Launching document in Firefox

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 29, 2008
      Well, I am stumped. Since upgrading to Wine 1.0, I am no longer able to launch an active html page from NoteTab. firefox %u in the Main Browser option used to work but no more.

      The firefox shell script is located in /usr/lib/firefox. I have tried the Windoze way - z:\usr\lib\firefox\firefox and the Linux way /usr/lib/firefox/firefox. Nothing works.

      Any ideas?
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 29, 2008
        --- On Sun, 6/29/08, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

        > Well, I am stumped. Since upgrading to Wine 1.0, I am no
        > longer able to launch an active html page from NoteTab.
        > firefox %u in the Main Browser option used to work but no
        > more.
        >
        > The firefox shell script is located in /usr/lib/firefox. I
        > have tried the Windoze way -
        > z:\usr\lib\firefox\firefox and the Linux
        > way /usr/lib/firefox/firefox. Nothing works.
        >
        > Any ideas?

        I have had problems with that on Slackware, so I developed this clip.

        I am still running Firefox 2, as Firefox 3 did not run for me, the package was for Slackware 12.1, and I am still on 12.0. Therefore, I am not sure what procedures may be required to make this work for Firefox 3, if any.

        Please let me know if this works for you.

        The commented line starting with NOTE is a long, wrapped line. The last two lines of the clip are not needed, but kept for reference, in case others need them.

        <clip follows>
        ;03/05/2005 Larry Hamilton
        ;5/23/2007 Updated for NoteTab 5.x and Firefox 2.0.
        ;Launch current file in Firefox, can modify for any browser.
        ;^!Shell "z:\usr\bin\firefox /home/larry/wine/program files/NoteTab/^**"
        ;^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox ^**"
        ^!SetDebug ON
        ^!Set %name%=^$GetFileName(^**)$
        ^!Set %dir%=^$GetPath(^**)$
        ;^!Info ^%dir%^%name%
        ;Folowing removes C:\
        ^!Set %path%=^$StrDeleteLeft("^%dir%";3)$
        ;Following changes \ to / for proper Linux path.
        ^!Set %path%=^$StrReplace("\";"/";"^%path%^%name%";false;true)$
        ;NOTE: If Firefox 1.5 is already running, this does NOT give it the focus. It does work with Firefox 2.0.
        ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox /home/larry/.wine/drive_c/^%path%"
        ;^!FocusApp "*Mozilla Firefox"
        ;^!Keyboard ALT+TAB
        <clip above>
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 29, 2008
          Thanks! But I don't really know what to do with this (other than change the user name) - where do I put it and will it work when I click the launch icon? Sorry, very clip challenged even after all these years using NoteTab.

          I'll go stand in a corner now . . .

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008
            Larry,

            Running it as a clip, I do get focus in the browser, but the path is messed-up. This is what is displayed in the address bar of the browser:

            file:///home/lee/.wine/drive_c/home/lee/Jupitermedia/Testing/test.htm

            I'm running Firefox v2.0.0.14, on Ubuntu 7.10.

            Lee

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008

              > Larry,
              >
              > Running it as a clip, I do get focus in the browser, but the path is
              messed-up. This is what is displayed in the address bar of the browser:

              > file:///home/lee/.wine/drive_c/home/lee/Jupitermedia/Testing/test.htm
              >
              > I'm running Firefox v2.0.0.14, on Ubuntu 7.10.

              I do not have the clip at work, or Linux to review it. I did test it
              on my system before I posted it.

              I will review when I get home and get back to you.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008

                > Thanks! But I don't really know what to do with this (other than
                change the user name) - where do I put it and will it work when I
                click the launch icon? Sorry, very clip challenged even after all
                these years using NoteTab.

                > I'll go stand in a corner now . . .

                Sister -

                The clip will not affect the F8 key. It must be run as any other clip.

                The clip must be in a clip library, it can be added to an existing
                library or a new library can be created.

                To add a clip to an existing library, highlight and copy the clip, go
                to the desired clip in the clipbar on the left, press F4 to make the
                ClipBar show up. Right-Click on the library, choose "Add New Clip",
                then give the clip a name. (When you close NoteTab, it should ask if
                you want to save the clip, choose yes.)

                The clip must be run when the desired document to view in Firefox is
                in the active NoteTab Document window. Double-click the clip, or add
                it to a clip bar for a button to click.

                To add a clip to the clip bar, drag the clip name to the clip bar.
                This will give you a generic button icon, that you can change to any
                ico or bmp.

                This ought to get you started. More details on clips and the clipbar
                is in the Clip Help File, available off the Help menu. For more
                details on clips, the clip group will get you started.

                I will put my Linux clip library in the files area when I get home. I
                will try to generalize them, so they are not specific to a user, so
                minimal editing is required.

                HTH,

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008
                  OK. I understand better now. Duh . . .

