Re: [ntb-linux] NoteTab Information Clip

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2 9:58 AM
      Wine-1.0 works really well. I am no longer getting gibberish at the end of selections when I copy and paste. YEA! Cursor at the bottom of the page is still funky as well as loading libraries (need to slide cursor off button). In any case, you could always reinstall the previous working version if there is a problem.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3 7:33 PM

        > Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. :)

        Glad to help!

        > Here's the output of > the clip on my system. It's a custom build.
        > Running as generic or > etc didn't make any difference.

        The hardware variable is set by the user in this clip, it does not
        affect the information gathered by the rest of the clip.

        > There was an error in getting the
        > ram info (it's a dual core) and processor couldn't be identified.
        > Also note that it identifies the Hardy kernel but I'm running it on
        > Gutsy (to solve newer hardware issues):

        I'm not sure why it had a problem getting the RAM. Could you run the
        following in a command prompt and let me know the results?

        The following is the command and is one line:

        cat /proc/meminfo | head -n 1 | awk '/[0-9]/ {print $2}'

        If that gives an error, please run this next command and tell me what
        the first line is, I have "MemTotal: 249468 kB".

        cat /proc/meminfo

        You can also try the command:

        free -m

        The first line will have the free RAM in MB.

        > Hardware: Generic
        > Processor: i686 unknown unknown

        The above result for the processor, is from this command, what results
        do you get?

        uname -pmi

        Please also run this command and let me know the results:

        less /proc/cpuinfo

        For two processors, the first one will be "processor : 0",
        followed by the details on that processor. The next processor will
        start with "processor : 1".

        > RAM:[error in expression]MB
        > Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-16-generic #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 13:23:42
        UTC 2008

        The "SMP" above is an indication of multiple processors.

        > Distribution:Ubuntu

        The above is entered by the user. I have not had time to find a
        command to find this.

        > Window Manager: Gnome

        Currently, this is user entered, but I know I should be able to get
        this from the command line.

        > Type:NTP
        > Name: NoteTab Pro5.61
        > Platform: Win32_NT
        > Version:WinXP

        The above are all from Clip commands and will work on Windows. ;-)

        > Wine: wine-1.0
        >
        > So does that tell you anything?

        I wonder if your problems were due to line breaks or something in the
        commands for those portions.

        Giving me the answer to the commands I suggested will help me figure
        out how to make this clip handle multiple processors more gracefully.

        I made a Windows version of this clip at work today, and interestingly
        enough, I tried it on Linux when I got home, and it worked almost as
        well as it did on Windows. (I also found out that my new laptop at
        work is a dual processor from this clip.)

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3 7:37 PM

          > OK, here is what I got:
          >
          > Hardware: Dell
          > Processor: i686 unknown unknown

          Lee,

          I think I have narrowed it down to handle the processor information
          better. If you want to try the same commands I asked Sisterscape to
          try, I can make sure I cover all the bases.

          On Wine 1.0, I second what Sisterscape suggested. The last few
          interations of Wine were very stable and except for one that caused a
          problem for NoteTab, that was fixed in the next release, I have had a
          very consistent NoteTab experience on Wine.