Re: Ubuntu default text editor

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 22, 2010
      --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Ben B <benb_i26up@...> wrote:

      > On 7/22/2010 5:50:47 AM Larry Hamilton wrote regarding; "[ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text editor"
      >
      > > Thanks for this info!
      >
      > You're both welcome.
      >
      > Is there an advantage to doing this or is it just a personal preference?
      > I realize that extensions are meaningless to Linux but it's convenient
      > for me and I retain the habit.
      >
      > Ben B

      I think it is more personal preference. I like to use extensions so I can tell at a glance what a file is. Habit from 25+ years of DOS & Windows.

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 23, 2010
        --- On Thu, 7/22/10, Ben B <benb_i26up@...> wrote:

        > Is there an advantage to doing this or is it just a
        > personal preference?
        > I realize that extensions are meaningless to Linux but it's
        > convenient
        > for me and I retain the habit.
        >
        > Ben B

        It is personal preference. I create a LOT of plain text files in the same folder and it makes it easier to focus on the titles - just looks cleaner. Almost all other files retain an extension. Only exception I can think of is the editing file in Avidemux which is created without an extension and I have no idea what it is so can't add it.