NTB clipbooks on a MacOSX

  • cgauffin
    Message 1 of 21 , May 24, 2010
      Hello
      I am an old user of NTB in Windows. Half a year ago I switched to a Macintosh. After suffering severely from NTB abstinence, I finally managed to bumble through an installation via Wine and Winebottle, although I have to confess that I didn't grasp half of what I was doing.

      One surprising issue turned out to be that none of the existing clipbook libraries were available. Even more surprising however, was that it was quite possible to create new clipbook libraries, and I have laboriously, but successfully recreated the clipbooks that I need.

      But most surprising is that I am completely unable to find where these newly created clipbook libraries are placed. I have tried searching the whole computer for the created .clb-files, and even searched for unique strings placed inside the clips, but to no avail.

      This is not a serious issue, NTB is running fine, but it is irritating, not least since I have this feeling that it is simply a stupid oversight. I am aware that this group mainly deals with Linux installations, but Mac OSX is also mentioned, so I am taking a chance that there might be someone who can give me a hint.

      TIA //Claes
    • Al
      Message 2 of 21 , May 24, 2010
        Hi

        In Wine in Linux maybe the wine folder name begins with a dot.

        Such (any folder name begins with a dot) is a hidden folder in Linux

        ls -la

        the above is a Linux command that displays the hidden folders too
        (command for use in a terminal).

        I don't know Mac. But in linux you'd (likely may) need to see the
        hidden folders in order to find where the .clb are kept.

        Alan.
      • Gerard Huijing
        Message 3 of 21 , May 25, 2010
          On 05/25/2010 06:42 AM, Al wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > In Wine in Linux maybe the wine folder name begins with a dot.
          >
          > Such (any folder name begins with a dot) is a hidden folder in Linux
          >
          > ls -la
          >
          > the above is a Linux command that displays the hidden folders too
          > (command for use in a terminal).
          >
          > I don't know Mac. But in linux you'd (likely may) need to see the
          > hidden folders in order to find where the .clb are kept.
          >
          > Alan.

          If you drill down to NTB Libraries via /home/<user>/.wine/ you will find
          an empty (NTB) Libraries folder in the end.

          Drilling down your mounted windows partition, however, will find you
          your *.clb files.

          If I launch NTB with wine (under Fedora 12), NoteTab loads all the Clips
          in the Program Files\NoteTab\Libraries folder.

          The location of the Clips may be a pointer.

          If the Clips are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\,
          or C:\Users etc in Windows 7, you may have to do some extra configuring
          of wine or possibly copying the Clips to the NTB program
          folder\libraries will be enough.

          But this is all Linux talk and I wonder/doubt if the original poster
          with the MAC OS problem can do anything with this info.

          Cheers
          Gerard

          --
          Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
          2312 ZD Leiden
          Message 4 of 21 , May 25, 2010
            Linux is a Unix like OS and Mac OS X is based on BSD Unix, so it should be very close.

            Larry Hamilton

            > > In Wine in Linux maybe the wine folder name begins
            > with a dot.
            > >
            > > Such (any folder name begins with a dot) is a hidden
            > folder in Linux
            > >
            > > ls -la
            > >
            > > the above is a Linux command that displays the hidden
            > folders too
            > > (command for use in a terminal).
            > >
            > > I don't know Mac. But in linux you'd (likely may) need
            > to see the
            > > hidden folders in order to find where the .clb are
            > kept.
            > >
            > > Alan.
            >
            > If you drill down to NTB Libraries via
            > /home/<user>/.wine/ you will find
            > an empty (NTB) Libraries folder in the end.
            >
            > Drilling down your mounted windows partition, however, will
            > find you
            > your *.clb files.
            >
            > If I launch NTB with wine (under Fedora 12), NoteTab loads
            > all the Clips
            > in the Program Files\NoteTab\Libraries folder.
            >
            > The location of the Clips may be a pointer.
            >
            > If the Clips are stored in C:\Documents and
            > Settings\Application Data\,
            > or C:\Users etc in Windows 7, you may have to do some extra
            > configuring
            > of wine or possibly copying the Clips to the NTB program
            > folder\libraries will be enough.
            >
            > But this is all Linux talk and I wonder/doubt if the
            > original poster
            > with the MAC OS problem can do anything with this info.
            >
            > Cheers
            > Gerard
            >
            > --
            > Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
            > 2312 ZD Leiden
            > Netherlands
            > inboxgen@...

