Re: [ntb-linux] NoteTab Pro works with Wine 0.9.60

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 27, 2008
      That's good news! I just installed Hardy in Virtual Box and am
      planning to install Wine and NoteTab later today.

      Then I'm going to install on a spare box. If all goes well (I had a
      bit of a problem with the video card in VB), I'll upgrade my working
      machine.

      Onward!

      --- donaldhines <tr6vb6z02@...> wrote:

      > I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)
      > and installed Wine 0.9.60 using the instructions on this page:
      > http://www.ubuntu1501.com/2008/04/installing-wine-in-hardy-heron.html
      >
      > And, Tada! Notetab works again!!!!
      >
      > It still has problems, every time you switch to another desktop the
      > window maximizes to larger than the screen size. BUT, at least there
      > is a button for notetab pro in the panel again.

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 27, 2008
        Am in the process of downloading right now . . . it's going to take a
        while.

        Lee, try using the method in the link below to get 0.9.60. From your
        report, it seems that 0.9.59 is still broken in Hardy.

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 27, 2008
          Something is still not right with NoteTab. Hard to tell whether it is
          Wine, Hardy or VirtualBox. Bummer . . .

          NoteTab now minimizes but won't mazimize from the panel tab. It will
          maximize if I click the desktop icon even once THEN the panel icon.
          Very strange. Needs more testing.

          Also not too thrilled about Firefox Beta 3. It screws up my addons
          etc.

          Looks like I'll be sticking with Gutsy for a while since everything is
          working.

          Sister

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 27, 2008
            I ran wineprefixcreate and received the following:

            preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
            preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
            err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
            preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
            err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
            preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
            err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
            err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
            preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
            err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
            err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
            err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
            fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on CA0106, disabling mixer
            preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
            err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
            Could not load Mozilla. HTML rendering will be disabled.
            preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
            err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
            /home/lee/.wine updated successfully.

            Anyone know what any of that means?

            It still doesn't show in the alt=tab window. Unfortunately, I'm too deep into Heron now to turn back. Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed at the people at Mozilla. People reply on the addons, they should have made sure it was compatible with the main ones before releasing it. I bit tick off at them, I am.

            I'll see about getting a newer version.

            Lee

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 27, 2008
              Well, I updated and have the same problem as you. What a mess!

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 27, 2008
                Terminal spat out similar warnings here but ended with "wine updated
                successfully" as yours did.

                I have been testing some more. In addition to the maximize not working
                directly, a small one px white artifact appears center screen when
                NoteTab is minimized. Very annoying.

                I'm going to install on a spare box next and see if that makes a
                difference (as opposed to VirtualBox).

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
                  FYI, was poking around on the Ubuntu Wine forum and found this thread
                  on the 00000000 errors -

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
                    Thanks, but aside from not displaying the "0" it doesn't do anything. In fact, running NTP under Wine now whitewashes portions of the bar at the bottom of my screen. I have to mouseover everything but even then the bar is still white.

                    I'm afraid that if it doesn't get any better, I'll have to abandon NTP, except when running it under VB. It's a shame it's not being ported over to Linux, seeing that looks like the way many people are going, especially developers.

                    Lee

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
                      Actually, I think that I'm going back to Ubuntu 7.10. The new version has really screwed-up a lot of things, added too many new things, and needs too many workarounds. (I hope this is not a trend.)

                      Anybody tried NYP under "CrossOver"?

                      Lee

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
                        Yes. When I tested last fall, NT was more screwed up in Crossover than
                        it was in Wine. Bummer . . . :(

                        Maybe we could shoot some money at the Wine developers to fix this for
                        us?