Wine 0.9.59 Issues

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 14 6:09 PM
      I finally got Wine 0.9.59 installed.

      I followed my long standing practice of uninstalling the prior version
      of Wine, then installing the new version. I then ran wineprefixcreate.

      I run Slackware 12.0, and do not run Compiz.

      For me, NoteTab Pro 5.61 runs fine, apart from the ongoing issue of
      the cursor appearing to be above the line where it is, if you start
      typing.

      My other PC is not an Ubuntu system but rather Debian, upon which
      Ubuntu is based. However, Wine 0.9.59 is not yet available, so I
      cannot test on another platform. Someday, I do plan to put Ubuntu on
      this PC, but too many other irons in the fire.

      I suggest that those with the issue with Compiz consider uninstalling
      it, as a test to eliminate that as the source of the problem. If
      Compiz is the issue, then that is what the Wine dev team needs to
      know, if it is Ubuntu specific, then that is what they need to know.
      My hunch is that it is a Compiz issue.

      Those users that have the problem are best equipped to report a bug.
      Please do so and let us know the tracker number.
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 14 8:49 PM
        OK. I thought I'd give it another try. I did a complete uninstall,
        disabled Compiz, renamed my .wine directory and rebooted.

        Compiz was DOA as expected. I then installed 0.9.59, ran
        wineprefixcreate and then winecfg to create a new .wine directory. I
        then did a clean install of NoteTab Pro 5.50. (Maybe I should upgrade
        to 5.61? Please remind me how to do that.)

        This time the three icons top right were there. However, there still no
        indication that it was running in the panel. When I tried minimizing,
        it just disappeared totally and I had to kill the process.

        I again did a complete removal, reinstalled 0.9.58, reinstated my old
        .wine folder and everything is fine, even with Compiz running.

        It may take a day or two for me to collect my thoughts and submit a bug
        - still playing with the new box and rearranging the old ones.

        OT: Today I got around to nuking the XP partition that was DOA on the
        new hardware. I now have a Windoze-free box and it feels wonderful!!

        > I finally got Wine 0.9.59 installed.
        >
        > I followed my long standing practice of uninstalling the prior
        > version
        > of Wine, then installing the new version. I then ran
        > wineprefixcreate.
        >
        > I run Slackware 12.0, and do not run Compiz.
        >
        > For me, NoteTab Pro 5.61 runs fine, apart from the ongoing issue of
        > the cursor appearing to be above the line where it is, if you start
        > typing.
        >
        > My other PC is not an Ubuntu system but rather Debian, upon which
        > Ubuntu is based. However, Wine 0.9.59 is not yet available, so I
        > cannot test on another platform. Someday, I do plan to put Ubuntu on
        > this PC, but too many other irons in the fire.
        >
        > I suggest that those with the issue with Compiz consider uninstalling
        > it, as a test to eliminate that as the source of the problem. If
        > Compiz is the issue, then that is what the Wine dev team needs to
        > know, if it is Ubuntu specific, then that is what they need to know.
        > My hunch is that it is a Compiz issue.
        >
        > Those users that have the problem are best equipped to report a bug.
        > Please do so and let us know the tracker number.

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 15 8:58 AM
          Sister,

          I wonder if it is a window manager issue. I run XFCE
          on Slackware. Perhaps it is a Gnome issue? Perhaps try
          running a different window manager.

          Slackware does not come with Gnome out of the box, but
          I can try running KDE.

          To update NoteTab, just use the auto update option
          when you are online.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 15 9:06 AM
            I think you may be on to something suggesting Gnome as the culprit. I
            have an Xubuntu install on another box and when I get the time I'll
            download Wine and test.

            I actually got the download late last night (early morning) via the
            Help > Check for Updates link. Seems to have worked fine.

            --- Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

            > Sister,
            >
            > I wonder if it is a window manager issue. I run XFCE
            > on Slackware. Perhaps it is a Gnome issue? Perhaps try
            > running a different window manager.
            >
            > Slackware does not come with Gnome out of the box, but
            > I can try running KDE.
            >
            > To update NoteTab, just use the auto update option
            > when you are online.
            >
            > Larry
            >
            > --- sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:
            >
            > > OK. I thought I'd give it another try. I did a
            > > complete uninstall,
            > > disabled Compiz, renamed my .wine directory and
            > > rebooted.

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
          • Alan C
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 15 9:52 PM
              On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 8:58 AM, Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:
              [ . . ]

              Wine 0.9.59  works fine here (runs Notetab Pro 5.4) on Slack 12.0 using KDE desktop.

              http://www.winehq.org/site/download

              clicked on the Slackware link at there (reports for 10.2 but it works on this 12.0)

              Then all I did was uninstall older wine then install newer wine slackware package.

              Notetab Pro 5.4 works fine in said wine.  fonts are ever so slightly rough (useable though) but I think this is due to something (custom) I did in the past.  Ran a couple clips, worked alright.

              al@AB60R:/var/log/packages$ lsg wine
              wine-0.9.44-i486-1_AC

              root@AB60R:~# removepkg wine-0.9.44-i486-1_AC

              Removing package /var/log/packages/wine-0.9.44-i486-1_AC...

              root@AB60R:~# cd /home/al/install/pkgs_sw12
              root@AB60R:/home/al/install/pkgs_sw12# lsg wine
              wine-0.9.46-i486-1kjz.tgz
              wine-0.9.59-i486-1kjz.tgz
              root@AB60R:/home/al/install/pkgs_sw12# installpkg wine-0.9.59-i486-1kjz.tgz
              Installing package wine-0.9.59-i486-1kjz...

              al@AB60R:/var/log/packages$ wine winver

              (that reported 0.9.59)

              --
              Alan.