Re: [ntb-linux] NoteTab Pro works with Wine 0.9.60

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 27, 2008
      Something is still not right with NoteTab. Hard to tell whether it is
      Wine, Hardy or VirtualBox. Bummer . . .

      NoteTab now minimizes but won't mazimize from the panel tab. It will
      maximize if I click the desktop icon even once THEN the panel icon.
      Very strange. Needs more testing.

      Also not too thrilled about Firefox Beta 3. It screws up my addons
      etc.

      Looks like I'll be sticking with Gutsy for a while since everything is
      working.

      Sister

      > Am in the process of downloading right now . . . it's going to take a
      > while.
      >
      > Lee, try using the method in the link below to get 0.9.60. From your
      > report, it seems that 0.9.59 is still broken in Hardy.
      >

      > --- donaldhines <tr6vb6z02@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)
      > > and installed Wine 0.9.60 using the instructions on this page:
      > >
      > http://www.ubuntu1501.com/2008/04/installing-wine-in-hardy-heron.html
      > >
      > > And, Tada! Notetab works again!!!!
      > >
      > > It still has problems, every time you switch to another desktop the
      > > window maximizes to larger than the screen size. BUT, at least
      > there
      > > is a button for notetab pro in the panel again.

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 27, 2008
        I ran wineprefixcreate and received the following:

        preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
        preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
        err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
        preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
        err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
        preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
        err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
        err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
        preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
        err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
        err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
        err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
        fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on CA0106, disabling mixer
        preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
        err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
        Could not load Mozilla. HTML rendering will be disabled.
        preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
        err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
        /home/lee/.wine updated successfully.

        Anyone know what any of that means?

        It still doesn't show in the alt=tab window. Unfortunately, I'm too deep into Heron now to turn back. Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed at the people at Mozilla. People reply on the addons, they should have made sure it was compatible with the main ones before releasing it. I bit tick off at them, I am.

        I'll see about getting a newer version.

        Lee

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 27, 2008
          Well, I updated and have the same problem as you. What a mess!

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 27, 2008
            Terminal spat out similar warnings here but ended with "wine updated
            successfully" as yours did.

            I have been testing some more. In addition to the maximize not working
            directly, a small one px white artifact appears center screen when
            NoteTab is minimized. Very annoying.

            I'm going to install on a spare box next and see if that makes a
            difference (as opposed to VirtualBox).

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
              FYI, was poking around on the Ubuntu Wine forum and found this thread
              on the 00000000 errors -

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
                Thanks, but aside from not displaying the "0" it doesn't do anything. In fact, running NTP under Wine now whitewashes portions of the bar at the bottom of my screen. I have to mouseover everything but even then the bar is still white.

                I'm afraid that if it doesn't get any better, I'll have to abandon NTP, except when running it under VB. It's a shame it's not being ported over to Linux, seeing that looks like the way many people are going, especially developers.

                Lee

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
                  Actually, I think that I'm going back to Ubuntu 7.10. The new version has really screwed-up a lot of things, added too many new things, and needs too many workarounds. (I hope this is not a trend.)

                  Anybody tried NYP under "CrossOver"?

                  Lee

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
                    Yes. When I tested last fall, NT was more screwed up in Crossover than
                    it was in Wine. Bummer . . . :(

                    Maybe we could shoot some money at the Wine developers to fix this for
                    us?