Moved from Slackware to Ubuntu

    Message 1 of 4 , May 17 4:30 PM
      I goofed when I was updating my Slackware 12.1 to 12.2 and it would not boot.

      I set aside plenty of time, but must have done something wrong, or it was just time for the gremlins to play.

      I found some helpful information and was able to get at my Linux partitions, but nothing I tried would make it boot.

      I ran out of time & patience, so I pulled out my Hardy Heron boot CD and installed over my Slackware / partition.

      Since my CD is Hardy, it had a lot of updates to pull, but still less than a full boot CD for Jaunty.

      I've got it back up and running, as you can see from this post.

      I still have to run down a few programs and plan to upgrade to Hardy.

      Wine 1.1.21 runs well, with the normal issues.

      Only complaint about Ubuntu, is that it is not as easy on this 7-1/2 year old PC as is Slackware.

      I'll switch back to Slackware once I have time to do a clean install, but that will probably be awhile.

      By running Ubuntu on my main PC, which most others seem to run, I should be able to identify the issues others have. I'm getting different messages in the command window when launching NoteTab Pro from the prompt than I got in Slackware. On Slackware I used XFCE for the window manager, instead of Gnome. That may be part of the difference in messages. I'll just have to see.

      Hope all is well. With the long weekend coming up, I may not have time to spend at the computer, so until next time, have a great day!

      ~ Larry
    • Alan C
      Message 2 of 4 , May 17 8:30 PM
        On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 4:30 PM, lm_hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote
        <snip>

        > I'm getting different messages in the command window when launching NoteTab
        > Pro from the prompt than I got in Slackware. On Slackware I used XFCE for
        > the window manager, instead of Gnome. That may be part of the difference in
        > messages. I'll just have to see.

        I think most likely so. (at least some) but how much, I do not know. And,
        how Ubuntu runs which version of the X server (versus Slackware). Also user
        versus kernel space things in the two different O.S.

        I suspect that XFCE leans towards "more generic" IOW less of its own
        specific customizations (less of disturbance/impact to sys, X, kernel, user
        space, things outside of XFCE) (I speak of the "hook" kind here) hooks into
        sys things, affects how (XFCE) interacts with the X server and others.

        A Gnome package for Slackware typically modifies near/upwards of 12 of the
        official (KDE equipped Slackware whether or not KDE happens to be installed
        is not relevant) Slackware packages.

        According to Gnome, "this is how it is done."

        According to KDE, "this is how it is done."

        each of those 2 are different, how they hook into the sys, kernel, user
        space, how they hook up with X server.

        Alan.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 18 9:48 AM
          Well, that's not a fun way to spend a weekend. Lots of sympathy from me. :)
          The upside is that you will be more in sync with our observations. Obviously there won't be any from me as I'm still on wine-1.0. If it works . . .

          Message 4 of 4 , May 19 6:50 AM

            > Well, that's not a fun way to spend a weekend. Lots of sympathy from me. :)
            > The upside is that you will be more in sync with our observations. Obviously there won't be any from me as I'm still on wine-1.0. If it works . . .

            Yes, it was a tiring weekend. I think I finally have all my usual software in place.

            Having the apt repository available made for an interesting read, and a few new packages to play with. It's too easy to waste time looking over all the goodies that are available.

            I have a PC with Ubuntu, but I only fire it up on occasion, so it will be much more handy this way.

            Hopefully we can make more progress this way.