Re: [ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text editor

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 21 7:45 AM
      --- On Wed, 7/21/10, Lee Underwood <leeu@...> wrote:

      > From: Lee Underwood <leeu@...>
      > Subject: Re: [ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text editor
      > To: ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Wednesday, July 21, 2010, 8:45 AM
      > What exactly was wrong with it? I
      > have seen others say that Lucid is fantastic. (Of course,
      > some people think anything new is fantastic, hence the
      > inquiry ...)
      >
      > Lee

      The boot/login sequence is U - G - L - Y!!! And can't yet be customized to my liking. Maybe there will be a way to do it eventually but not yet.
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 21 7:22 PM
        --- On Wed, 7/21/10, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

        > The boot/login sequence is U - G - L -
        > Y!!!   And can't yet be customized to my
        > liking.  Maybe there will be a way to do it eventually
        > but not yet.

        I was just notified via PM of a new tutorial on GRUB2 theming. You can download the pdf here:

        http://www.mediafire.com/?amub1vfdyfhj7v2

        Now if someone can do the same for the login, I just might consider Lucid at some point.
      • Ben B
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 21 9:36 PM
          On 7/16/2010 10:33:26 AM sisterscape wrote regarding; "[ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text editor"

          > NoteTab requires an extension to save a text file while Linux doesn't and I like to keep all my text files with the name only.

          FWIW, NoteTab will allow me to create a file with no extension if I
          enclose the name in quotes.

          Ben B
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 21 10:14 PM
            Great! Thanks for the tip!!

            --- On Wed, 7/21/10, Ben B <benb_i26up@...> wrote:

            > FWIW, NoteTab will allow me to create a file with no
            > extension if I
            > enclose the name in quotes.
            >
            > Ben B

          • Al
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 21 11:01 PM
              sisterscape wrote:
              > --- On Wed, 7/21/10, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:
              >
              >> The boot/login sequence is U - G - L -
              >> Y!!! And can't yet be customized to my
              >> liking. Maybe there will be a way to do it eventually
              >> but not yet.
              >>

              > I was just notified via PM of a new tutorial on GRUB2 theming. You can download the pdf here:
              >
              > http://www.mediafire.com/?amub1vfdyfhj7v2
              >

              > Now if someone can do the same for the login, I just might consider Lucid at some point.

              I'm guess that that uses the Gnome desktop which would use the GDM (or)
              Gnome login manager/screen/dialog. Grub2 hasn't been out that long
              yet. But I do hear lots of good about it.

              Me, I'm a simple Slackware user. I set up my friend's Slackware so as
              to auto login to the KDE desktop. This uses KDM (kde login manager)
              They are ok with it (not ugly).

              BTW, XDM is the generic, an X Windows login manager which may be used
              for a variety of the different desktops.

              GDM, KDM, XDM

              But I use none of those three. Instead, I login on a terminal:

              al@P5Q:~$ Welcome to Linux 2.6.28.8-smp (tty1)

              al@P5Q:~$ startx

              and then I start X

              which I have configured so as to load the KDE desktop.

              I'm on 12.2 Slackware. I skipped the 13.0 release of Slackware.

              I'm soon to install 13.1 Slackware.

              When I do, I may use KDM. But I might not.

              It's Slackware. Do what you want to do.

              BTW Slackware defaults to Lilo but has a option to use Grub instead.
              Grub2 might be a Slackware /extra package by now (available for those
              who want to use it).

              Alan.

            • Al
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 21 11:15 PM
                sisterscape wrote:
                > --- On Wed, 7/21/10, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:
                >
                > <snip about login manager and Grub2 loader>

                al@P5Q:~$ which startx
                /usr/bin/startx
                al@P5Q:~$ which kdm
                /usr/bin/kdm
                al@P5Q:~$ which gdm
                which: no gdm in
                (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/java/bin:/usr/lib/java/jre/bin:/usr/lib/qt/bin:/usr/share/texmf/bin:.:/home/al/bin)
                al@P5Q:~$ which xdm
                /usr/bin/xdm
                al@P5Q:~$

                Oop, I forgot -- Slackware does not have Gnome which is why Slackware
                also does not have gdm

                bye. Alan.
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 22 5:50 AM
                  Ben - Thanks for this info!

                  ~Larry

                  > wrote regarding; "[ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text
                  > editor"
                  >
                  > > NoteTab requires an extension to save a text file
                  > while Linux doesn't and I like to keep all my text files
                  > with the name only.
                  >
                  > FWIW, NoteTab will allow me to create a file with no
                  > extension if I
                  > enclose the name in quotes.
                  >
                  > Ben B
                • Ben B
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 22 9:20 PM
                    On 7/22/2010 5:50:47 AM Larry Hamilton wrote regarding; "[ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text editor"

                    > Thanks for this info!

                    You're both welcome.

                    Is there an advantage to doing this or is it just a personal preference?
                    I realize that extensions are meaningless to Linux but it's convenient
                    for me and I retain the habit.

                    Ben B
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 22 9:26 PM
                      --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Ben B <benb_i26up@...> wrote:

                      > On 7/22/2010 5:50:47 AM Larry Hamilton wrote regarding; "[ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text editor"
                      >
                      > > Thanks for this info!
                      >
                      > You're both welcome.
                      >
                      > Is there an advantage to doing this or is it just a personal preference?
                      > I realize that extensions are meaningless to Linux but it's convenient
                      > for me and I retain the habit.
                      >
                      > Ben B

                      I think it is more personal preference. I like to use extensions so I can tell at a glance what a file is. Habit from 25+ years of DOS & Windows.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 23 6:41 AM
                        --- On Thu, 7/22/10, Ben B <benb_i26up@...> wrote:

                        > Is there an advantage to doing this or is it just a
                        > personal preference?
                        > I realize that extensions are meaningless to Linux but it's
                        > convenient
                        > for me and I retain the habit.
                        >
                        > Ben B

                        It is personal preference. I create a LOT of plain text files in the same folder and it makes it easier to focus on the titles - just looks cleaner. Almost all other files retain an extension. Only exception I can think of is the editing file in Avidemux which is created without an extension and I have no idea what it is so can't add it.