NoteTab Information Clip

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2008
      I did not get as far as I would have liked, but I solved the mystery
      of getting the command line information from *nix. I redirected to a
      text file that I then used clip commands & functions to capture the
      information.

      Here is a clip I started back when I started this group, for us to get
      information about our PC's hardware, OS, version of NoteTab, and
      version of Wine.

      I think this should help us figure out where issues are caused by
      various differences in our systems.

      I will include my clip below, along with the results for my main system.

      Each line begins with either a ; or ^!, to help you deal with
      wrapping. I commented out the debug, but left it just in case. If you
      have a problem, uncomment the debug statement and see if that helps
      narrow the problem.

      I ran into an issue with the Linux side processing faster than
      NoteTab, so I had to put in several delays. My PC is about 7 years
      old, so newer PCs may need more or less of a delay.

      Each of the Linux commands should work on any version of Linux, but if
      it has a problem on your distribution, I will need your help in
      finding a workaround.

      I also set the Clip Wizard at the beginning to default to my PCs
      settings. If you want to change it to your default settings, move the
      underscore ( _ ) to the left of the current default option, to the
      desired default option. All the other information, the clip should be
      able to gather, including type and version of NoteTab.

      I also used the clip functions to get the version of Windows that Wine
      is currently set to mimic, as detected by NoteTab. This should also be
      a lot of help.

      If there are other distributions, or window managers to add, please
      let me know. I only used the ones that seemed to be the most used on
      this list from memory.

      I am sure there are other Linux commands we could add, but I think the
      following will be of the most benefit.

      I look forward to comments & suggestions.

      <--Clip Follows-->
      H="Get Wine & *nix Info"
      ;Version 1.0
      ;07/01/2008 Larry Hamilton
      ;ntb-linux Group
      ;^!SetDebug ON
      ^!Set %hardware%=^?[Hardware (specify Brand)=Dell|HP|_eMachines
      T1100|Generic|etc.];%dist%=^?[Distribution (Specify Version=Ubuntu|Red
      Hat|Debian|_Slackware 12.0|Other (specify)];%winmgr%=^?[Window Manager
      (Specify Version)=Gnome|KDE|_XFCE 4.4.1|Other(specify)]

      ^!Shell "z:\usr\bin\xterm -e" "cat /proc/meminfo | head -n 1 | awk
      '/[0-9]/ {print $2}' >info.txt"
      ^!Delay 20
      ^!Set %mem%=^$GetFileText("info.txt")$
      ^!Set %mem2%=^$StrSplit("^%mem%";100;True)$
      ^!Set %RAM%=^$calc("^%mem2% DIV 1024")$MB
      ^!Shell "z:\usr\bin\xterm -e" "uname -srv >info.txt"
      ^!Delay 20
      ^!Set %OS%=^$GetFileText("info.txt")$
      ^!Set %OS2%=^$StrSplit("^%OS%";100;True)$
      ^!Delay 25
      ^!Shell "z:\usr\bin\xterm -e" "wine --version >info.txt"
      ^!Delay 25
      ^!Set %wine%=^$GetFileText("info.txt")$
      ^!Shell "z:\usr\bin\xterm -e" "uname -pmi >info.txt"
      ^!Delay 20
      ^!Set %CPU%=^$GetFileText("info.txt")$
      ^!Set %CPU2%=^$StrSplit("^%CPU%";100;True)$

      ^!Info Hardware: ^%hardware%^%NL%Processor: ^%CPU2%^%NL%RAM:
      ^%RAM%^%NL%Operating System: ^%OS2%^%NL%Distribution:
      ^%dist%^%NL%Window Manager: ^%winmgr%^%NL%Type:
      ^$GetEditorType$^%NL%Name: ^$GetProgName$
      ^$GetProgVersion$^%NL%Platform: ^$GetWinPlatform$^%NL%Version:
      ^$GetWinVersion$^%NL%Wine: ^%wine%

      <--Clip Above-->

      Below are my results copied from the Information Window:

      Hardware: eMachines T1100
      Processor: i686 Celeron (Coppermine) GenuineIntel
      RAM: 243MB
      Operating System: Linux 2.6.21.5-smp #2 SMP Tue Jun 19 14:58:11 CDT 2007
      Window Manager: XFCE 4.4.1
      Type: NTP
      Name: NoteTab Pro 5.7
      Platform: Win32_NT
      Version: Win2000
      Wine: wine-1.0

