Re: Launching document in Firefox

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008

      > Larry,
      >
      > I got it to work. I replaced this:
      >
      > ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox /home/lee/.wine/drive_c/^%path%"
      >
      > with this:
      >
      > ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox file:///^%path%"
      >
      > Thanks!

      I tried your variation, but it did not work for me. You're using
      Ubuntu, correct?

      What version of Firefox?

      I got to working on my Linux clip library, but it was a late start,
      and I need to be able to function at work. I made some progress on a
      half working clip, but still a few snags. I'll post what I have once I
      get more time to clean it up.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1 11:30 AM
        I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 and FF 2.0.0.14. The original line you had appended a bunch of stuff together:

        file:///home/lee/.wine/drive_c/home/lee/Jupitermedia/Testing/test.htm

        When I made that change, it worked fine.

        I have to say, for over a year, I either had another FF running under Wine or just did a "Open File" in FF to view the file. I had no idea we could get it to work with the Linux system. This is great!

        Lee

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1 11:48 AM
          Same thing happening here. Also running running Firefox v2.0.0.14, on Ubuntu 7.10:

          file:///home/sister/.wine/drive_c/home/sister/Documents/sites/cosmic/big_bang.html

          I used the 'fix' you posted, Lee:

          ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox file:///^%path%"

          And it is now working. Had to turn off the debug option though as a nag dialogue was popping up.

          Now I need to find a way to make it more user friendly. I tried Larry's suggestion of dragging it to the clipbar but that didn't work.

          Will report later if this works with FF3 in Hardy 8.04.

          Thanks for your help guys. :)

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 1 4:31 PM
            > I have to say, for over a year, I either had another FF running
            under Wine or just did a "Open File" in FF to view the file. I had no
            idea we could get it to work with the Linux system. This is great!

            Yes, NoteTab can interact with many other programs. For example, the
            option to open the active document in another program via the Tool
            menu or CTRL+T. It is not working for some reason with Mousepad, the
            basic text editor used by the XFCE window manager. I thought it was
            working before, but while it opens the program, the text is not there.

            NoteTab's clip commands related to scripting also work for Bash/cli
            commands, however, I have not been able to capture the output of a
            bash command yet. It may not be possible to capture the output of a
            Linux command line directly via a clip command, so it may have to be
            piped to a file. I just got the syntax right last night to get it to
            display a command in a terminal.

            I'll try to wrap up my Linux clips/libraries later tonight. I had to
            bring some work home to help get something out to a client on time, so
            if that doesn't take too long....

            I'll see if I can figure out why I cannot get your version of the
            Firefox launch path to work. It would be good to have a single and
            simpler version.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 1 4:35 PM
              > Now I need to find a way to make it more user friendly. I tried
              Larry's suggestion of dragging it to the clipbar but that didn't work.

              Sisterscape -

              Did you drag the clip name to the ClipBar or the Tool Bar?

              I just tried dragging a clip to the ClipBar and it worked.

              NoteTab does not let us add clips to the Tool Bar, only the
              functionality built into it for users to add and remove.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 1 4:56 PM
                The name in the clipbar pane won't grab at all - no grabby icon - and the cursor just moves up the list of clips when I try to move the mouse towards the clipbar.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 1 6:10 PM
                  > The name in the clipbar pane won't grab at all - no
                  > grabby icon - and the cursor just moves up the list of
                  > clips when I try to move the mouse towards the clipbar.

                  That's odd. Do clipbars work otherwise?

                  Must be one of those Ubuntu things.

                  Lee- Can you add a button to a clipbar?

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 1 6:20 PM
                    Yep, worked just fine for me. I had the clip library open, and then just grabbed the clip and dragged it to the clipbar and it worked just fine.

                    Lee

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 1 7:27 PM
                      Honestly, I've never used the clipbar. I've always worked from the menus in the left pane. If I could combine clips from HTML and CSS etc into ONE bar I might use it. I'd get rid of all those deprecated attributes like <b> for starts. Is there a way to merge/edit them?

                      If Lee can do drag the clip I don' know why I can't. Bummer . . .

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 1 9:36 PM

                        > Honestly, I've never used the clipbar. I've always worked from the
                        menus in the left pane. If I could combine clips from HTML and CSS
                        etc into ONE bar I might use it. I'd get rid of all those deprecated
                        attributes like <b> for starts. Is there a way to merge/edit them?

                        There are a few clipbars that come with NoteTab. There are some with
                        the HTML and CSS functionality. The clip bar is just a bar for icons
                        pointing to clips. You can edit clips as you see fit, but if you edit
                        the clips that come with NoteTab, they are overwritten when you
                        re-install.

                        The clipbar is only available in Standard and Pro, not Light.

                        HTH,