Re: [ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text editor

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 22, 2010
      Ben - Thanks for this info!

      ~Larry

      --- On Thu, 7/22/10, Ben B <benb_i26up@...> wrote:

      > From: Ben B <benb_i26up@...>
      > Subject: Re: [ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text editor
      > To: ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Thursday, July 22, 2010, 12:36 AM
      > On 7/16/2010 10:33:26 AM sisterscape
      > wrote regarding; "[ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text
      > editor"
      >
      > > NoteTab requires an extension to save a text file
      > while Linux doesn't and I like to keep all my text files
      > with the name only.
      >
      > FWIW, NoteTab will allow me to create a file with no
      > extension if I
      > enclose the name in quotes.
      >
      > Ben B
    • Ben B
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 22, 2010
        On 7/22/2010 5:50:47 AM Larry Hamilton wrote regarding; "[ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text editor"

        > Thanks for this info!

        You're both welcome.

        Is there an advantage to doing this or is it just a personal preference?
        I realize that extensions are meaningless to Linux but it's convenient
        for me and I retain the habit.

        Ben B
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 22, 2010
          --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Ben B <benb_i26up@...> wrote:

          > On 7/22/2010 5:50:47 AM Larry Hamilton wrote regarding; "[ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text editor"
          >
          > > Thanks for this info!
          >
          > You're both welcome.
          >
          > Is there an advantage to doing this or is it just a personal preference?
          > I realize that extensions are meaningless to Linux but it's convenient
          > for me and I retain the habit.
          >
          > Ben B

          I think it is more personal preference. I like to use extensions so I can tell at a glance what a file is. Habit from 25+ years of DOS & Windows.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 23, 2010
            --- On Thu, 7/22/10, Ben B <benb_i26up@...> wrote:

            > Is there an advantage to doing this or is it just a
            > personal preference?
            > I realize that extensions are meaningless to Linux but it's
            > convenient
            > for me and I retain the habit.
            >
            > Ben B

            It is personal preference. I create a LOT of plain text files in the same folder and it makes it easier to focus on the titles - just looks cleaner. Almost all other files retain an extension. Only exception I can think of is the editing file in Avidemux which is created without an extension and I have no idea what it is so can't add it.