Win2K

  • Donguitar
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 23, 2007
      I did a search on my Win2K system and was only able to find two of those
      DLLs

      riched20.dll

      riched32.dll

      NoteTab Light 4.95 and NoteTab Std 5.3/fv both work well on this system. Is
      there another DLL used in Win2K or are these the only ones required? Is it
      possible that I can get NoteTab to work on my Debian system using these DLLs
      or should I get out my old Win98SE CD and go looking for the previously
      mentioned DLLs? If necessary I can swap out the hard drive on one of my
      Linux systems and install Win98SE on it for long enough to locate and
      extract the DLLs.

      Sister has been griping about this for weeks and my first unsuccessful
      attempt to get NoteTab running in Wine was over a year ago on a new-spiffy
      PCLinuxOS system. I'm flabbergasted to find the problem essentially solved
      two days after I learned that this group existed (when sister mentioned it
      on another list). Wow sister, I'm going to rename you "Sister Tenacious"
      because you really hang in there and keep searching until you find an
      answer.

      I'm normally that way myself but I really didn't believe there would be an
      easy answer to this one so I'd pretty much given up on it. I'm glad I had
      enough optimism left to join this group.

      Too cool!

      Don Crowder
      http://www.don-guitar.com
      http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/eldergeek/
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 23, 2007
        Don . . .

        Check your email for a little surprise.

        Larry only set up this list on Friday! It is truly amazing that he
        came up with the fix so quickly.

        Now on to Photoshop. It installed but won't load!

        The install had these kinds of errors:

        Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
        err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo couldn't initialize OpenGL,
        expect problems
        fixme:font:load_VDMX No suitable ratio found

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 23, 2007
          --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Donguitar" <donguitar@...> wrote:

          > I did a search on my Win2K system and was only able to find two of
          > those DLLs
          >
          > riched20.dll
          > riched32.dll

          Don,

          Both Win2k and WinXP only have these two dlls.

          I tried using the WinXP dlls and it did not work.

          I just got the Win2K dlls onto my Linux system.

          Setting NoteTab Light to be in a Win2K environment,
          and setting these two dlls to be native, then builtin,
          made NoteTab Light work. I did not test everything, but
          drag & drop, Search & Replace, and find worked, so the
          rest should too.

          Wine is better at mimicking Win98 and Win2K than XP or newer.
          So it makes sense that this combination worked. Re-testing may work
          with the XP dlls. I'll have to try that later.

          Using this configuration, I did not get any errors in my
          bash window. It is recommended by WineHQ to run apps from the
          command line to see what errors are generated. With Win98, I get
          a few errors.

          I just started this list late Friday night. Sisterscape has been a
          long-time user of NoteTab and has posted to the NoteTab lists for
          years. I've used NoteTab for over 9.5 years, and been a beta tester
          almost as long. I guess I did something right, since I got my name
          in the acknowledgments of the help file. ;-) I'm a big fan of NoteTab,
          and promote it all I can. It saves me tons of time at work and play on
          the computer.

          I like to help people and solve puzzles. I use Pro, and it does not
          need this workaround, so I did not dig into this until now. I kept
          thinking about this problem and could not let it go until I had a
          working solution.

          I'll be preparing a FAQ of our successes and failures, etc. and place
          in the files section of the group.

          If you run into any issues, please let us know, with specifics.

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 23, 2007
            On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:59:07 -0700 (PDT) sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

            | Now on to Photoshop. It installed but won't load!
            |
            | The install had these kinds of errors:
            |
            | Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
            | err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo couldn't initialize OpenGL,
            | expect problems
            | fixme:font:load_VDMX No suitable ratio found
            | fixme:font:load_VDMX No suitable ratio found
            | Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
            | err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo couldn't initialize OpenGL,
            | expect problems
            | fixme:font:load_VDMX No suitable ratio found
            | fixme:font:load_VDMX No suitable ratio found
            | fixme:font:load_VDMX No suitable ratio found

            You might be interested in this: http://www.gimpshop.com/

            According to the Web site, "GIMPshop is a modification of the free/open source GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP), intended to replicate the feel of Adobe Photoshop. Its primary purpose is to make users of Photoshop feel comfortable using GIMP.

            It shares all GIMP's advantages, including the long feature list and customisability, while addressing some common criticisms regarding the program's interface: GIMPshop modifies the menu structure to closely match Photoshop's, adjusts the program's terminology to match Adobe's, and, in the Windows version, uses a plugin called 'Deweirdifier' to combine the application's numerous windows in a similar manner to the MDI system used by most Windows graphics packages. While GIMPshop does not support Photoshop plugins, all GIMP's own plugins, filters, brushes, etc. remain available.

            Due to the changes to the interface, many Photoshop tutorials can be followed in GIMPshop unchanged, and most others can be adapted for GIMPshop users with minimal effort."

            BTW, where are you reading the errors from? I'm launching program in Wine using menu shortcuts.

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 23, 2007

              > Don . . .
              >
              > Check your email for a little surprise.
              >
              > Larry only set up this list on Friday! It is truly amazing that he
              > came up with the fix so quickly.
              >
              > Now on to Photoshop. It installed but won't load!

              Sisterscape,

              WineHQ.org has the AppDB (Application Database) that lists what
              applications work in Wine, and what steps are required, if any, to get
              a Windows app to install/run. From my experience, almost all Windows
              apps will install without problems.

