Re: Launching document in Firefox

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008

      > Thanks! But I don't really know what to do with this (other than
      change the user name) - where do I put it and will it work when I
      click the launch icon? Sorry, very clip challenged even after all
      these years using NoteTab.

      > I'll go stand in a corner now . . .

      Sister -

      The clip will not affect the F8 key. It must be run as any other clip.

      The clip must be in a clip library, it can be added to an existing
      library or a new library can be created.

      To add a clip to an existing library, highlight and copy the clip, go
      to the desired clip in the clipbar on the left, press F4 to make the
      ClipBar show up. Right-Click on the library, choose "Add New Clip",
      then give the clip a name. (When you close NoteTab, it should ask if
      you want to save the clip, choose yes.)

      The clip must be run when the desired document to view in Firefox is
      in the active NoteTab Document window. Double-click the clip, or add
      it to a clip bar for a button to click.

      To add a clip to the clip bar, drag the clip name to the clip bar.
      This will give you a generic button icon, that you can change to any
      ico or bmp.

      This ought to get you started. More details on clips and the clipbar
      is in the Clip Help File, available off the Help menu. For more
      details on clips, the clip group will get you started.

      I will put my Linux clip library in the files area when I get home. I
      will try to generalize them, so they are not specific to a user, so
      minimal editing is required.

      HTH,

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008
        OK. I understand better now. Duh . . .

        I also checked in Hardy with Wine 1.0 and it's the same problem as in Gutsy.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008
          Larry,

          I got it to work. I replaced this:

          ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox /home/lee/.wine/drive_c/^%path%"

          with this:

          ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox file:///^%path%"

          Thanks!

          Lee

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008

            > Larry,
            >
            > I got it to work. I replaced this:
            >
            > ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox /home/lee/.wine/drive_c/^%path%"
            >
            > with this:
            >
            > ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox file:///^%path%"
            >
            > Thanks!

            I tried your variation, but it did not work for me. You're using
            Ubuntu, correct?

            What version of Firefox?

            I got to working on my Linux clip library, but it was a late start,
            and I need to be able to function at work. I made some progress on a
            half working clip, but still a few snags. I'll post what I have once I
            get more time to clean it up.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
              I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 and FF 2.0.0.14. The original line you had appended a bunch of stuff together:

              file:///home/lee/.wine/drive_c/home/lee/Jupitermedia/Testing/test.htm

              When I made that change, it worked fine.

              I have to say, for over a year, I either had another FF running under Wine or just did a "Open File" in FF to view the file. I had no idea we could get it to work with the Linux system. This is great!

              Lee

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                Same thing happening here. Also running running Firefox v2.0.0.14, on Ubuntu 7.10:

                file:///home/sister/.wine/drive_c/home/sister/Documents/sites/cosmic/big_bang.html

                I used the 'fix' you posted, Lee:

                ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox file:///^%path%"

                And it is now working. Had to turn off the debug option though as a nag dialogue was popping up.

                Now I need to find a way to make it more user friendly. I tried Larry's suggestion of dragging it to the clipbar but that didn't work.

                Will report later if this works with FF3 in Hardy 8.04.

                Thanks for your help guys. :)

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                  > I have to say, for over a year, I either had another FF running
                  under Wine or just did a "Open File" in FF to view the file. I had no
                  idea we could get it to work with the Linux system. This is great!

                  Yes, NoteTab can interact with many other programs. For example, the
                  option to open the active document in another program via the Tool
                  menu or CTRL+T. It is not working for some reason with Mousepad, the
                  basic text editor used by the XFCE window manager. I thought it was
                  working before, but while it opens the program, the text is not there.

                  NoteTab's clip commands related to scripting also work for Bash/cli
                  commands, however, I have not been able to capture the output of a
                  bash command yet. It may not be possible to capture the output of a
                  Linux command line directly via a clip command, so it may have to be
                  piped to a file. I just got the syntax right last night to get it to
                  display a command in a terminal.

                  I'll try to wrap up my Linux clips/libraries later tonight. I had to
                  bring some work home to help get something out to a client on time, so
                  if that doesn't take too long....

                  I'll see if I can figure out why I cannot get your version of the
                  Firefox launch path to work. It would be good to have a single and
                  simpler version.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                    > Now I need to find a way to make it more user friendly. I tried
                    Larry's suggestion of dragging it to the clipbar but that didn't work.

                    Sisterscape -

                    Did you drag the clip name to the ClipBar or the Tool Bar?

                    I just tried dragging a clip to the ClipBar and it worked.

                    NoteTab does not let us add clips to the Tool Bar, only the
                    functionality built into it for users to add and remove.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                      The name in the clipbar pane won't grab at all - no grabby icon - and the cursor just moves up the list of clips when I try to move the mouse towards the clipbar.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                        > The name in the clipbar pane won't grab at all - no
                        > grabby icon - and the cursor just moves up the list of
                        > clips when I try to move the mouse towards the clipbar.

                        That's odd. Do clipbars work otherwise?

                        Must be one of those Ubuntu things.

                        Lee- Can you add a button to a clipbar?

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                          Yep, worked just fine for me. I had the clip library open, and then just grabbed the clip and dragged it to the clipbar and it worked just fine.

                          Lee

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                            Honestly, I've never used the clipbar. I've always worked from the menus in the left pane. If I could combine clips from HTML and CSS etc into ONE bar I might use it. I'd get rid of all those deprecated attributes like <b> for starts. Is there a way to merge/edit them?

                            If Lee can do drag the clip I don' know why I can't. Bummer . . .

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008

                              > Honestly, I've never used the clipbar. I've always worked from the
                              menus in the left pane. If I could combine clips from HTML and CSS
                              etc into ONE bar I might use it. I'd get rid of all those deprecated
                              attributes like <b> for starts. Is there a way to merge/edit them?

                              There are a few clipbars that come with NoteTab. There are some with
                              the HTML and CSS functionality. The clip bar is just a bar for icons
                              pointing to clips. You can edit clips as you see fit, but if you edit
                              the clips that come with NoteTab, they are overwritten when you
                              re-install.

                              The clipbar is only available in Standard and Pro, not Light.

                              HTH,