Re: [ntb-linux] NTB clipbooks on a MacOSX

    Message 1 of 21 , May 25, 2010
      Linux is a Unix like OS and Mac OS X is based on BSD Unix, so it should be very close.

      Larry Hamilton

      Message 2 of 21 , May 25, 2010
        Hi again

        Thanks for your suggestions. You encouraged me to keep on digging. And lo and behold, I did find it! The path had fourteen levels, with a structural logic that was beyond my feeble mind, so it took some ferreting. Evidently the whole branch where this (and lots of other stuff) is placed is outside the scope of file searches, making it the Mac equivalent of dot-files I guess.

        Again thank you all. This was quite satisfying.

        //Claes

        --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

        > Linux is a Unix like OS and Mac OS X is based on BSD Unix, so it should be very close.
        >
        > Larry Hamilton

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 21 , May 25, 2010
          On 2010-05-25 18:26, cgauffin wrote:
          > Thanks for your suggestions. You encouraged me to keep on digging. And
          > lo and behold, I did find it! The path had fourteen levels, with a
          > structural logic that was beyond my feeble mind, so it took some
          > ferreting. Evidently the whole branch where this (and lots of other
          > stuff) is placed is outside the scope of file searches, making it the
          > Mac equivalent of dot-files I guess.
          Curiosity only (not a mac or linux user). Could you post the path where
          you eventually found the ctb files?
          Message 4 of 21 , May 25, 2010
            --- On Tue, 5/25/10, cgauffin <cgauffin@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for your suggestions. You encouraged me to keep on
            > digging. And lo and behold, I did find it! The path had
            > fourteen levels, with a structural logic that was beyond my
            > feeble mind, so it took some ferreting. Evidently the whole
            > branch where this (and lots of other stuff) is placed is
            > outside the scope of file searches, making it the Mac
            > equivalent of dot-files I guess.

            I will never own a Mac but when I have to use one, it's these kind of things that drive me nuts and have me muttering obscenities under my breath.
          • Al
            Message 5 of 21 , May 25, 2010
              except for I don't recall if these (find that) I listed work on a path
              with space(s) [Linux traditionally does not ever use a space(s) in a
              file or directory name] but (windows stuff) in Wine does uses spaces.

              They do recurse down through hidden folders. They do list out the path
              of each found item.

              FWIW on Linux, I've listed two separate find commands as follows

              begin search from the root of the drive:

              find / -iname '*.clb'

              begin search from current directory:

              find . -iname '*.clb'

            • Len Tyree
              Message 6 of 21 , May 26, 2010
                Hi and thanks...
                But I do not understand why I am getting all of these e-mails explaining the NTB workings on a MAC OS system.

                I am running Ubuntu 10.04, and the problem is I am unable to extract anything from my USB Drive, a seagate 160 GB drive. The system says it does not recognize the drive??? It did work ok on ubuntu 9.10, but then it closed down??

                I reloaded Ubuntu 9.10 but then it would not work again??

                Any ideas?

                ________________________________

                cgauffin wrote:
                > Hi again
                >
                > Thanks for your suggestions. You encouraged me to keep on digging. And lo and behold, I did find it! The path had fourteen levels, with a structural logic that was beyond my feeble mind, so it took some ferreting. Evidently the whole branch where this (and lots of other stuff) is placed is outside the scope of file searches, making it the Mac equivalent of dot-files I guess.
                >
                > Again thank you all. This was quite satisfying.
                >
                > //Claes
                >
                > --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Linux is a Unix like OS and Mac OS X is based on BSD Unix, so it should be very close.
                >>
                >> Larry Hamilton

              • Len Tyree

                  > Thanks for your suggestions. You encouraged me to keep on
                  > digging. And lo and behold, I did find it! The path had
                  > fourteen levels, with a structural logic that was beyond my
                  > feeble mind, so it took some ferreting. Evidently the whole
                  > branch where this (and lots of other stuff) is placed is
                  > outside the scope of file searches, making it the Mac
                  > equivalent of dot-files I guess.

                  I will never own a Mac but when I have to use one, it's these kind of things that drive me nuts and have me muttering obscenities under my breath.

