This list may be getting some press so start posting!!

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 21, 2007
      Some pretty exciting news . . .

      I posted the birth of this new list to the local LUG list. One of the
      members is journalist Joe Barr who writes for SourceFourge and
      Linux.com etc. I was especially interested in Joe's comments about his
      editor using NoteTab in Wine. Would be nice if he decides to join in
      our discussions. Here's how it went down:

      From: Sister Says
      Date: Sep 21, 2007 2:38 PM
      Subject: New NoteTab - Linux list

      A few days ago, I gave another try at getting NoteTab to play nice in
      Wine. Some things work. Some don't. It was pretty frustrating.

      I was whining over on the NoteTab list (there are several Linux users
      over there) and TPTB decided there was enough interest to start a new
      NoteTab list dedicated to getting it to work on OS other than Windows.
      This is very exciting news as even though Screem works pretty well,
      it does not have all the functions that I occasionally use.

      I'm hoping that the gathering of minds on that list will manage to
      work out a lot of the bugs. And who knows . . . if there is enough
      interest, Eric might decide to code a Unix version!

      I know that there are several people on this list who have used
      NoteTab so I thought this list might be of interest to them. You can
      find it here:

      *******************

      From: Joe Barr
      Date: Sep 21, 2007 4:01 PM

      Thanks for the suggestion. One of our editors says that he has used
      NoteTab in Wine without problems, so I am guessing Sister may be
      putting
      more tests to NoteTab than he does. Maybe if she can describe the
      problems she is having, we can sort it out and do a story on the
      effort.

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 21, 2007
        Sisterscape,

        I read Joe Barr all the time and get lots of helpful tips from him.

        This is a little bigger start than I had in mind, but if it gets
        NoteTab the attention it deserves, then all the better.

        Maybe some more proficient in the Wine side of things can shed some
        light on the messages we get behind the scenes from Wine.

        I'll post the announcement on the NoteTab Basic list, now that this is
        out there on a big Linux list.

        Thanks for the press!

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 21, 2007

          > Sisterscape,
          >
          > I read Joe Barr all the time and get lots of helpful tips from him.
          >
          > This is a little bigger start than I had in mind, but if it gets
          > NoteTab the attention it deserves, then all the better.
          >
          > Maybe some more proficient in the Wine side of things can shed some
          > light on the messages we get behind the scenes from Wine.
          >
          > I'll post the announcement on the NoteTab Basic list, now that this
          > is
          > out there on a big Linux list.
          >
          > Thanks for the press!
          >
          > Larry

          Well, I wasn't expecting this turn of events when I posted the
          invitation. I just wanted to let the local folks know about the new
          list in order to get as much input as possible.

          We're just so lucky to have Joe (and lots of other very talented
          people) active in the group. I'm hoping some of them will join on this
          list. But just in case they don't (not much sympathy for anything
          associated with Windoze plus lots of top notch sys admins who do most
          everything in CLI), I'll also be posting over there and repost any
          relevant info back over here.

          Earlier this evening I tried updating a site in NoteTab/Wine and made a
          long list of operations that weren't working properly. I'll post them
          a bit later.

          Wow! Talk about starting off with a bang!!

          Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 21, 2007
            <snip>
            > Well, I wasn't expecting this turn of events when I posted the
            > invitation. I just wanted to let the local folks know about the new
            > list in order to get as much input as possible.

            I believe that's the Dallas, TX LUG, right? It is one of the bigger
            ones, and has several influential members of the Linux community.

            > We're just so lucky to have Joe (and lots of other very talented
            > people) active in the group. I'm hoping some of them will join on this
            > list. But just in case they don't (not much sympathy for anything
            > associated with Windoze plus lots of top notch sys admins who do most
            > everything in CLI), I'll also be posting over there and repost any
            > relevant info back over here.

            Good idea!

            > Earlier this evening I tried updating a site in NoteTab/Wine and made a
            > long list of operations that weren't working properly. I'll post them
            > a bit later.

            Great! Be sure and use the threads I set up for solutions/workarounds,
            or known issues, as appropriate. I want to use these threads for
            building a FAQ to help others. Such information will also help get
            things done for Wine to play nicer with NoteTab on WineHQ.

            > Wow! Talk about starting off with a bang!!

            I'm showing my age, here. A bit of the theme song to a TV show I loved
            as a little kid, "F Troop", came to mind. "With a bang and a boom!" ;-)

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 21, 2007

              > I believe that's the Dallas, TX LUG, right? It is one of the bigger
              > ones, and has several influential members of the Linux community.

              Dallas? OMG,no!!! Try Austin. ;)

              > Be sure and use the threads I set up for
              > solutions/workarounds,
              > or known issues, as appropriate.

              I just posted a long list!

              > I want to use these threads for
              > building a FAQ to help others. Such information will also help get
              > things done for Wine to play nicer with NoteTab on WineHQ.

              This is going to be a great project!!

              > I'm showing my age, here. A bit of the theme song to a TV show I
              > loved
              > as a little kid, "F Troop", came to mind. "With a bang and a boom!"
              > ;-)

              "F Troop"? Nah! Try Howdy Doody and The Lone Ranger . . . LOL!!!!

              Need a vacation? Get great deals
              to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
              http://travel.yahoo.com/
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 21, 2007

                > --- lm_hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:
                >

                > > I believe that's the Dallas, TX LUG, right? It is
                > one of the bigger
                > > ones, and has several influential members of the
                > Linux community.
                > >

                > Dallas? OMG,no!!! Try Austin. ;)

                It's late and I'm going from memory. At least I had a
                city in Texas. ;-)

                > > Be sure and use the threads I set up for
                > > solutions/workarounds,
                > > or known issues, as appropriate.
                >
                > I just posted a long list!

                Yup! I was able to duplicate a couple of things. See
                my reply to that post.

                > This is going to be a great project!!

                Of course!

                > "F Troop"? Nah! Try Howdy Doody and The Lone Ranger
                > . . . LOL!!!!

                I grew up on re-runs of the Lone Ranger.

                When my Mom was sick in the hospital before she died,
                the doctor about her same age could not believe she
                did not grow up with Howdy Doody, when he made some
                reference from the show. She grew up in southeaster
                Colorado. TV stations were too far away to make a TV
                more than a fancy table. ;-)

                My kids look at me like I'm from Mars when I reference
                a common thing from old TV shows. My 15 year old is
                into 80's music, back from my high school and college
                days. He's more into heavy metal, which I wasn't and
                still am not into. It reminds me of when I still had
                hair. ;-)

                http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html