                  I also checked in Hardy with Wine 1.0 and it's the same problem as in Gutsy.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008
                    Larry,

                    I got it to work. I replaced this:

                    ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox /home/lee/.wine/drive_c/^%path%"

                    with this:

                    ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox file:///^%path%"

                    Thanks!

                    Lee

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 30, 2008

                      > Larry,
                      >
                      > I got it to work. I replaced this:
                      >
                      > ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox /home/lee/.wine/drive_c/^%path%"
                      >
                      > with this:
                      >
                      > ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox file:///^%path%"
                      >
                      > Thanks!

                      I tried your variation, but it did not work for me. You're using
                      Ubuntu, correct?

                      What version of Firefox?

                      I got to working on my Linux clip library, but it was a late start,
                      and I need to be able to function at work. I made some progress on a
                      half working clip, but still a few snags. I'll post what I have once I
                      get more time to clean it up.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                        I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 and FF 2.0.0.14. The original line you had appended a bunch of stuff together:

                        file:///home/lee/.wine/drive_c/home/lee/Jupitermedia/Testing/test.htm

                        When I made that change, it worked fine.

                        I have to say, for over a year, I either had another FF running under Wine or just did a "Open File" in FF to view the file. I had no idea we could get it to work with the Linux system. This is great!

                        Lee

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                          Same thing happening here. Also running running Firefox v2.0.0.14, on Ubuntu 7.10:

                          file:///home/sister/.wine/drive_c/home/sister/Documents/sites/cosmic/big_bang.html

                          I used the 'fix' you posted, Lee:

                          ^!Shell "/usr/bin/firefox file:///^%path%"

                          And it is now working. Had to turn off the debug option though as a nag dialogue was popping up.

                          Now I need to find a way to make it more user friendly. I tried Larry's suggestion of dragging it to the clipbar but that didn't work.

                          Will report later if this works with FF3 in Hardy 8.04.

                          Thanks for your help guys. :)

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                            > I have to say, for over a year, I either had another FF running
                            under Wine or just did a "Open File" in FF to view the file. I had no
                            idea we could get it to work with the Linux system. This is great!

                            Yes, NoteTab can interact with many other programs. For example, the
                            option to open the active document in another program via the Tool
                            menu or CTRL+T. It is not working for some reason with Mousepad, the
                            basic text editor used by the XFCE window manager. I thought it was
                            working before, but while it opens the program, the text is not there.

                            NoteTab's clip commands related to scripting also work for Bash/cli
                            commands, however, I have not been able to capture the output of a
                            bash command yet. It may not be possible to capture the output of a
                            Linux command line directly via a clip command, so it may have to be
                            piped to a file. I just got the syntax right last night to get it to
                            display a command in a terminal.

                            I'll try to wrap up my Linux clips/libraries later tonight. I had to
                            bring some work home to help get something out to a client on time, so
                            if that doesn't take too long....

                            I'll see if I can figure out why I cannot get your version of the
                            Firefox launch path to work. It would be good to have a single and
                            simpler version.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                              > Now I need to find a way to make it more user friendly. I tried
                              Larry's suggestion of dragging it to the clipbar but that didn't work.

                              Sisterscape -

                              Did you drag the clip name to the ClipBar or the Tool Bar?

                              I just tried dragging a clip to the ClipBar and it worked.

                              NoteTab does not let us add clips to the Tool Bar, only the
                              functionality built into it for users to add and remove.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                                The name in the clipbar pane won't grab at all - no grabby icon - and the cursor just moves up the list of clips when I try to move the mouse towards the clipbar.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                                  > The name in the clipbar pane won't grab at all - no
                                  > grabby icon - and the cursor just moves up the list of
                                  > clips when I try to move the mouse towards the clipbar.

                                  That's odd. Do clipbars work otherwise?

                                  Must be one of those Ubuntu things.

                                  Lee- Can you add a button to a clipbar?

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                                    Yep, worked just fine for me. I had the clip library open, and then just grabbed the clip and dragged it to the clipbar and it worked just fine.

                                    Lee

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                                      Honestly, I've never used the clipbar. I've always worked from the menus in the left pane. If I could combine clips from HTML and CSS etc into ONE bar I might use it. I'd get rid of all those deprecated attributes like <b> for starts. Is there a way to merge/edit them?

                                      If Lee can do drag the clip I don' know why I can't. Bummer . . .

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008

                                        > Honestly, I've never used the clipbar. I've always worked from the
                                        menus in the left pane. If I could combine clips from HTML and CSS
                                        etc into ONE bar I might use it. I'd get rid of all those deprecated
                                        attributes like <b> for starts. Is there a way to merge/edit them?

                                        There are a few clipbars that come with NoteTab. There are some with
                                        the HTML and CSS functionality. The clip bar is just a bar for icons
                                        pointing to clips. You can edit clips as you see fit, but if you edit
                                        the clips that come with NoteTab, they are overwritten when you
                                        re-install.

                                        The clipbar is only available in Standard and Pro, not Light.

                                        HTH,