              To find a Windows program in the AppDB, go to WineHQ.org, click the
              AppDB Link in the top left of the page, then enter the program name in
              the search box.

              Here is the page for Photoshop:

              http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=17

              One version of Photoshop is gold, meaning it installs and runs and all
              critical features work. Another version is labeled garbage. At least,
              from this page, you can see what others have done.

              There are other sites that have tips on getting some programs to work
              in Wine. One that is linked to from the AppsDB page is
              http://frankscorner.org/. He does have information on a couple of
              versions of Photoshop.

              Since Photoshop is not a Fookes product, it is off topic for this
              list. (Also, I do not have Photoshop, so can offer no further
              assistance.) I will add an entry to the future FAQ on how to find
              programs in the WineHQ AppDB.

              HTH,

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 23, 2007
                <snip>
                > BTW, where are you reading the errors from? I'm launching program in
                > Wine using menu shortcuts.

                WineHQ.org recommends that programs be launched from the command
                prompt so that error messages are displayed.

                For example, in my testing of NoteTab Light, is used this command:

                wine ~/.wine/drive_c/NoteTabLight/NoteTab.exe

                (The tilde, ~, is short hand for the currently signed in user's home
                directory, so in my case it is shorthand for /home/larry.)

                You can also use a Windows style command:

                wine "C:\NoteTabLight\NoteTab.exe"

                Or using double backslashes if no quotes. Quotes are required if a
                space in a directory or filename.

                wine C:\\NoteTabLight\\NoteTab.exe

                This launches NoteTab and keeps the command prompt active. You can
                then see the errors, if any. This is how we knew the culprit was that
                the richedit dlls are not implemented in Wine.

                Are you still having issues with the top and bottom of the edit
                window? I have not had this at the top, only at the bottom. I am using
                NoteTab Pro on Wine 0.9.44 in Slackware Linux 12.0. What is your
                configuration? The latest Wine is 0.9.45.

                I usually run my NoteTab Pro from a shortcut too. I just typed in the
                command line and no errors appeared. It may require running the wine
                debugger to get any error output. I have never done that, so will have
                to figure it out. I suspect this is a quirk of a nature requiring a
                WineHQ developer to address.

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 23, 2007
                  --- Lee Underwood <leeu@...> wrote:

                  > On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:59:07 -0700 (PDT) sisterscape
                  > <sisterscape@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > You might be interested in this: http://www.gimpshop.com/

                  I'll check that out tomorrow. I'm been warming up to Gimp a little bit
                  but just so used to PS.

                  > BTW, where are you reading the errors from?

                  From command line install. I got similar errors on the NTB install but
                  it seems to be working fine. Photoshop on the other hand is freezing
                  going from the splash screen to the GUI. Here's the bash stuff:

                  ~$ wine /media/cdrom0/Photoshop/Setup.exe
                  sister@ubuntu:~$ Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
                  err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo couldn't initialize OpenGL,
                  expect problems
                  fixme:shell:DllCanUnloadNow stub

                  http://sims.yahoo.com/
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 23, 2007

                    > Sisterscape,
                    >
                    > Here is the page for Photoshop:
                    >
                    > http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=17

                    I read that page thoroughly before installing (Photoshop 7 BTW). Then I
                    used this guide for my install:

                    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2155814&postcount=4

                    > Since Photoshop is not a Fookes product, it is off topic for this
                    > list.

                    Understood. Could you please move it over to the OT list as you see
                    fit? Thanks.

                    http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 24, 2007
                      Please bear with me Larry . . .

                      > --- Lee Underwood <leeu@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > You might be interested in this: http://www.gimpshop.com/

                      GimpShop has the Mac look (bright blue scrollbars) that I really,
                      really don't like. Their website isn't very good either so it doesn't
                      inspire confidence.

                      In the meantime, there has been a resolution on the Photoshop front . .
                      .

                      I re-enabled my nVidia driver and that fixed the GLX stuff. I had
                      turned it off because it screwed up the hibernation process. I found a
                      fix for that which involved editing a line in the
                      /etc/default/acpi-support file and adding a line under nVidia device in
                      xorg.conf

                      But Photoshop still wouldn't load! It was freezing at the splash
                      screen!!

                      After spending all afternoon looking, I finally found the fix for this
                      bug too.

                      Just keep hitting enter and it will eventually load. Turning off
                      "Let your window manager control your windows" in winecfg Graphics also
                      helps a bit. I hope that they get it fixed soon.

                      The last winecfg change runs counter to the settings that Larry advised
                      for NoteTab so this off topic post is tenuously related to NoteTab and
                      Wine after all!!

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 24, 2007

                        > Please bear with me Larry . . .
                        <snip>
                        > The last winecfg change runs counter to the settings
                        > that Larry advised
                        > for NoteTab so this off topic post is tenuously
                        > related to NoteTab and
                        > Wine after all!!

                        Sisterscape,

                        I think I can let this slide.

                        I did not want to make this an all-purpose Wine
                        support list.

                        I guess, if we can keep it focused, and come up with
                        something that helps out one of us in need, and it is
                        not a product in direct competition with a Fookes
                        product, it should be OK. I own the list, but don't
                        want to be an iron-handed dictator. That never ends
                        well.

                        I don't get paid by Eric, I just want to help get the
                        word out about great products that really help me out.
                        The more business that goes Eric's way, the more he
                        can work on the programs I use, especially NoteTab.
                        ;-)

                        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658