Re: [ntb-linux] Re: wine-0.9.59 and Compiz

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
      I uninstalled, rolled back to wine-0.9.58 and removed the wine
      repository for the moment.

      How should we approach this with the Wine folks? The thought of
      Windows, even in virtualization, is distasteful to say the least.

      > Sorry, I had not checked WineHQ.org in about two weeks.
      >
      > I see the the Slackware package is available, which it had not been
      > as
      > of a couple days ago.
      >
      > I do not have time to test before going to work. Hopefully tonight.
      >
      > I also saw a NoteTab Off Topic posting on the same issue.
      >
      > My Ubuntu box does not have the oomph to run Compiz, so I can see if
      > it works better for me on that box too.
      >
      > Hopefully, I can get to this tonight after work.
      >
      > Larry Hamilton
      >
      > --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@...>
      > wrote:
      > <snip>
      > > I'm having a lot of fun with Compiz and rotating desktop cubes etc.
      > :)
      > >
      > > Anyhoo . . . finally got around to updating Wine to wine-0.9.59.
      > Up
      > > top on the application bar there was only an option to close, no
      > icons
      > > to minimize or maximize. These options were also grayed out on
      > right
      > > click. There was also no presence on the panel to show that it had
      > > loaded and so unable to maximize or minimize from there. This
      > makes it
      > > totally unusable. Photoshop did not have this glitch.
      > >
      > > Part of the problem might be Compiz but I have a suspicion that it
      > is
      > > related to the 'empty frame' thing that has been happening for some
      > > time.
      > >
      > > Anybody else given wine-0.9.59 a spin?
      > >
      > > Sister

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • donaldhines
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
        > How should we approach this with the Wine folks? The thought of
        > Windows, even in virtualization, is distasteful to say the least.

        Greetings and Salutations!

        I'm having the same problems. MOST frustrating. And life is simply
        not worth living without BOTH NoteTab AND Ubuntu. :)

        So yes, how do we approach the Wine folks to figure out exactly what's
        wrong and how to fix it?
      • acummingsus
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008

          > I uninstalled, rolled back to wine-0.9.58 and removed the wine
          > repository for the moment.
          >
          > How should we approach this with the Wine folks? The thought of
          > Windows, even in virtualization, is distasteful to say the least.

          (No guarantee, but if I get some time, I'll try wine 0959 on my
          Slackware 12.0 with KDE desktop) (I've a rather older wine installed
          -- but I haven't even used wine for a rather long time due what's next
          -- I have a very reliable virtual machine (obviates the need for wine).

          (virt. mach. does need certain hardware requirements due the virt.
          mach. is some added overhead) -- IOW wine may be better unless you
          hardware meet said requirement for virt. mach.)

          I won't say anything about my learning curve so as to achieve the next
          with LAN and internet access (for, I found it distasteful as to my
          amount of effort needed for me to 1. sufficiently understand in order
          to 2. implement for the first time the next (Qemu/Win 2k) enclosed
          scenario.

          (but now, however, I am just nutso (rather fascinated with) virtual
          machines to the tune of I have a Intel dual core box that I'm yet to
          try the KVM and the Xen virtual machines (both of those need/use the
          integrated hardware support of said dual core cpu) and the free Vmware
          Server).
          --

          (note: Win 2K is one of the fastest running Win in Qemu. Win 95 is
          the other of the 2 fastest in Qemu. Win 98, Win ME,and Win XP are the

          I've been running Windows 2000 in Qemu (virtualized hardware) for well
          over a year without any problems. My host operating system has always
          been the Slackware Linux distribution.

          My (real, actual physical) hardware is a pentium 4 2.8 GHZ Intel
          Northwood cpu with 4 gigabytes of DDR ram, an ultra 160 scsi hard
          drive, an (old) Matrox G450 AGP video adapter with 32 megs of video ram.

          I've been using Slackware 12.0 since it was first released. The
          latest Qemu using the kqemu accelerator. Works totally reasonably,
          totally useable with Win 2K SP4 runs inside Qemu. Notetab always
          works just fine. I've LAN and internet access with both the host and
          the guest (Win 2K) OS's. Using Qemu's Samba feature/option I also
          have file sharing back and forth between my host and my guest
          operating systems.

          It's been so steady and reliable that I almost couldn't break it if I
          tried. So, guess what -- I *just keep using it* over and over and
          over again.

          I've been on Linux for near 7 years now. So I don't always fire up
          Qemu/Win 2K (I do lots my work with Linux). I just use the KDE
          desktop in Slackware 12.0

          I have an icon on my mentioned KDE desktop. It's an icon of a penguin
          given if this penguin were Batman. IOW, a penguin'ized (not human)
          version of Batman.

          Such icon is also a shortcut (called desktop launcher in Linux) it
          launches my Qemu/Windows 2000 (might as well have fun).

          What else is it if it's not a batpenguin when launch a 2nd operating
          system (run two different operating systems simultaneously on *one
          real hardware* box?

          Never mind the dual boot. No need to boot in and out. Just run both
          (or three or four) all at once.

          PS yep I been running Debian Etch on another (not my primary) box.
          Slack is what I run but Debian has been around for a long time. A
          little multi distro familiarity. Both let me learn Linux though
          Slackware lets me learn linux/unix even more so than what Debian does.

          It's a way, the Linux/Unix way.

          --
          Alan.