Virt. Mach. too was Re: wine-0.9.59 and Compiz

  • acummingsus
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008

      > I uninstalled, rolled back to wine-0.9.58 and removed the wine
      > repository for the moment.
      >
      > How should we approach this with the Wine folks? The thought of
      > Windows, even in virtualization, is distasteful to say the least.

      (No guarantee, but if I get some time, I'll try wine 0959 on my
      Slackware 12.0 with KDE desktop) (I've a rather older wine installed
      -- but I haven't even used wine for a rather long time due what's next
      -- I have a very reliable virtual machine (obviates the need for wine).

      (virt. mach. does need certain hardware requirements due the virt.
      mach. is some added overhead) -- IOW wine may be better unless you
      hardware meet said requirement for virt. mach.)

      I won't say anything about my learning curve so as to achieve the next
      with LAN and internet access (for, I found it distasteful as to my
      amount of effort needed for me to 1. sufficiently understand in order
      to 2. implement for the first time the next (Qemu/Win 2k) enclosed
      scenario.

      (but now, however, I am just nutso (rather fascinated with) virtual
      machines to the tune of I have a Intel dual core box that I'm yet to
      try the KVM and the Xen virtual machines (both of those need/use the
      integrated hardware support of said dual core cpu) and the free Vmware
      Server).
      --

      (note: Win 2K is one of the fastest running Win in Qemu. Win 95 is
      the other of the 2 fastest in Qemu. Win 98, Win ME,and Win XP are the

      I've been running Windows 2000 in Qemu (virtualized hardware) for well
      over a year without any problems. My host operating system has always
      been the Slackware Linux distribution.

      My (real, actual physical) hardware is a pentium 4 2.8 GHZ Intel
      Northwood cpu with 4 gigabytes of DDR ram, an ultra 160 scsi hard
      drive, an (old) Matrox G450 AGP video adapter with 32 megs of video ram.

      I've been using Slackware 12.0 since it was first released. The
      latest Qemu using the kqemu accelerator. Works totally reasonably,
      totally useable with Win 2K SP4 runs inside Qemu. Notetab always
      works just fine. I've LAN and internet access with both the host and
      the guest (Win 2K) OS's. Using Qemu's Samba feature/option I also
      have file sharing back and forth between my host and my guest
      operating systems.

      It's been so steady and reliable that I almost couldn't break it if I
      tried. So, guess what -- I *just keep using it* over and over and
      over again.

      I've been on Linux for near 7 years now. So I don't always fire up
      Qemu/Win 2K (I do lots my work with Linux). I just use the KDE
      desktop in Slackware 12.0

      I have an icon on my mentioned KDE desktop. It's an icon of a penguin
      given if this penguin were Batman. IOW, a penguin'ized (not human)
      version of Batman.

      Such icon is also a shortcut (called desktop launcher in Linux) it
      launches my Qemu/Windows 2000 (might as well have fun).

      What else is it if it's not a batpenguin when launch a 2nd operating
      system (run two different operating systems simultaneously on *one
      real hardware* box?

      Never mind the dual boot. No need to boot in and out. Just run both
      (or three or four) all at once.

      PS yep I been running Debian Etch on another (not my primary) box.
      Slack is what I run but Debian has been around for a long time. A
      little multi distro familiarity. Both let me learn Linux though
      Slackware lets me learn linux/unix even more so than what Debian does.

      It's a way, the Linux/Unix way.

      --
      Alan.