            >     ntb-linux-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          • cgauffin
            Message 5 of 21 , May 25, 2010
              Hi again

              Thanks for your suggestions. You encouraged me to keep on digging. And lo and behold, I did find it! The path had fourteen levels, with a structural logic that was beyond my feeble mind, so it took some ferreting. Evidently the whole branch where this (and lots of other stuff) is placed is outside the scope of file searches, making it the Mac equivalent of dot-files I guess.

              Again thank you all. This was quite satisfying.

              //Claes

              --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

              > Linux is a Unix like OS and Mac OS X is based on BSD Unix, so it should be very close.
              >
              > Larry Hamilton

            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 21 , May 25, 2010
                On 2010-05-25 18:26, cgauffin wrote:
                > Thanks for your suggestions. You encouraged me to keep on digging. And
                > lo and behold, I did find it! The path had fourteen levels, with a
                > structural logic that was beyond my feeble mind, so it took some
                > ferreting. Evidently the whole branch where this (and lots of other
                > stuff) is placed is outside the scope of file searches, making it the
                > Mac equivalent of dot-files I guess.
                Curiosity only (not a mac or linux user). Could you post the path where
                you eventually found the ctb files?
                Message 7 of 21 , May 25, 2010
                  --- On Tue, 5/25/10, cgauffin <cgauffin@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for your suggestions. You encouraged me to keep on
                  > digging. And lo and behold, I did find it! The path had
                  > fourteen levels, with a structural logic that was beyond my
                  > feeble mind, so it took some ferreting. Evidently the whole
                  > branch where this (and lots of other stuff) is placed is
                  > outside the scope of file searches, making it the Mac
                  > equivalent of dot-files I guess.

                  I will never own a Mac but when I have to use one, it's these kind of things that drive me nuts and have me muttering obscenities under my breath.
                • Al
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 25, 2010
                    except for I don't recall if these (find that) I listed work on a path
                    with space(s) [Linux traditionally does not ever use a space(s) in a
                    file or directory name] but (windows stuff) in Wine does uses spaces.

                    They do recurse down through hidden folders. They do list out the path
                    of each found item.

                    FWIW on Linux, I've listed two separate find commands as follows

                    begin search from the root of the drive:

                    find / -iname '*.clb'

                    begin search from current directory:

                    find . -iname '*.clb'

                  • Len Tyree
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 26, 2010
                      Hi and thanks...
                      But I do not understand why I am getting all of these e-mails explaining the NTB workings on a MAC OS system.

                      I am running Ubuntu 10.04, and the problem is I am unable to extract anything from my USB Drive, a seagate 160 GB drive. The system says it does not recognize the drive??? It did work ok on ubuntu 9.10, but then it closed down??

                      I reloaded Ubuntu 9.10 but then it would not work again??

                      Any ideas?

                      ________________________________

                      cgauffin wrote:
                      > Hi again
                      >
                      > Thanks for your suggestions. You encouraged me to keep on digging. And lo and behold, I did find it! The path had fourteen levels, with a structural logic that was beyond my feeble mind, so it took some ferreting. Evidently the whole branch where this (and lots of other stuff) is placed is outside the scope of file searches, making it the Mac equivalent of dot-files I guess.
                      >
                      > Again thank you all. This was quite satisfying.
                      >
                      > //Claes
                      >
                      > --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Linux is a Unix like OS and Mac OS X is based on BSD Unix, so it should be very close.
                      >>
                      >> Larry Hamilton

                    • Len Tyree

                        > Thanks for your suggestions. You encouraged me to keep on
                        > digging. And lo and behold, I did find it! The path had
                        > fourteen levels, with a structural logic that was beyond my
                        > feeble mind, so it took some ferreting. Evidently the whole
                        > branch where this (and lots of other stuff) is placed is
                        > outside the scope of file searches, making it the Mac
                        > equivalent of dot-files I guess.

                        I will never own a Mac but when I have to use one, it's these kind of things that drive me nuts and have me muttering obscenities under my breath.

