Hardy kernel on Gutsy [slightly OT]

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2008
      Since I put together my new machine I've been having hibernation
      trouble. I could go into and come out of hibernation two times but a
      third attempt ALWAYS failed. Google found two mentions of this bug but
      no solutions.

      So today, I started troubleshooting by doing a clean install of Gutsy
      on a spare drive. Tested both before and after updates. Same problem.
      Couldn't go into hibernation for a third time.

      Next, I tried loading a newer kernel from Hardy - 2.6.24-16 - on the
      Gutsy clean install as per this thread -
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=646755 and voila, it worked!
      That allowed me to hibernate correctly.

      However, when I replaced my working drive and tried the kernel upgrade.
      The result was even worse than before. The hard drive turned off but
      the system wouldn't power down. I uninstalled the Hardy kernel and took
      a break.

      After food and downtime, I took another shot at installing the Hardy
      kernel on Gutsy. THIS TIME IT WORKED (have no idea why it didn't the
      first time)! I am now able to hibernate repeatedly.

      IT LOOKS LIKE THIS IS A BUG BETWEEN GUTSY AND MY HARDWARE
      CONFIGURATION!

      I am so happy to have found a fix for this. ;)

      So what does this have to do with NoteTab? Well, I thought some of you
      might want to try this option to access the improvements in Hardy
      without doing a full out upgrade quite yet. It has pretty much taken
      care of my 'empty frame' problem. Next time I update some sites I'll
      find out if it clears up some of the other little bugs. Remember
      though, I'm still on wine-0.9.58.

      Be a better friend, newshound, and