Bugs/Testing

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2008
      I have been thinking how to have a more systematic way of testing and checking for bugs.

      In addition to individual clips & clip code, there are all the menus, key combinations, etc. Not a small task.

      These would not be NoteTab bugs, but bugs in the way it works in Wine.

      There is the boring but easy part of clicking on every menu item and making sure it does what is expected. At the very least this would need to happen in Light and Pro. Also the key combinations that activate those menus. Changing some of the options changes how a few things behave, so there will need more care there.

      Then there are outlines, templates, and clips.

      I know that I have hit the high points just using NoteTab on Linux this many years, but I do not put it through all the clips and things I use all day at work in Windows. I did try a lot of things and to compose a list on my website, but I have not updated it in a couple of years.

      If anyone has some more complex things they do with settings or clips and find a problem, please be sure to add it to the AppDB. I would recommend sharing with this list first, so we can see if we can all duplicate it, and to make sure it is really a bug. I just found something the other day that I though was a bug, but it works the same way on Windows.

      If anyone has ideas on how to code a clip or series of clips to help automate testing, that would be great.

      If someone wants to volunteer to check out a menu or other feature in both Light & Pro, let me know, and I will put up a list of who wants to do what in the files area to avoid duplication of effort.

      If you find anything or have found anything, be sure to share it. I get the impression that now that I have taken the plunge to be the super maintainer for Light & Pro in the AppDB, that we should start seeing the benefit sooner. The more activity we have, with quality information, the better.

      As always, thanks for sharing your issues & insights with NoteTab on Wine!