Re: [ntb-linux] Re: Launching document in Firefox

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008
      OK. I understand better now. Duh . . .

      I also checked in Hardy with Wine 1.0 and it's the same problem as in Gutsy.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008
        Larry,

        I got it to work. I replaced this:

        ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox /home/lee/.wine/drive_c/^%path%"

        with this:

        ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox file:///^%path%"

        Thanks!

        Lee

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008

          > Larry,
          >
          > I got it to work. I replaced this:
          >
          > ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox /home/lee/.wine/drive_c/^%path%"
          >
          > with this:
          >
          > ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox file:///^%path%"
          >
          > Thanks!

          I tried your variation, but it did not work for me. You're using
          Ubuntu, correct?

          What version of Firefox?

          I got to working on my Linux clip library, but it was a late start,
          and I need to be able to function at work. I made some progress on a
          half working clip, but still a few snags. I'll post what I have once I
          get more time to clean it up.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
            I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 and FF 2.0.0.14. The original line you had appended a bunch of stuff together:

            file:///home/lee/.wine/drive_c/home/lee/Jupitermedia/Testing/test.htm

            When I made that change, it worked fine.

            I have to say, for over a year, I either had another FF running under Wine or just did a "Open File" in FF to view the file. I had no idea we could get it to work with the Linux system. This is great!

            Lee

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
              Same thing happening here. Also running running Firefox v2.0.0.14, on Ubuntu 7.10:

              file:///home/sister/.wine/drive_c/home/sister/Documents/sites/cosmic/big_bang.html

              I used the 'fix' you posted, Lee:

              ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox file:///^%path%"

              And it is now working. Had to turn off the debug option though as a nag dialogue was popping up.

              Now I need to find a way to make it more user friendly. I tried Larry's suggestion of dragging it to the clipbar but that didn't work.

              Will report later if this works with FF3 in Hardy 8.04.

              Thanks for your help guys. :)

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                > I have to say, for over a year, I either had another FF running
                under Wine or just did a "Open File" in FF to view the file. I had no
                idea we could get it to work with the Linux system. This is great!

                Yes, NoteTab can interact with many other programs. For example, the
                option to open the active document in another program via the Tool
                menu or CTRL+T. It is not working for some reason with Mousepad, the
                basic text editor used by the XFCE window manager. I thought it was
                working before, but while it opens the program, the text is not there.

                NoteTab's clip commands related to scripting also work for Bash/cli
                commands, however, I have not been able to capture the output of a
                bash command yet. It may not be possible to capture the output of a
                Linux command line directly via a clip command, so it may have to be
                piped to a file. I just got the syntax right last night to get it to
                display a command in a terminal.

                I'll try to wrap up my Linux clips/libraries later tonight. I had to
                bring some work home to help get something out to a client on time, so
                if that doesn't take too long....

                I'll see if I can figure out why I cannot get your version of the
                Firefox launch path to work. It would be good to have a single and
                simpler version.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                  > Now I need to find a way to make it more user friendly. I tried
                  Larry's suggestion of dragging it to the clipbar but that didn't work.

                  Sisterscape -

                  Did you drag the clip name to the ClipBar or the Tool Bar?

                  I just tried dragging a clip to the ClipBar and it worked.

                  NoteTab does not let us add clips to the Tool Bar, only the
                  functionality built into it for users to add and remove.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                    The name in the clipbar pane won't grab at all - no grabby icon - and the cursor just moves up the list of clips when I try to move the mouse towards the clipbar.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                      > The name in the clipbar pane won't grab at all - no
                      > grabby icon - and the cursor just moves up the list of
                      > clips when I try to move the mouse towards the clipbar.

                      That's odd. Do clipbars work otherwise?

                      Must be one of those Ubuntu things.

                      Lee- Can you add a button to a clipbar?

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                        Yep, worked just fine for me. I had the clip library open, and then just grabbed the clip and dragged it to the clipbar and it worked just fine.

                        Lee

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                          Honestly, I've never used the clipbar. I've always worked from the menus in the left pane. If I could combine clips from HTML and CSS etc into ONE bar I might use it. I'd get rid of all those deprecated attributes like <b> for starts. Is there a way to merge/edit them?

                          If Lee can do drag the clip I don' know why I can't. Bummer . . .

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008

                            > Honestly, I've never used the clipbar. I've always worked from the
                            menus in the left pane. If I could combine clips from HTML and CSS
                            etc into ONE bar I might use it. I'd get rid of all those deprecated
                            attributes like <b> for starts. Is there a way to merge/edit them?

                            There are a few clipbars that come with NoteTab. There are some with
                            the HTML and CSS functionality. The clip bar is just a bar for icons
                            pointing to clips. You can edit clips as you see fit, but if you edit
                            the clips that come with NoteTab, they are overwritten when you
                            re-install.

                            The clipbar is only available in Standard and Pro, not Light.

                            HTH,