                • Len Tyree

                    > Thanks for your suggestions. You encouraged me to keep on digging. And
                    > lo and behold, I did find it! The path had fourteen levels, with a
                    > structural logic that was beyond my feeble mind, so it took some
                    > ferreting. Evidently the whole branch where this (and lots of other
                    > stuff) is placed is outside the scope of file searches, making it the
                    > Mac equivalent of dot-files I guess.
                    Curiosity only (not a mac or linux user). Could you post the path where
                    you eventually found the ctb files?

                  • Len Tyree

                      Thanks for your suggestions. You encouraged me to keep on digging. And lo and behold, I did find it! The path had fourteen levels, with a structural logic that was beyond my feeble mind, so it took some ferreting. Evidently the whole branch where this (and lots of other stuff) is placed is outside the scope of file searches, making it the Mac equivalent of dot-files I guess.

                      Again thank you all. This was quite satisfying.

                      //Claes

                      --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

                      > Linux is a Unix like OS and Mac OS X is based on BSD Unix, so it should be very close.
                      >
                      > Larry Hamilton

                        • Greg Chapman
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 26, 2010
                            Hi Len,

                            On 26 May 10 08:00 Len Tyree <len_tyree@...> said:
                            > But I do not understand why I am getting all of these e-mails
                            > explaining the NTB workings on a MAC OS system.

                            And I do not understand why you should feel the need to spam this
                            list.

                            You have joined a list that discusses NoteTab on Linux. Earlier in
                            this thread it was established that MacOS is based on a variety on
                            Unix as is Linux.

                            The moderators have clearly decided that this is close enough to the
                            list objectives to be allowed.

                            If you wish to challenge this decision, please take it up with the
                            list owner in private mail and not by spamming this list. As with all
                            Yahoo-based lists you can do this through a mail to:
                            ntb-linux-owner@yahoogroups.com

                            Greg
                          • cgauffin
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 26, 2010
                              Feast your eyes:

                              Mac HD > Users > Claes > Library > Application support > Wine > prefixes > NoteTab > drive_c > users > claes > Application data > NoteTab Pro > Libraries

                              //Claes

                              Message 14 of 21 , May 26, 2010
                                Quote from the description if this group:

                                ...The purpose of this list is to collect the group knowledge of the best tips, tricks, and tweaks for running NoteTab on Linux and other non-Windows operating systems. Common topics will be Linux, Unix, Mac OSX, Wine, ...

                                //Claes

                                --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Len Tyree <len_tyree@...> wrote:

                                > Hi and thanks...
                                > But I do not understand why I am getting all of these e-mails explaining the NTB workings on a MAC OS system.
                                >
                                > I am running Ubuntu 10.04, and the problem is I am unable to extract anything from my USB Drive, a seagate 160 GB drive. The system says it does not recognize the drive??? It did work ok on ubuntu 9.10, but then it closed down??
                                >
                                > I reloaded Ubuntu 9.10 but then it would not work again??
                                >
                                > Any ideas?
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • Len Tyree
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 26, 2010
                                  Hi Greg:
                                  Did not mean to 'spam' anything. Just wanted to understand why those e-mails (6) were sent to me concerning something I knew nothing about. Maybe I signed up to a NoteTab forum or something long ago, and now forgot about. I had NoteTab Pro when I was on Windows, but had a hard time getting it back when I went to Ubuntu/Linux; sent Fookes a message or two, and finally got it back, but had to fork up another $19 for it. No problem. (It's worth it).

                                  I responded to each one of those messages with the same message not knowing that they would land on the same desk. No spam, sorry.
                                  Len Tyree.

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 26, 2010
                                    I started this list for anyone wanting to use NoteTab on systems other than Windows. It is mostly using Wine on Linux, since that is what most of us use, but any OS that can run Wine (or even emulators), is welcome discussion.

                                    Larry Hamilton

                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 26, 2010
                                      Claes,

                                      Thanks for this path. I am sure it will be helpful next time another user has a question with Wine on Mac.

                                      Man, that is one long convoluted path though.

                                      Larry Hamilton

                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 26, 2010
                                        http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ubuntu-63/

                                        Rather likely your query re Ubuntu and USB etc. will get answered (if
                                        not already answered - be sure to search the forum) if you look there.

                                        Lots hits for you returned at next re "ubuntu/usb"

                                        http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Alinuxquestions.org%2Fquestions%2Fubuntu-63%2F+usb&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

                                        site:whatever_domain.com searchword