OT upgr Slack ver. was Wine 1.1.2 on Slackware 12.1

  • Alan C
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 24, 2008
      Glad 112 does well.

      You beat me to it.  Still on 12.0 Slack here.  You inspired me to re look into upgrade from 12 to 12.1

      Do you know if that impacts any of my added 12.0 apps?  I've 7 or 8 or so slackbuilds.org I built and installed.

      On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 8:36 AM, lm_hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:
      Last weekend, I made the time to finally upgrade from Slackware 12.0
      to 12.1. This is the first time I tried a Slackware Upgrade.
      [ . . ]
      With the upgrade option, there was less tweaking for the general
      system than with a clean install.

      The good news is that Slackware lends itself to customization/personalization.

      The bad news is that Slackware lends itself to customization/personalization.

      Yes some config to be accomplished so as to get "my version of what Slackware is" (desktop type use) with a new or clean install.

      Not enough around to its (not yet) or I already would have sufficient of my own Perl scripts so as to handle all the above quickly for me.  then I likely would share the scripts somewhere.

      That's Slackware -- fabricate your own, or do it manually -- your choice.  Or, for many things, someone else already has the tool shared somewhere.  But I've not yet seen anywhere any "config up your new Slack installation" overall application/tool.

      Alan.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 24, 2008
        Alan,

        In addition to the readme and other text files from 12.1's first CD, I found these two links helpful.

        How To Upgrade from 12.0 to 12.1
        http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/howto-upgrade-slackware-12.0-to-12.1-640473/

        After Install 12.1
        http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/after-install-slackware-12.1-655722/

        They do mention that additional software needs to be reinstalled. I am not sure what that might be, as Wine still worked without having to do anything. It did take me back a couple of versions on Firefox 2.x. I had tried 3.x but it did not run, so I thought it a 12.0 thing, which I think it was. That was another reason I wanted to upgrade. I am using 3.x on Windows, and did not like having to pay attention to the differences that slow me down. I guess the biggies are if you have versions that are newer than in 12.1, or something that gets broken because of a change in the version of a dependency. So far, in over a week of daily use, I have not had any surprises.

        I think 12.1 runs faster and boots faster. I still have to get udev working right, but it did not work right for me under 12.0. I suppose a clean install would fix it, but that's too much work. I just need to clear the decks so I can focus on it. I am sure it is something easy, but the constant interruptions of "Dad, can I...." make it to hard to keep it straight. Another reason it took so long to get to 12.1. ;-)

        I need to make the time to try compiling a kernel again. I've made 3 or 4 attempts over the years, but never got it working. I had a couple that would boot, but no internet. It's all a matter of taking the time to make sure you didn't leave anything out. A custome kernal really screams from what I hear.

        I think Slackware tries to strike a balance between "roll your own" and works "out of the box". I believe it is Gentoo that is basically roll your own. I am intrigued by it, but one review I read of how long it took just to get to the point of booting so you could then work on all the config files turned me off. I would not want to do that on my main PC, unless it was a new PC. It is scary enough upgrading to 12.1 or Windows XP SP3, and wondering if your computer will boot. Data may be backed up, but how many hours (days) does it take to get a bare iron install back up to where you want it?

        I suppose if I had a PC that was fast as my new one at work, a clean install would not be as daunting. Processes that used to take many minutes, now take a few seconds. The internet pipe at work is the same speed, but even my browsing and transfer of files on the network is faster. Until I experienced it, I would not think that a faster CPU and tons of RAM would make that much difference. I think of all the late nights fixing client's corrupt payroll databases that would not have been more than a couple hours. Ah well, we've moved all but three clients off that old database, but if one of them should have a problem, I know I won't be sleep deprived the next day. ;-)

        Well, I suppose that enough sin/cos for one email.

        Larry Hamilton