Wine 0.9.61 Released & Code Freeze for 1.0

    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2008
      Yesterday saw two big developments from WineHQ.org.

      The latest release of Wine and the announcement of a code freeze for
      Wine 1.0.

      As the Slackware package is not yet available, and they also just
      released Slackware 12.1, it will be awhile before I can try 0.9.61 on
      my main PC. I'll let you all know once I get to that point.

      Please let us know if Wine 0.9.61 improves any Ubuntu or other distros
      issues with NoteTab.

      Below is a copy & paster of the 0.9.61 release announcement. It looks
      like NoteTab Light & Standard *may* work better in Wine with the
      richedit fixes. Also they made some fixes that I would think should
      improve the performance of NoteTab Pro.

      Wine 0.9.61 was released today [2 may 2008], with the following main
      changes:

      * Automatic updating of the WINEPREFIX directory.
      * Winhelp now uses Richedit as display engine.
      * Many RichEdit fixes.
      * More improvements to IME support.
      * More quartz fixes.
      * Implementation for many more Gdiplus functions.
      * Lots of bug fixes.

      Larry Hamilton
    • tr6vb6z02@sneakemail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2008
        Running Ubuntu 8.04, I just installed Wine 0.9.61 from the Ubuntu
        repository (auto update).

        NoteTab DOES show on the panel, just like it did with 0.9.60. Good!

        Minimize and UnMaximize options are no longer grayed out when right
        clicking the NoteTab button in the panel. This wasn't bugging me, but I
        noticed someone else mention it.

        When I switch desktops and come back to the desktop where Notetab is
        active, The NoteTab window is very BRIEFLY larger than the desktop, but
        then almost instantly flashes back to regular maximized size. This is
        an improvement over wine 0.9.60.

        With Wine 0.9.60 the Find window within NoteTab, (as well as various
        other popup windows) had an odd problem. If the popup window ever lost
        focus, it would disappear, and leave a funky little rectangle in the
        middle of the screen, but behind Notetab. The only way to close the
        invisible window would be to close NoteTab. BUT, with wine 0.9.61, this
        no longer happens! Popup windows appear to be working normally in
        NoteTab. This is a BIG improvement! But I still find it odd that the
        window changes sizes at all whenever you switch desktops. At least it
        autocorrects now.

        Since I first started using NoteTab under wine, there has been a strange
        issue with moving the cursor past the bottom of the screen. If the last
        two visible lines in the Notetab window are 37 and 38, and you press the
        down arrow, the screen advances like it should so that line 39 is now
        the last visible line, but the cursor, instead of being on line 39 like
        it should, actually APPEARS moves UP to be on line 37. It hasn't
        ACTUALLY moved up, because if you start typing, your text (and the
        cursor) appear on line 39. Unfortunately, this is still the same in
        Wine 0.9.61. No biggie, I can live with it.

        Another problem I've had since forever is that the Save-As function
        locks up on anything other than an unsaved temp document. You can close
        NoteTab, but if you restart it, you end up right back where you were,
        looking at the hourglass as it tries to save the document under a
        different name. The only exception to this seems to be that save-as
        works just fine for unsaved new documents. This is ALSO not fixed under
        Wine 0.9.61. But, I was living with it before, so its not the end of
        the world.

        From what I've tested so far, Wine 0.9.61 appears to fix the goofy
        problems that were added in the last few releases. And I haven't
        noticed any new problems. At least so far. This seems to be a big step
        forward to where we were a few months ago. :)
      • tr6vb6z02@sneakemail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2008
          Ugh, sorry, a bad cut and paste. The sentence
          "But I still find it odd that the window changes sizes at all whenever
          you switch desktops. At least it
          autocorrects now."

          Should have appeared after the paragraph about the window changing size
          when you switched desktops. Not after the paragraph about the popup
          windows.

          <sigh> Sorry!

          Donald
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2008
            Donald,

            Thank you for your detailed report on Ubuntu!

            This is indeed good news for most of those on this list. I had hoped
            this update would clean things up. As with beta software, glitches are
            to be expected. I am just glad the fixes are quicker than they used to
            be. That is, quicker for those that do not want to build from source.

            Larry Hamilton