Wine FAQ Information on Launching Files in Linux Apps

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2008
      The Wine FAQ, http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ, has a lot of helpful
      information.

      I am including verbatim some information that those who do a lot with
      NoteTab clips may find helpful.

      The first item mentions the winepath helper program to convert paths
      from Unix to Windows format. Winepath is here:
      http://wiki.winehq.org/winepath

      I also ran across this winelaunch script to launch Windows files in
      Linux programs.
      http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-users/2008-January/028728.html

      2.3. I want my Windows application to be able to launch a Linux
      application to open documents

      You can start Linux applications directly from Wine only if you
      specify full path or use shell:

      /usr/bin/glxgears
      # or
      /bin/sh -c glxgears

      You will also need winepath to translate the filename from Windows
      format to Linux format.

      2.4. I want to associate some Linux program with a file type in Wine

      For this you will need a simple script to call Linux application. Save
      it as "run_linx_program" under $HOME/bin. Don't forget to run 'chmod
      a+x $HOME/bin/run_linx_program' to make it executable.

      #!/bin/sh
      $1 "`wine winepath -u "$2"`"

      Second to associate say .pdf files with acroread Linux program save
      this as "$HOME/pdf.reg" and then import it with 'regedit ~/pdf.reg'
      command

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pdf]
      @="PDFfile"
      "Content Type"="application/pdf"
      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PDFfile\Shell\Open\command]
      @="/bin/sh run_linx_program acroread \"%1\""

      You can reuse this script and just edit the registry file. For example
      to associate .doc documents with OpenOffice (ooffice):

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc]
      @="DOCfile"
      "Content Type"="application/msword"
      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DOCfile\Shell\Open\command]
      @="/bin/sh run_linx_program ooffice \"%1\""