Re: [ntb-linux] Small Progress -WAS-> Re: [wine] Unresolved Issues of NoteTab on Wine

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 22, 2007

      > I have made some small progress.

      I will try as you suggested later tonight or tomorrow (my head feels
      like it's going to split open with info - I'm drowning!).

      > I also found that CodeWeavers CrossOver Compatibility Center, AKA the
      > fee version of Wine, have a way to pay for desired fixes.

      Before you get all excited about Crossover read this:

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 22, 2007

        > --- lm_hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I have made some small progress.
        > >

        > I will try as you suggested later tonight or tomorrow (my head feels
        > like it's going to split open with info - I'm drowning!).
        >

        > > I also found that CodeWeavers CrossOver Compatibility Center, AKA the
        > > fee version of Wine, have a way to pay for desired fixes.
        > >

        > Before you get all excited about Crossover read this:

        First, what version of NoteTab, Light/Std/Pro?

        I am not sure what is different in Codeweavers "Crossover Linux". I
        know that WineHQ and Codeweavers work together on a lot of things
        since they have a common code base. Whatever the difference prevents
        NoteTab (type?) from running in Crossover Linux.

        I am not going to spring the $ for Crossover Linux. I merely mentioned
        that Codeweavers has a process in place for those who are interested
        in a particular issue, can pay to address it. This can also benefit Wine.

        Since NoteTab in all varieties does install and at least run in Wine,
        I am focused on that piece. Hopefully, WineHQ.org can give us a
        relatively quick resolution.

        Thanks for the info!
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 22, 2007

          > Sisterscape, et. al., please try and see if this fix will work for
          > you.
          >
          > With at least double-click and search UP working, that gives quite a
          > bit of lost functionality back.

          Yes, I am able to search and replace going up and double click to
          select a word. In addition, "join lines" sometimes works, sometimes
          throws an error but works anyway. Still need Ctrl + arrow to select
          large blocks of text.

          However, I am still getting many, many errors. Most relate to
          riched20.dll. So I thought I would also replace that file as I did the
          other one. I went to the same site to get the second dll but it seems
          that their riched20.dll is corrupted,. I tried in both Ubuntu and
          Linux with the same results. I have a Win98 disk here but couldn't
          find the dll on it because most everything is in .cab and .exe files.
          I'm hoping that maybe you can find a copy for us to play with.

          Enough for today . . .

          Need a vacation? Get great deals
          to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
          http://travel.yahoo.com/
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 23, 2007
            Sisterscape,

            I finally got Win98 fired up and got the dlls from there.

            Dir rich*.dll in the c:\windows\system directory revealed three dlls:
            riched.dll, riched20.dll, and riched32.dll. 241.1, 412, and 168.8 KB
            respectively. This is much bigger than the dlls from dll-files.com.

            I put these in the .wine\drive_c\windows\system32 directory.

            I then set winecfg to use them as native,builtin. With NoteTab Light
            in Win98 emulation. I used NoteTab Light 4.95.

            I then tested and confirmed resolution of all but one of your issues.

            The issue with adding fonts to the .fonts directory. This is not a
            Wine or Windows dll issue.

            Make sure Wine is not running, i.e. any Windows program in Wine. Then
            update here.

            If the fonts are only for use with Windows programs, then put them in
            the .wine\drive_c\windows\fonts directory. Again, make sure Wine is
            not running.

            It seemed a lot slower to me, but I was running video and music, so it
            may be I hit the limit of my mere 256 MB RAM, on this PC.

            The above should also be the solution for NoteTab Standard.

            Please let me know if this does not work for you, with specifics.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 23, 2007

              > Sisterscape,
              >
              > I finally got Win98 fired up and got the dlls from there.
              >
              > Dir rich*.dll in the c:\windows\system directory revealed three dlls:
              > riched.dll, riched20.dll, and riched32.dll. 241.1, 412, and 168.8 KB
              > respectively. This is much bigger than the dlls from dll-files.com.
              >
              > I put these in the .wine\drive_c\windows\system32 directory.
              >
              > I then set winecfg to use them as native,builtin. With NoteTab Light
              > in Win98 emulation. I used NoteTab Light 4.95.
              >
              > I then tested and confirmed resolution of all but one of your issues.

              OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are a wizard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

              After some unsuccessful attempts at getting this to work, I decided to
              start from scratch - new wineconf, new NTB install. Then I switched
              out the Win98 dlls, made the wineconf changes you suggested and VIOLA!

              I can't tell you how grateful I am for your efforts in sleuthing this
              down. I'm off to post the fix to the LUG list right now.

              Me soooo happy to have NoteTab back again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

              Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 23, 2007
                > OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are a wizard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                Hey, I'm good. Humble too. ;-)

                >After some unsuccessful attempts at getting this to work, I
                >decided to start from scratch - new wineconf, new NTB install.
                >Then I switched out the Win98 dlls, made the wineconf changes
                >you suggested and VIOLA!
                >
                >I can't tell you how grateful I am for your efforts in sleuthing
                >this down. I'm off to post the fix to the LUG list right now.

                Glad to help. If this can help NoteTab in any way, then I am glad.

                >Me soooo happy to have NoteTab back again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                Yeah!