Re: NoteTab Information Clip

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2008

      > Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. :)

      Glad to help!

      > Here's the output of > the clip on my system. It's a custom build.
      > Running as generic or > etc didn't make any difference.

      The hardware variable is set by the user in this clip, it does not
      affect the information gathered by the rest of the clip.

      > There was an error in getting the
      > ram info (it's a dual core) and processor couldn't be identified.
      > Also note that it identifies the Hardy kernel but I'm running it on
      > Gutsy (to solve newer hardware issues):

      I'm not sure why it had a problem getting the RAM. Could you run the
      following in a command prompt and let me know the results?

      The following is the command and is one line:

      cat /proc/meminfo | head -n 1 | awk '/[0-9]/ {print $2}'

      If that gives an error, please run this next command and tell me what
      the first line is, I have "MemTotal: 249468 kB".

      cat /proc/meminfo

      You can also try the command:

      free -m

      The first line will have the free RAM in MB.

      > Hardware: Generic
      > Processor: i686 unknown unknown

      The above result for the processor, is from this command, what results
      do you get?

      uname -pmi

      Please also run this command and let me know the results:

      less /proc/cpuinfo

      For two processors, the first one will be "processor : 0",
      followed by the details on that processor. The next processor will
      start with "processor : 1".

      > RAM:[error in expression]MB
      > Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-16-generic #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 13:23:42
      UTC 2008

      The "SMP" above is an indication of multiple processors.

      > Distribution:Ubuntu

      The above is entered by the user. I have not had time to find a
      command to find this.

      > Window Manager: Gnome

      Currently, this is user entered, but I know I should be able to get
      this from the command line.

      > Type:NTP
      > Name: NoteTab Pro5.61
      > Platform: Win32_NT
      > Version:WinXP

      The above are all from Clip commands and will work on Windows. ;-)

      > Wine: wine-1.0
      >
      > So does that tell you anything?

      I wonder if your problems were due to line breaks or something in the
      commands for those portions.

      Giving me the answer to the commands I suggested will help me figure
      out how to make this clip handle multiple processors more gracefully.

      I made a Windows version of this clip at work today, and interestingly
      enough, I tried it on Linux when I got home, and it worked almost as
      well as it did on Windows. (I also found out that my new laptop at
      work is a dual processor from this clip.)

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2008

        > OK, here is what I got:
        >
        > Hardware: Dell
        > Processor: i686 unknown unknown

        Lee,

        I think I have narrowed it down to handle the processor information
        better. If you want to try the same commands I asked Sisterscape to
        try, I can make sure I cover all the bases.

        On Wine 1.0, I second what Sisterscape suggested. The last few
        interations of Wine were very stable and except for one that caused a
        problem for NoteTab, that was fixed in the next release, I have had a
        very consistent NoteTab experience on Wine.