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
        Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. :) Here's the output of the clip on my system. It's a custom build. Running as generic or etc didn't make any difference. There was an error in getting the ram info (it's a dual core) and processor couldn't be identified. Also note that it identifies the Hardy kernel but I'm running it on Gutsy (to solve newer hardware issues):

        Hardware: Generic
        Processor: i686 unknown unknown
        RAM:[error in expression]MB
        Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-16-generic #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 13:23:42 UTC 2008
        Distribution:Ubuntu
        Window Manager: Gnome
        Type:NTP
        Name: NoteTab Pro5.61
        Platform: Win32_NT
        Version:WinXP
        Wine: wine-1.0

        So does that tell you anything?

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
          OK, here is what I got:

          Hardware: Dell
          Processor: i686 unknown unknown
          RAM: 2025MB
          Operating System: Linux 2.6.22-15-generic #1 SMP Tue Jun 10 09:21:34 UTC 2008
          Window Manager: Gnome
          Type: NTP
          Name: NoteTab Pro 5.6
          Platform: Win32_NT
          Version: WinXP
          Wine: wine-0.9.46

          I'm running a dual processor so that's probably why the unknown. I'm running Ubuntu Gutsy also. I haven't updated Wine for awhile, I guess I'm "gun-shy".

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
            Wine-1.0 works really well. I am no longer getting gibberish at the end of selections when I copy and paste. YEA! Cursor at the bottom of the page is still funky as well as loading libraries (need to slide cursor off button). In any case, you could always reinstall the previous working version if there is a problem.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3, 2008

              > Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. :)

              Glad to help!

              > Here's the output of > the clip on my system. It's a custom build.
              > Running as generic or > etc didn't make any difference.

              The hardware variable is set by the user in this clip, it does not
              affect the information gathered by the rest of the clip.

              > There was an error in getting the
              > ram info (it's a dual core) and processor couldn't be identified.
              > Also note that it identifies the Hardy kernel but I'm running it on
              > Gutsy (to solve newer hardware issues):

              I'm not sure why it had a problem getting the RAM. Could you run the
              following in a command prompt and let me know the results?

              The following is the command and is one line:

              cat /proc/meminfo | head -n 1 | awk '/[0-9]/ {print $2}'

              If that gives an error, please run this next command and tell me what
              the first line is, I have "MemTotal: 249468 kB".

              cat /proc/meminfo

              You can also try the command:

              free -m

              The first line will have the free RAM in MB.

              > Hardware: Generic
              > Processor: i686 unknown unknown

              The above result for the processor, is from this command, what results
              do you get?

              uname -pmi

              Please also run this command and let me know the results:

              less /proc/cpuinfo

              For two processors, the first one will be "processor : 0",
              followed by the details on that processor. The next processor will
              start with "processor : 1".

              > RAM:[error in expression]MB
              > Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-16-generic #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 13:23:42
              UTC 2008

              The "SMP" above is an indication of multiple processors.

              > Distribution:Ubuntu

              The above is entered by the user. I have not had time to find a
              command to find this.

              > Window Manager: Gnome

              Currently, this is user entered, but I know I should be able to get
              this from the command line.

              > Type:NTP
              > Name: NoteTab Pro5.61
              > Platform: Win32_NT
              > Version:WinXP

              The above are all from Clip commands and will work on Windows. ;-)

              > Wine: wine-1.0
              >
              > So does that tell you anything?

              I wonder if your problems were due to line breaks or something in the
              commands for those portions.

              Giving me the answer to the commands I suggested will help me figure
              out how to make this clip handle multiple processors more gracefully.

              I made a Windows version of this clip at work today, and interestingly
              enough, I tried it on Linux when I got home, and it worked almost as
              well as it did on Windows. (I also found out that my new laptop at
              work is a dual processor from this clip.)

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2008

                > OK, here is what I got:
                >
                > Hardware: Dell
                > Processor: i686 unknown unknown

                Lee,

                I think I have narrowed it down to handle the processor information
                better. If you want to try the same commands I asked Sisterscape to
                try, I can make sure I cover all the bases.

                On Wine 1.0, I second what Sisterscape suggested. The last few
                interations of Wine were very stable and except for one that caused a
                problem for NoteTab, that was fixed in the next release, I have had a
                very consistent NoteTab experience on Wine.