Share *nix Host directory with Windows Guest OS in VirtualBox

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2010
      If anyone on the list wants to install the free VirtualBox on *nix to run Windows on *nix, here is how to share a *nix directory with the virtual(guest) OS.

      This was not as obvious to me until I got it working. It is always easier
      once you know the answer. ;-)

      1.) Go to the Details Tab of the desired Guest OS and click on Shared Folders.

      2.) Define the directory to use as a Shared Folder. Note: More than one directory may be specified.

      3.) Use the following command to "map" a Windows drive to the Guest OS shared directory.

      net use M: \\vboxsvr\shared directory name

      Where "M:" is a drive letter, it may be any available drive letter.

      Where "vboxsvr" is typed exactly as it appears.

      Where "shared directory name" is the name of the Host OS directory specified in step 1.).

      The command I used is:

      "net use M: \\vboxsvr\Downloads"

      This made the Windows drive M:\ open my Downloads directory on Linux.

      NOTE: This is persistent across sessions in Windows. The process for a Linux Guest OS is slightly different.
      Supposedly this is spelled out in the VirtualBox PDF manual.

      VirtualBox is available here: http://www.virtualbox.org

      ~ Larry
    • Al
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 18, 2010
        Larry Hamilton wrote:
        > If anyone on the list wants to install the free VirtualBox on *nix

        I'm guess that you mean the "puel" licensed one? It's the only binary.

        If I'm not mistaken, that (puel) is the one that is free for a personal
        use home user but that it costs money when used for business/commercial,
        etc. And it is not 100% open source (has/uses at least some closed
        source code)

        And then there is another, the "OSE" the Open Source Edition (contains
        no closed source. is 100% open source and is under the GPL license)

        http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

        It looks like it must be compiled from the source code by the end user.

        I'm soon to install the latest puel 64 bit X86 onto my Slackware 13.1 64
        bit X86 machine.

        BTW FWIW I've got something like a HP/UX box (not X86 architecture) a
        friend gave it to me. But I need ram to see if it will boot. If I find
        a ram on Ebay cheap enough, I may try out this box. It originally ran
        HP's own Unix. But there is a port of Debian that runs on it. And I
        could run everything else (Slackware, Win, etc.) in a virtual machine
        that virtualizes X86.

        That HP box is about like having the computing power of three X86 64 bit
        boxes all wrapped up into one box (I guess).

        --
        Alan.
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 19, 2010
          I am using the OSE version of Virtual Box. You can just install it on Ubuntu, and there is also a Windows install for it.

          Running Virtual Box on my Windows partition is a LOT slower than when I run it from Linux.

          Your very own mini computer could be run. Ought to be very fast with *nix on it.

          ~ Larry