Re: [ntb-linux] Wine 1.1.4 Released September 5, 2008

    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 6, 2008
      Checked last night. Still only wine-1.0 available on Ubuntu via Synaptic. It's several releases behind. Sister

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 6, 2008
        Yes, but I went to this page to add the WineHQ repository to my Ubuntu Synaptic:

        http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

        I am installing now, will let you know what I find.

        Larry Hamilton

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 6, 2008
          I got Wine 1.1.4 and downloaded and installed Light, Std Trial, and Pro Trial.

          All installed just fine. In all of them I was able to copy & past text with no issues. the Light and Std versions do not appear to have any issue with the cursor at the top & bottom of the edit window, i.i. when adding lines via ENTER.

          Pro still has the issue with lines being added at the bottom of OTL and TXT files and the sursor not appearing to move. I found that it does work on temp files that have not been saved yet.

          Still have the issue where you have to click and drag off a library on the library bar to change libraries.

          It is good to see that te trial versions all work, for those that want to try on Linux before they buy.

          Larry Hamilton

        • tr6vb6z02@sneakemail.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 6, 2008
            Using Ubuntu Hardy Heron, just updated to Wine 1.1.4 from the
            repositories. I have compiz fusion turned off.
            I've run into two odd problems.

            1: I can't minimize notetab. When I click the minimize button, I see
            the shrinking window outlines indicating a minimize, but as soon as they
            hit the task bar, the window bounces back to full size instantly.

            2: if I unmaximize notetab and resize the window, it will leave behind a
            duplicate of the bar at the top of the window. This duplicate is
            labeled "NoteTab Pro" just like the actual NoteTab window. it has no
            minimize or maximize button, but it does have a close button. It
            appears to have a few pixle high resized notetab window beneath it, but
            it can not be resized. When you click on the REAL notetab window, both
            it and the duplicate bar pop to the front, but only the real notetab
            window shows as selected. When you click on the duplicate, it does NOT
            bring the real notetab window to the front. The duplicate can be moved
            around the screen independently of the real notetab window. And
            clicking X on either window closes both. The duplicate does NOT have a
            matching button on the start bar. Click the button on the start bar
            brings the real notetab and the duplicate window to the front, but
            selects only the real notetab window.

            One further note, this duplicate ONLY appears if you first attempt to
            minimize the notetab window, and THEN unmaximize it and resize it.

            Here is a link to a screenprint of this odd phenomenon:
            http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=r0tgmpekcxo&thumb=5
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 6, 2008
              Thanks for the detailed description and screenshot.

              I do not think I tried minimizing any of Light, Std, or Pro.

              My Ubuntu box is shut down. I'm getting ready to call it a night, but
              can look into this tomorrow.

              Can you email me you notetab ini file to my personal email address?
              Please zip it so email does not add odd characters/line breaks.

              Thanks!

              Larry Hamilton

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 7, 2008
                There have been problems before with minimize/maximize. I'd roll back to the last working version and report the regression to Wine so they can fix it in the next version.

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 7, 2008
                  I got the sympton on all versions of NoteTab on Ubuntu 8.04 without resorting to donald's ini file.

                  What I notices is that when I clicked the minimize button, NoteTab kept creeping up the screen. On Pro, it hid the extra title bar with a cancel button. If I maximized and exited, when I restarted NoteTab, it did not start out maximized.

                  This is not really an issue for me, as i either ALT+TAB between programs, of use the multiple workspaces to group my current tasks. However, I can see where this can be a problem.

                  I do not see a way around it until the issue is resolved with a future update of Wine. If minimizing is critical for you, then as Sisterscape suggests, you will want to go back to Wine 1.0.

                  I will have to test this on Slackware and Debian. Since I do not often minimize apps, I have not run into this before.

                  I will add this to the NoteTab WineHQ pages once I have had a chance to try them on Debian & Slackware.

                  Larry Hamilton

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 7, 2008
                    Larry Hamilton wrote:
                    >This is not really an issue for me, as i either ALT+TAB between
                    programs,
                    >of use the multiple workspaces to group my current tasks.

                    It's not going to hamper my use of Notetab most of the time either. I
                    don't minimize very often and it's easy to switch to another desktop.
                    It's just very ODD behavior.

                    thanks for the help!

                    Donald
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 7, 2008
                      Glad to help.

                      I finally got back to my Slackware box. Gnome is not available out of
                      the box for Slackware, and I do not have the time to jump the hoops to
                      get it.

                      I run XFCE most of the time, and occasionally KDE.

                      Long story short, I do not have a problem with minimizing on Slackware
                      with XFCE.

                      Debian only has Wine 1.1.1. Using KDE I do not have a problem
                      minimizing there. I'll have to see if I can locate a package for
                      1.1.4. That or wait for the new Debian later this month.

