NoteTab Pro works with Wine 0.9.60

  • donaldhines
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 27, 2008
      I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)
      and installed Wine 0.9.60 using the instructions on this page:
      http://www.ubuntu1501.com/2008/04/installing-wine-in-hardy-heron.html

      And, Tada! Notetab works again!!!!

      It still has problems, every time you switch to another desktop the
      window maximizes to larger than the screen size. BUT, at least there
      is a button for notetab pro in the panel again.
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 27, 2008
        That's good news! I just installed Hardy in Virtual Box and am
        planning to install Wine and NoteTab later today.

        Then I'm going to install on a spare box. If all goes well (I had a
        bit of a problem with the video card in VB), I'll upgrade my working
        machine.

        Onward!

        --- donaldhines <tr6vb6z02@...> wrote:

        > I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)
        > and installed Wine 0.9.60 using the instructions on this page:
        > http://www.ubuntu1501.com/2008/04/installing-wine-in-hardy-heron.html
        >
        > And, Tada! Notetab works again!!!!
        >
        > It still has problems, every time you switch to another desktop the
        > window maximizes to larger than the screen size. BUT, at least there
        > is a button for notetab pro in the panel again.

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 27, 2008
          Am in the process of downloading right now . . . it's going to take a
          while.

          Lee, try using the method in the link below to get 0.9.60. From your
          report, it seems that 0.9.59 is still broken in Hardy.

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 27, 2008
            Something is still not right with NoteTab. Hard to tell whether it is
            Wine, Hardy or VirtualBox. Bummer . . .

            NoteTab now minimizes but won't mazimize from the panel tab. It will
            maximize if I click the desktop icon even once THEN the panel icon.
            Very strange. Needs more testing.

            Also not too thrilled about Firefox Beta 3. It screws up my addons
            etc.

            Looks like I'll be sticking with Gutsy for a while since everything is
            working.

            Sister

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 27, 2008
              I ran wineprefixcreate and received the following:

              preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
              preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
              err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
              preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
              err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
              preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
              err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
              err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
              preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
              err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
              err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
              err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
              fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on CA0106, disabling mixer
              preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
              err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
              Could not load Mozilla. HTML rendering will be disabled.
              preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
              err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
              /home/lee/.wine updated successfully.

              Anyone know what any of that means?

              It still doesn't show in the alt=tab window. Unfortunately, I'm too deep into Heron now to turn back. Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed at the people at Mozilla. People reply on the addons, they should have made sure it was compatible with the main ones before releasing it. I bit tick off at them, I am.

              I'll see about getting a newer version.

              Lee

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 27, 2008
                Well, I updated and have the same problem as you. What a mess!

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 27, 2008
                  Terminal spat out similar warnings here but ended with "wine updated
                  successfully" as yours did.

                  I have been testing some more. In addition to the maximize not working
                  directly, a small one px white artifact appears center screen when
                  NoteTab is minimized. Very annoying.

                  I'm going to install on a spare box next and see if that makes a
                  difference (as opposed to VirtualBox).

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
                    FYI, was poking around on the Ubuntu Wine forum and found this thread
                    on the 00000000 errors -

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
                      Thanks, but aside from not displaying the "0" it doesn't do anything. In fact, running NTP under Wine now whitewashes portions of the bar at the bottom of my screen. I have to mouseover everything but even then the bar is still white.

                      I'm afraid that if it doesn't get any better, I'll have to abandon NTP, except when running it under VB. It's a shame it's not being ported over to Linux, seeing that looks like the way many people are going, especially developers.

                      Lee

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
                        Actually, I think that I'm going back to Ubuntu 7.10. The new version has really screwed-up a lot of things, added too many new things, and needs too many workarounds. (I hope this is not a trend.)

                        Anybody tried NYP under "CrossOver"?

                        Lee

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
                          Yes. When I tested last fall, NT was more screwed up in Crossover than
                          it was in Wine. Bummer . . . :(

                          Maybe we could shoot some money at the Wine developers to fix this for
                          us?