Re: [ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text editor

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010
      --- On Wed, 7/21/10, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

      > The boot/login sequence is U - G - L -
      > Y!!!   And can't yet be customized to my
      > liking.  Maybe there will be a way to do it eventually
      > but not yet.

      I was just notified via PM of a new tutorial on GRUB2 theming. You can download the pdf here:

      http://www.mediafire.com/?amub1vfdyfhj7v2

      Now if someone can do the same for the login, I just might consider Lucid at some point.
    • Ben B
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010
        On 7/16/2010 10:33:26 AM sisterscape wrote regarding; "[ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text editor"

        > NoteTab requires an extension to save a text file while Linux doesn't and I like to keep all my text files with the name only.

        FWIW, NoteTab will allow me to create a file with no extension if I
        enclose the name in quotes.

        Ben B
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010
          Great! Thanks for the tip!!

          --- On Wed, 7/21/10, Ben B <benb_i26up@...> wrote:

          > FWIW, NoteTab will allow me to create a file with no
          > extension if I
          > enclose the name in quotes.
          >
          > Ben B

        • Al
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010
            sisterscape wrote:
            > --- On Wed, 7/21/10, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:
            >
            >> The boot/login sequence is U - G - L -
            >> Y!!! And can't yet be customized to my
            >> liking. Maybe there will be a way to do it eventually
            >> but not yet.
            >>

            > I was just notified via PM of a new tutorial on GRUB2 theming. You can download the pdf here:
            >
            > http://www.mediafire.com/?amub1vfdyfhj7v2
            >

            > Now if someone can do the same for the login, I just might consider Lucid at some point.

            I'm guess that that uses the Gnome desktop which would use the GDM (or)
            Gnome login manager/screen/dialog. Grub2 hasn't been out that long
            yet. But I do hear lots of good about it.

            Me, I'm a simple Slackware user. I set up my friend's Slackware so as
            to auto login to the KDE desktop. This uses KDM (kde login manager)
            They are ok with it (not ugly).

            BTW, XDM is the generic, an X Windows login manager which may be used
            for a variety of the different desktops.

            GDM, KDM, XDM

            But I use none of those three. Instead, I login on a terminal:

            al@P5Q:~$ Welcome to Linux 2.6.28.8-smp (tty1)

            al@P5Q:~$ startx

            and then I start X

            which I have configured so as to load the KDE desktop.

            I'm on 12.2 Slackware. I skipped the 13.0 release of Slackware.

            I'm soon to install 13.1 Slackware.

            When I do, I may use KDM. But I might not.

            It's Slackware. Do what you want to do.

            BTW Slackware defaults to Lilo but has a option to use Grub instead.
            Grub2 might be a Slackware /extra package by now (available for those
            who want to use it).

            Alan.

          • Al
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 21, 2010
              sisterscape wrote:
              > --- On Wed, 7/21/10, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:
              >
              > <snip about login manager and Grub2 loader>

              al@P5Q:~$ which startx
              /usr/bin/startx
              al@P5Q:~$ which kdm
              /usr/bin/kdm
              al@P5Q:~$ which gdm
              which: no gdm in
              (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/java/bin:/usr/lib/java/jre/bin:/usr/lib/qt/bin:/usr/share/texmf/bin:.:/home/al/bin)
              al@P5Q:~$ which xdm
              /usr/bin/xdm
              al@P5Q:~$

              Oop, I forgot -- Slackware does not have Gnome which is why Slackware
              also does not have gdm

              bye. Alan.
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 22, 2010
                Ben - Thanks for this info!

                ~Larry

                > wrote regarding; "[ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text
                > editor"
                >
                > > NoteTab requires an extension to save a text file
                > while Linux doesn't and I like to keep all my text files
                > with the name only.
                >
                > FWIW, NoteTab will allow me to create a file with no
                > extension if I
                > enclose the name in quotes.
                >
                > Ben B
              • Ben B
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 22, 2010
                  On 7/22/2010 5:50:47 AM Larry Hamilton wrote regarding; "[ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text editor"

                  > Thanks for this info!

                  You're both welcome.

                  Is there an advantage to doing this or is it just a personal preference?
                  I realize that extensions are meaningless to Linux but it's convenient
                  for me and I retain the habit.

                  Ben B
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 22, 2010
                    --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Ben B <benb_i26up@...> wrote:

                    > On 7/22/2010 5:50:47 AM Larry Hamilton wrote regarding; "[ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text editor"
                    >
                    > > Thanks for this info!
                    >
                    > You're both welcome.
                    >
                    > Is there an advantage to doing this or is it just a personal preference?
                    > I realize that extensions are meaningless to Linux but it's convenient
                    > for me and I retain the habit.
                    >
                    > Ben B

                    I think it is more personal preference. I like to use extensions so I can tell at a glance what a file is. Habit from 25+ years of DOS & Windows.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 23, 2010
                      --- On Thu, 7/22/10, Ben B <benb_i26up@...> wrote:

                      > Is there an advantage to doing this or is it just a
                      > personal preference?
                      > I realize that extensions are meaningless to Linux but it's
                      > convenient
                      > for me and I retain the habit.
                      >
                      > Ben B

                      It is personal preference. I create a LOT of plain text files in the same folder and it makes it easier to focus on the titles - just looks cleaner. Almost all other files retain an extension. Only exception I can think of is the editing file in Avidemux which is created without an extension and I have no idea what it is so can't add it.