Re: [ntb-linux] Re: [wine] Unresolved Issues of NoteTab on Wine

  • Donguitar
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
      > > The other option is to get NoteTab Pro. ;-)

      Hello everyone, this is my first post.

      I started with NoteTab Light years ago. When I started paying for my web
      host I bought NoteTab Pro and hated it. The main difference is in the
      fonts, it was over a year ago and I only used it for a week so the details
      are fuzzy but it didn't look or feel right so I went back to NoteTab Light.
      Later, to show support, I bought two copies of NoteTab Standard (one for me,
      one for my wife) and I do use it on rare occasions, mainly for its spell
      checking capability, but I still do all my editing and writing in NoteTab
      Light. I'll grant that this may only be true of me, but NoteTab Pro is not
      an option. I'd rather stick with gedit. I'll settle, if I must, for
      NoteTab Standard in Wine but what I WANT is NoteTab Light on my Linux
      machine. I don't care how it gets done and I don't, in the least, mind
      paying for it.

      That's my $.02

      Don Crowder
      http://www.don-guitar.com
      http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/eldergeek/
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
        Hi Don and welcome! Nice to see that you decided to join us over here.
        I'm hoping that discussions on this list will solve a lot of the
        problems we're having.

        FWIW, I tried the trail version of NTPro a while back and didn't care
        for it much either.

        I understand that Light and Standard basically use the same modules(?)
        so if Light won't work, chances are that Standard won't either. (Larry,
        please correct me if I'm wrong about that.)

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007

          <snip>
          > FWIW, I tried the trail version of NTPro a while back and didn't
          > care for it much either.

          The difference in the fonts is intentional. It is a matter of taste,
          and functionality needed. I write and modify a lot of clips, so I
          really need the syntax highlighting. I also like the syntax
          highlighting for working with HTML.

          > I understand that Light and Standard basically use the same
          > modules(?) so if Light won't work, chances are that Standard won't
          > either. (Larry, please correct me if I'm wrong about that.)

          Yes, Light and Standard use the same input control, i.e. the part that
          handles the document tabs, and typing, etc. This control is highly
          dependent upon a single Windows dll.

          I did a search of the NoteTab Yahoo Group and found that riched32.dll
          is the file in question.

          Here are 28 messages related to this dll and how Light and Standard
          are affected. Jody handled a lot of issues with this over the years.

          Here is an explanation of riched32.dll I found via Google.

          http://www.auditmypc.com/process/riched32.asp

          This dll is used by Wordpad, Calc, and several other Windows utilities.

          Since Wine has its own Wordpad, they either address it in their dll,
          or do not use that dll.

          I know that most users that had a problem with Light or Standard,
          related to this dll, were Win9x, (95/98/ME).

          Because of this, it may be that using the Win98 dll and using
          Light/Standard in Wine's Win98 mode will solve the issue.

          dll-files.com has the riched32.dll available for download. I do not
          know which version of Windows it is. I have an old laptop with Win98
          that is too feeble for Linux, very low RAM and very slow CPU. I'll
          grab the dll and see if it helps.

          I can see what WineHQ suggests for trying to use a Windows dll.

          If this does not work, then we will have to wait for the Wine
          developers to address whatever the issue is. If this is the case, we
          can add NoteTab to the AppDB and make a detailed report. This should
          help get some resolution.

          If anyone else tries one of these things and it works, please let me know.

          Well, I've narrowed it down to one dll, so at least we have a better
          focus for our efforts.

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
            --- Donguitar <donguitar@...> wrote:
            <snip>
            > I'll grant that this may only be true of me,
            > but NoteTab Pro is not an option. I'd rather stick
            > with gedit. I'll settle, if I must, for
            > NoteTab Standard in Wine but what I WANT is NoteTab
            > Light on my Linux machine. I don't care how it gets

            > done and I don't, in the least, mind paying for it.
            >
            > That's my $.02
            >
            > Don Crowder

            Don,

            It may be that those who really want Light/Standard to
            work in Wine, would want to contribute to get a
            developer to address the issues that prevent correct
            functioning of Light/Std on Wine.

            I do not know if WineHQ has donations for this sort of
            thing, I will be checking. But Wine is hosted on
            SourceForge, and SourceForge does have a program to
            pay for desired improvements.

            If you had the horsepower, i.e. CPU and RAM on your
            PC, you could use virtualisation, such as with Qemu,
            and Win98 or 2k or XP to get NoteTab working. This way
            you are in Linux, and run Windows on Linux in a
            virtual setting.

            I have run Win98 via Qemu and it runs about as well as
            Win98 on a PC with 64 MB RAM. Slow, but eventually
            gets the job done. For most users, this will be more
            than they care to bother with, but is the only other
            option, besides figuring out how to get the
            riched32.dll working in Wine, or waiting for the Wine
            developers to fix it.

            I understand your perspective, just trying to lay out
            all the options that I am aware of to get Light
            working ASAP.

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
              --- Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

              > It may be that those who really want Light/Standard to
              > work in Wine, would want to contribute to get a
              > developer to address the issues that prevent correct
              > functioning of Light/Std on Wine.
              >
              > I do not know if WineHQ has donations for this sort of
              > thing, I will be checking. But Wine is hosted on
              > SourceForge, and SourceForge does have a program to
              > pay for desired improvements.

              I'd also be willing to contribute towards getting this done (I'd rather
              it be going to Eric though). What kind of $$$ are we talking about
              here?

              As to virtualization . . . it's hardly worth it when XP is only a
              reboot away.

              BTW, I did set the wineconf to Win98 and it didn't help.

              I just now updated to the latest version of Wine via Synaptic and
              inclusion of the repository on my list so it should stay current.

              http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 23, 2007

                > 3. Adding fonts to the .fonts folder in the home/user directory
                > screws
                > up the fonts in the NoteTab. I had to rename the .fonts folder to
                > get
                > the fonts in NoteTab readable.

                The fix for this problem is to add a few fonts to the Windoze fonts
                folder. I opted for the basics - Arial, Courier, Georgia and Verdana.
                Once these were added, NoteTab displayed correctly and I was able to
                reinstate the home/user/.fonts directory.

                http://tv.yahoo.com/