                      • Len Tyree

                          > Thanks for your suggestions. You encouraged me to keep on digging. And
                          > lo and behold, I did find it! The path had fourteen levels, with a
                          > structural logic that was beyond my feeble mind, so it took some
                          > ferreting. Evidently the whole branch where this (and lots of other
                          > stuff) is placed is outside the scope of file searches, making it the
                          > Mac equivalent of dot-files I guess.
                          Curiosity only (not a mac or linux user). Could you post the path where
                          you eventually found the ctb files?

                        • Len Tyree

                            Thanks for your suggestions. You encouraged me to keep on digging. And lo and behold, I did find it! The path had fourteen levels, with a structural logic that was beyond my feeble mind, so it took some ferreting. Evidently the whole branch where this (and lots of other stuff) is placed is outside the scope of file searches, making it the Mac equivalent of dot-files I guess.

                            Again thank you all. This was quite satisfying.

                            //Claes

                            --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

                            > Linux is a Unix like OS and Mac OS X is based on BSD Unix, so it should be very close.
                            >
                            > Larry Hamilton

                              • Greg Chapman
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 26, 2010
                                  Hi Len,

                                  On 26 May 10 08:00 Len Tyree <len_tyree@...> said:
                                  > But I do not understand why I am getting all of these e-mails
                                  > explaining the NTB workings on a MAC OS system.

                                  And I do not understand why you should feel the need to spam this
                                  list.

                                  You have joined a list that discusses NoteTab on Linux. Earlier in
                                  this thread it was established that MacOS is based on a variety on
                                  Unix as is Linux.

                                  The moderators have clearly decided that this is close enough to the
                                  list objectives to be allowed.

                                  If you wish to challenge this decision, please take it up with the
                                  list owner in private mail and not by spamming this list. As with all
                                  Yahoo-based lists you can do this through a mail to:
                                  ntb-linux-owner@yahoogroups.com

                                  Greg
                                • cgauffin
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 26, 2010
                                    Feast your eyes:

                                    Mac HD > Users > Claes > Library > Application support > Wine > prefixes > NoteTab > drive_c > users > claes > Application data > NoteTab Pro > Libraries

                                    //Claes

                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 26, 2010
                                      Quote from the description if this group:

                                      ...The purpose of this list is to collect the group knowledge of the best tips, tricks, and tweaks for running NoteTab on Linux and other non-Windows operating systems. Common topics will be Linux, Unix, Mac OSX, Wine, ...

                                      //Claes

                                      --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Len Tyree <len_tyree@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi and thanks...
                                      > But I do not understand why I am getting all of these e-mails explaining the NTB workings on a MAC OS system.
                                      >
                                      > I am running Ubuntu 10.04, and the problem is I am unable to extract anything from my USB Drive, a seagate 160 GB drive. The system says it does not recognize the drive??? It did work ok on ubuntu 9.10, but then it closed down??
                                      >
                                      > I reloaded Ubuntu 9.10 but then it would not work again??
                                      >
                                      > Any ideas?
                                      >

                                      > ________________________________

                                    • Len Tyree
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 26, 2010
                                        Hi Greg:
                                        Did not mean to 'spam' anything. Just wanted to understand why those e-mails (6) were sent to me concerning something I knew nothing about. Maybe I signed up to a NoteTab forum or something long ago, and now forgot about. I had NoteTab Pro when I was on Windows, but had a hard time getting it back when I went to Ubuntu/Linux; sent Fookes a message or two, and finally got it back, but had to fork up another $19 for it. No problem. (It's worth it).

                                        I responded to each one of those messages with the same message not knowing that they would land on the same desk. No spam, sorry.
                                        Len Tyree.

                                        ________________________________

                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 26, 2010
                                          I started this list for anyone wanting to use NoteTab on systems other than Windows. It is mostly using Wine on Linux, since that is what most of us use, but any OS that can run Wine (or even emulators), is welcome discussion.

                                          Larry Hamilton

                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 26, 2010
                                            Claes,

                                            Thanks for this path. I am sure it will be helpful next time another user has a question with Wine on Mac.

                                            Man, that is one long convoluted path though.

                                            Larry Hamilton

                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 26, 2010
                                              http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ubuntu-63/

                                              Rather likely your query re Ubuntu and USB etc. will get answered (if
                                              not already answered - be sure to search the forum) if you look there.

                                              Lots hits for you returned at next re "ubuntu/usb"

                                              http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Alinuxquestions.org%2Fquestions%2Fubuntu-63%2F+usb&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

                                              site:whatever_domain.com searchword