Re: [ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text editor

  • Al
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010
      sisterscape wrote:
      > --- On Wed, 7/21/10, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:
      >
      >> The boot/login sequence is U - G - L -
      >> Y!!! And can't yet be customized to my
      >> liking. Maybe there will be a way to do it eventually
      >> but not yet.
      >>

      > I was just notified via PM of a new tutorial on GRUB2 theming. You can download the pdf here:
      >
      > http://www.mediafire.com/?amub1vfdyfhj7v2
      >

      > Now if someone can do the same for the login, I just might consider Lucid at some point.

      I'm guess that that uses the Gnome desktop which would use the GDM (or)
      Gnome login manager/screen/dialog. Grub2 hasn't been out that long
      yet. But I do hear lots of good about it.

      Me, I'm a simple Slackware user. I set up my friend's Slackware so as
      to auto login to the KDE desktop. This uses KDM (kde login manager)
      They are ok with it (not ugly).

      BTW, XDM is the generic, an X Windows login manager which may be used
      for a variety of the different desktops.

      GDM, KDM, XDM

      But I use none of those three. Instead, I login on a terminal:

      al@P5Q:~$ Welcome to Linux 2.6.28.8-smp (tty1)

      al@P5Q:~$ startx

      and then I start X

      which I have configured so as to load the KDE desktop.

      I'm on 12.2 Slackware. I skipped the 13.0 release of Slackware.

      I'm soon to install 13.1 Slackware.

      When I do, I may use KDM. But I might not.

      It's Slackware. Do what you want to do.

      BTW Slackware defaults to Lilo but has a option to use Grub instead.
      Grub2 might be a Slackware /extra package by now (available for those
      who want to use it).

      Alan.

    • Al
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010
        sisterscape wrote:
        > --- On Wed, 7/21/10, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:
        >
        > <snip about login manager and Grub2 loader>

        al@P5Q:~$ which startx
        /usr/bin/startx
        al@P5Q:~$ which kdm
        /usr/bin/kdm
        al@P5Q:~$ which gdm
        which: no gdm in
        (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/java/bin:/usr/lib/java/jre/bin:/usr/lib/qt/bin:/usr/share/texmf/bin:.:/home/al/bin)
        al@P5Q:~$ which xdm
        /usr/bin/xdm
        al@P5Q:~$

        Oop, I forgot -- Slackware does not have Gnome which is why Slackware
        also does not have gdm

        bye. Alan.
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 22, 2010
          Ben - Thanks for this info!

          ~Larry

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 22, 2010
            On 7/22/2010 5:50:47 AM Larry Hamilton wrote regarding; "[ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text editor"

            > Thanks for this info!

            You're both welcome.

            Is there an advantage to doing this or is it just a personal preference?
            I realize that extensions are meaningless to Linux but it's convenient
            for me and I retain the habit.

            Ben B
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 22, 2010
              --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Ben B <benb_i26up@...> wrote:

              > On 7/22/2010 5:50:47 AM Larry Hamilton wrote regarding; "[ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text editor"
              >
              > > Thanks for this info!
              >
              > You're both welcome.
              >
              > Is there an advantage to doing this or is it just a personal preference?
              > I realize that extensions are meaningless to Linux but it's convenient
              > for me and I retain the habit.
              >
              > Ben B

              I think it is more personal preference. I like to use extensions so I can tell at a glance what a file is. Habit from 25+ years of DOS & Windows.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 23, 2010
                --- On Thu, 7/22/10, Ben B <benb_i26up@...> wrote:

                > Is there an advantage to doing this or is it just a
                > personal preference?
                > I realize that extensions are meaningless to Linux but it's
                > convenient
                > for me and I retain the habit.
                >
                > Ben B

                It is personal preference. I create a LOT of plain text files in the same folder and it makes it easier to focus on the titles - just looks cleaner. Almost all other files retain an extension. Only exception I can think of is the editing file in Avidemux which is created without an extension and I have no idea what it is so can't add it.