Re: wine-0.9.59 and Compiz

  • donaldhines
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14 10:14 AM
      > How should we approach this with the Wine folks? The thought of
      > Windows, even in virtualization, is distasteful to say the least.

      Greetings and Salutations!

      I'm having the same problems. MOST frustrating. And life is simply
      not worth living without BOTH NoteTab AND Ubuntu. :)

      So yes, how do we approach the Wine folks to figure out exactly what's
      wrong and how to fix it?
    • acummingsus
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 15 10:59 AM

        > I uninstalled, rolled back to wine-0.9.58 and removed the wine
        > repository for the moment.
        >
        > How should we approach this with the Wine folks? The thought of
        > Windows, even in virtualization, is distasteful to say the least.

        (No guarantee, but if I get some time, I'll try wine 0959 on my
        Slackware 12.0 with KDE desktop) (I've a rather older wine installed
        -- but I haven't even used wine for a rather long time due what's next
        -- I have a very reliable virtual machine (obviates the need for wine).

        (virt. mach. does need certain hardware requirements due the virt.
        mach. is some added overhead) -- IOW wine may be better unless you
        hardware meet said requirement for virt. mach.)

        I won't say anything about my learning curve so as to achieve the next
        with LAN and internet access (for, I found it distasteful as to my
        amount of effort needed for me to 1. sufficiently understand in order
        to 2. implement for the first time the next (Qemu/Win 2k) enclosed
        scenario.

        (but now, however, I am just nutso (rather fascinated with) virtual
        machines to the tune of I have a Intel dual core box that I'm yet to
        try the KVM and the Xen virtual machines (both of those need/use the
        integrated hardware support of said dual core cpu) and the free Vmware
        Server).
        --

        (note: Win 2K is one of the fastest running Win in Qemu. Win 95 is
        the other of the 2 fastest in Qemu. Win 98, Win ME,and Win XP are the

        I've been running Windows 2000 in Qemu (virtualized hardware) for well
        over a year without any problems. My host operating system has always
        been the Slackware Linux distribution.

        My (real, actual physical) hardware is a pentium 4 2.8 GHZ Intel
        Northwood cpu with 4 gigabytes of DDR ram, an ultra 160 scsi hard
        drive, an (old) Matrox G450 AGP video adapter with 32 megs of video ram.

        I've been using Slackware 12.0 since it was first released. The
        latest Qemu using the kqemu accelerator. Works totally reasonably,
        totally useable with Win 2K SP4 runs inside Qemu. Notetab always
        works just fine. I've LAN and internet access with both the host and
        the guest (Win 2K) OS's. Using Qemu's Samba feature/option I also
        have file sharing back and forth between my host and my guest
        operating systems.

        It's been so steady and reliable that I almost couldn't break it if I
        tried. So, guess what -- I *just keep using it* over and over and
        over again.

        I've been on Linux for near 7 years now. So I don't always fire up
        Qemu/Win 2K (I do lots my work with Linux). I just use the KDE
        desktop in Slackware 12.0

        I have an icon on my mentioned KDE desktop. It's an icon of a penguin
        given if this penguin were Batman. IOW, a penguin'ized (not human)
        version of Batman.

        Such icon is also a shortcut (called desktop launcher in Linux) it
        launches my Qemu/Windows 2000 (might as well have fun).

        What else is it if it's not a batpenguin when launch a 2nd operating
        system (run two different operating systems simultaneously on *one
        real hardware* box?

        Never mind the dual boot. No need to boot in and out. Just run both
        (or three or four) all at once.

        PS yep I been running Debian Etch on another (not my primary) box.
        Slack is what I run but Debian has been around for a long time. A
        little multi distro familiarity. Both let me learn Linux though
        Slackware lets me learn linux/unix even more so than what Debian does.

        It's a way, the Linux/Unix way.

        --
        Alan.