Re: [ntb-linux] Re: Wine 1.1.4 Released September 5, 2008

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 8 10:34 AM
      Larry Hamilton (lm_hamilton@...) wrote (in part)  (on 2008-09-08
      at 00:42):
      > Because I was able to minimize it
      once, I assumed that Slackware did
      > not have the problem.
      >
      > So it must be a Wine issue. I can see why I did not notice it on
      > Slackware, since it will minimize once.
      >
      > "'Curiuser and curiuser', said Alice."

      I don't use Linux at all but do know that Notetab and other apps programmed in Delphi use some kind of hidden window.
      Usually Delphi apps can be recognized because in Windows a right click on a taskbar button shows only Restore, Minimize and Close options. They are missing the "normal" "Move, Size and Maximize options.

      It might be worth checking behavior of any other Delphi programs you have to see whether they exhibit the same pattern of regression as Notetab. If so, it might help the Wine developers though I assume they are probably already knowledgeable about this behavior.
      --
      Regards ... Alec   (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 8 5:15 PM
        Alec,

        Yes, this is what Eric told us when this issue appeared in a pre 1.0.0 release.

        I get it on both KDE and XFCE on Slackware and Gnome on Ubuntu. So it must be a Wine issue.

        Larry Hamilton

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 13 2:42 PM
          --- On Mon, 9/8/08, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:
          I don't use Linux at all but do know that Notetab and other apps
          programmed in Delphi use some kind of hidden window.

          If you don't use Linux, what are you doing on a Linux list (even if you do use NoteTab)?? Pretty strange . . .
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 13 4:11 PM
            sisterscape (sisterscape@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-13 at
            17:42):
            > --- On Mon, 9/8/08, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:
            > I don't use Linux at all but do know that Notetab and other apps
            > programmed in Delphi use some kind of hidden window.
            >
            > If you don't use Linux, what are you doing on a Linux list (even if
            > you do use NoteTab)?? Pretty strange . . .

            I'm on all the Notetab lists (even the accessibility list which hasn't
            had any traffic since it was created - except the auto reminder every
            month Jody set up)

            One of these fine days I'm going to make a serious attempt to get VM
            working and run both Windows and Linux. In the meantime you never know
            where you are going to pick up interesting info :-)

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 14 8:42 AM
              Fair 'nuff. You might want to check out Virtual Box or Wubi installer to get you going with Linux. It took a while for me to get over the hump but once I did, I never looked back. Haven't had my XP machine on since last spring! Loving Linux for Linux and really loving being M$-free!!!