                      I will have to try changing Window Managers on all these boxes. It
                      could be just a Gnome thing, or just an Ubuntu thing.

                      This is not the first time this has been an issue with different
                      Distributions or Window Managers.

                      It could be more a Gnome issue. Slackware quit including Gnome, since
                      Gnome does some weird things that are "non-standard" for other
                      programs in Linux. I do not know all the technical details, but it
                      makes Gnome more the culprit based on that. Not proof, but something
                      to keep in mind.

                      If anyone has Ubuntu and wants to try changing their Window Manager,
                      the xwmconfig utility should be accessible from the command line.
                      Ubuntu may have a GUI on the menu to do this. Try both KDE and XFCE,
                      if you can.

                      I am not going to be able to get back to my Ubuntu box tonight. It may
                      be Wednesday before I can get to it with all the chaos of kids back in
                      school and full tilt. ;-)

                      Too many irons in the fire, but I'm slowly getting rid of some....

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 7, 2008
                        That's what I get for doing this when I'm tired.

                        Just before signing off for the night, I noticed that the extra bar is there, but there is now no Minimize button on Slackware with KDE.

                        Because I was able to minimize it once, I assumed that Slackware did not have the problem.

                        So it must be a Wine issue. I can see why I did not notice it on Slackware, since it will minimize once.

                        "'Curiuser and curiuser', said Alice."

                        Larry Hamilton

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 7, 2008
                          It's baaaack! This regression minimize bug plagued versions after 9.7 (or 9.5 - can't remember) but were fixed in Wine 1.0. I couldn't update maybe three versions because of it.

                          > That's what I get for doing this when I'm tired.
                          >
                          > Just before signing off for the night, I noticed that the
                          > extra bar is there, but there is now no Minimize button on
                          > Slackware with KDE.
                          >
                          > Because I was able to minimize it once, I assumed that
                          > Slackware did not have the problem.
                          >
                          > So it must be a Wine issue. I can see why I did not notice
                          > it on Slackware, since it will minimize once.
                          >
                          > "'Curiuser and curiuser', said Alice."
                          >
                          > Larry Hamilton

                        • Alec Burgess
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 8, 2008
                            Larry Hamilton (lm_hamilton@...) wrote (in part)  (on 2008-09-08
                            at 00:42):
                            > Because I was able to minimize it
                            once, I assumed that Slackware did
                            > not have the problem.
                            >
                            > So it must be a Wine issue. I can see why I did not notice it on
                            > Slackware, since it will minimize once.
                            >
                            > "'Curiuser and curiuser', said Alice."

                            I don't use Linux at all but do know that Notetab and other apps programmed in Delphi use some kind of hidden window.
                            Usually Delphi apps can be recognized because in Windows a right click on a taskbar button shows only Restore, Minimize and Close options. They are missing the "normal" "Move, Size and Maximize options.

                            It might be worth checking behavior of any other Delphi programs you have to see whether they exhibit the same pattern of regression as Notetab. If so, it might help the Wine developers though I assume they are probably already knowledgeable about this behavior.
                            --
                            Regards ... Alec   (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 8, 2008
                              Alec,

                              Yes, this is what Eric told us when this issue appeared in a pre 1.0.0 release.

                              I get it on both KDE and XFCE on Slackware and Gnome on Ubuntu. So it must be a Wine issue.

                              Larry Hamilton

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 13, 2008
                                --- On Mon, 9/8/08, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:
                                I don't use Linux at all but do know that Notetab and other apps
                                programmed in Delphi use some kind of hidden window.

                                If you don't use Linux, what are you doing on a Linux list (even if you do use NoteTab)?? Pretty strange . . .
                              • Alec Burgess
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 13, 2008
                                  sisterscape (sisterscape@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-13 at
                                  17:42):
                                  > --- On Mon, 9/8/08, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:
                                  > I don't use Linux at all but do know that Notetab and other apps
                                  > programmed in Delphi use some kind of hidden window.
                                  >
                                  > If you don't use Linux, what are you doing on a Linux list (even if
                                  > you do use NoteTab)?? Pretty strange . . .

                                  I'm on all the Notetab lists (even the accessibility list which hasn't
                                  had any traffic since it was created - except the auto reminder every
                                  month Jody set up)

                                  One of these fine days I'm going to make a serious attempt to get VM
                                  working and run both Windows and Linux. In the meantime you never know
                                  where you are going to pick up interesting info :-)

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 14, 2008
                                    Fair 'nuff. You might want to check out Virtual Box or Wubi installer to get you going with Linux. It took a while for me to get over the hump but once I did, I never looked back. Haven't had my XP machine on since last spring! Loving Linux for Linux and really loving being M$-free!!!