Re: [ntb-linux] Re: Funny codes after pasting emails into NoteTab

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 23, 2008
      --- On Tue, 12/23/08, Lee Underwood <leeu@...> wrote:

      > From: Lee Underwood <leeu@...>
      > Subject: Re: [ntb-linux] Re: Funny codes after pasting emails into NoteTab
      > To: ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Tuesday, December 23, 2008, 12:52 PM
      > | If you do not want to deal with Unicode, you can change
      > your Linux
      > | installation's character set from UTF-8 to the
      > English Character Set,
      > | ISO 8859-1.
      > |

      > I've never heard of this. How do you do it?
      >
      > Lee

      I mis-stated. LOCALE is the proper term.

      By default, Linux uses the ISO 9959-1.

      However, individual applications, such as your web browser or email client may be configured to use another locale. If your default locale is ISO 9959-1, then you may want to check the locale of the other applications you use. Maybe it is an Ubuntu thing, I have not run into this with Slaskware.

      I found this link for Ubuntu users (Long line, wrapped):

      <http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#How_to_add_locales_to_Ubuntu_the_command_line_way>

      You can use the following command to check your current locale (Ubuntu):

      cat /etc/default/locale

      Other distributions will have different ways to control this. For this, and configuring the locale of a specific application, Google is your friend. ;-)

      The only applications I use where the codepage (DOS/Windows terminology)/locale matters is genealogy applications. This is usually not an issue when I am working with Windows, except with one genealogy program, the CLI program, LifeLines. LifeLines is available at SourceForge. For LifeLines, it takes a little extra tweaking to get Unicode or other languages working (both Windows & *Nix). Something I have not yet succeeded in changing, so I could test my feeble attempt at an updated Spanish PO file. I like LifeLines as I can run the same database using either the Windows or *Nix program (Only when similar processors, i.e. 32 bit.), and it works great from a USB thumb drive.

      HTH,

      Larry
    • MarkH
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 23, 2008
        Dear All,

        Thanks for responses. I delayed asking for weeks, thinking it would be
        such an elementary thing, that NoteTab would surely handle it.

        For emails I prefer text only too. I didn't realize I wasn't text only.

        Nevertheless, I'm completely sold on Linux. If and when NoteTab handles
        Unicode, it will be a major step forward. Meantime I think I could
        use a clip.

        Kind regards, and happy Christmas,
        MarkH

      • tr6vb6z02@sneakemail.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 23, 2008
          >NoteTab does not convert Unicode to ASCII. You can build a clip to do
          >it if you want. Lee indicated that he has a clip to remove these codes.

          A VERY simple and limited version that I use:

          ^!Replace "\u201d" >> """ WASI
          ^!Replace "\u201c" >> """ WASI
          ^!Replace "\u2026" >> "..." WASI
          ^!Replace "\u2019" >> "'" WASI
          ^!Replace "\u2014" >> "--" WASI
          ^!Replace "\u2013" >> "-" WASI
          ^!Replace "\u2018" >> "'" WASI

          You can, of course, expand it indefinitely.

          Donald
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 24, 2008
            On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 20:47:45 -0600 tr6vb6z02@... wrote:

            | A VERY simple and limited version that I use:
            |
            | ^!Replace "\u201d" >> """ WASI
            | ^!Replace "\u201c" >> """ WASI
            | ^!Replace "\u2026" >> "..." WASI
            | ^!Replace "\u2019" >> "'" WASI
            | ^!Replace "\u2014" >> "--" WASI
            | ^!Replace "\u2013" >> "-" WASI
            | ^!Replace "\u2018" >> "'" WASI

            Yes, that what I use.

            I tried changing the locale but the problem still exists in NoteTabPro. Oh well, running the clip is not big deal.
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 24, 2008
              > I tried changing the locale but the problem still exists in
              NoteTabPro. Oh well, running the clip is not big deal.

              NoteTab cannot handle Unicode. Until it can, the clip is the only way
              to handle Unicode in NoteTab.

              Changing the Locale should disable Unicode in other programs from
              which text is copied to NoteTab.