wine-0.9.59 and Compiz

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13, 2008
      Howdy all . . .

      Lot's of news here. Put together a new box last week. Here are the
      specs:

      Antec NSK4480 Black Mid Tower Case
      Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Socket 775 Motherboard
      Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6750 - BX80557E6750 - Box CPU - Socket LGA775
      EVGA 8400GS Video Card (PCI-Express, 512MB)
      KINGSTON DDR2 2GB PC5300 DUAL (667 MHz)

      And from the old box:

      2 - 250GB WD Sata drives
      Pioneer DVD_RW DVR-112D
      USRobotics 5610C modem

      Didn't even reinstall Ubuntu. Just popped the hard drive in and it
      recognized everything pretty well (new graphics card needed a little
      fiddling). Of course the XP partition is DOA. I'm going to delete it
      and do something else with that space.

      I'm having a lot of fun with Compiz and rotating desktop cubes etc. :)

      Anyhoo . . . finally got around to updating Wine to wine-0.9.59. Up
      top on the application bar there was only an option to close, no icons
      to minimize or maximize. These options were also grayed out on right
      click. There was also no presence on the panel to show that it had
      loaded and so unable to maximize or minimize from there. This makes it
      totally unusable. Photoshop did not have this glitch.

      Part of the problem might be Compiz but I have a suspicion that it is
      related to the 'empty frame' thing that has been happening for some
      time.

      Anybody else given wine-0.9.59 a spin?

      Sister

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
        Sorry, I had not checked WineHQ.org in about two weeks.

        I see the the Slackware package is available, which it had not been as
        of a couple days ago.

        I do not have time to test before going to work. Hopefully tonight.

        I also saw a NoteTab Off Topic posting on the same issue.

        My Ubuntu box does not have the oomph to run Compiz, so I can see if
        it works better for me on that box too.

        Hopefully, I can get to this tonight after work.

        <snip>
        > I'm having a lot of fun with Compiz and rotating desktop cubes etc. :)
        >
        > Anyhoo . . . finally got around to updating Wine to wine-0.9.59. Up
        > top on the application bar there was only an option to close, no icons
        > to minimize or maximize. These options were also grayed out on right
        > click. There was also no presence on the panel to show that it had
        > loaded and so unable to maximize or minimize from there. This makes it
        > totally unusable. Photoshop did not have this glitch.
        >
        > Part of the problem might be Compiz but I have a suspicion that it is
        > related to the 'empty frame' thing that has been happening for some
        > time.
        >
        > Anybody else given wine-0.9.59 a spin?
        >
        > Sister
      • eric_fookes
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
          Hi Sister,

          I suspect these issues affect any application that was compiled with
          Borland Delphi. I very much doubt that NoteTab is the only
          application affected.

          Unlike programs created with other compilers, Delphi programs use an
          invisible application window and a main application form that is the
          visible part of the program. The Wine developers need to take this
          special approach into account if they want their product to work
          correctly with all Delphi applications.

          Regards,
          Eric Fookes

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
            I uninstalled, rolled back to wine-0.9.58 and removed the wine
            repository for the moment.

            How should we approach this with the Wine folks? The thought of
            Windows, even in virtualization, is distasteful to say the least.

            > Sorry, I had not checked WineHQ.org in about two weeks.
            >
            > I see the the Slackware package is available, which it had not been
            > as
            > of a couple days ago.
            >
            > I do not have time to test before going to work. Hopefully tonight.
            >
            > I also saw a NoteTab Off Topic posting on the same issue.
            >
            > My Ubuntu box does not have the oomph to run Compiz, so I can see if
            > it works better for me on that box too.
            >
            > Hopefully, I can get to this tonight after work.
            >
            > Larry Hamilton
            >
            > --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@...>
            > wrote:
            > <snip>
            > > I'm having a lot of fun with Compiz and rotating desktop cubes etc.
            > :)
            > >
            > > Anyhoo . . . finally got around to updating Wine to wine-0.9.59.
            > Up
            > > top on the application bar there was only an option to close, no
            > icons
            > > to minimize or maximize. These options were also grayed out on
            > right
            > > click. There was also no presence on the panel to show that it had
            > > loaded and so unable to maximize or minimize from there. This
            > makes it
            > > totally unusable. Photoshop did not have this glitch.
            > >
            > > Part of the problem might be Compiz but I have a suspicion that it
            > is
            > > related to the 'empty frame' thing that has been happening for some
            > > time.
            > >
            > > Anybody else given wine-0.9.59 a spin?
            > >
            > > Sister

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
          • donaldhines
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
              > How should we approach this with the Wine folks? The thought of
              > Windows, even in virtualization, is distasteful to say the least.

              Greetings and Salutations!

              I'm having the same problems. MOST frustrating. And life is simply
              not worth living without BOTH NoteTab AND Ubuntu. :)

              So yes, how do we approach the Wine folks to figure out exactly what's
              wrong and how to fix it?
            • acummingsus
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008

                > I uninstalled, rolled back to wine-0.9.58 and removed the wine
                > repository for the moment.
                >
                > How should we approach this with the Wine folks? The thought of
                > Windows, even in virtualization, is distasteful to say the least.

                (No guarantee, but if I get some time, I'll try wine 0959 on my
                Slackware 12.0 with KDE desktop) (I've a rather older wine installed
                -- but I haven't even used wine for a rather long time due what's next
                -- I have a very reliable virtual machine (obviates the need for wine).

                (virt. mach. does need certain hardware requirements due the virt.
                mach. is some added overhead) -- IOW wine may be better unless you
                hardware meet said requirement for virt. mach.)

                I won't say anything about my learning curve so as to achieve the next
                with LAN and internet access (for, I found it distasteful as to my
                amount of effort needed for me to 1. sufficiently understand in order
                to 2. implement for the first time the next (Qemu/Win 2k) enclosed
                scenario.

                (but now, however, I am just nutso (rather fascinated with) virtual
                machines to the tune of I have a Intel dual core box that I'm yet to
                try the KVM and the Xen virtual machines (both of those need/use the
                integrated hardware support of said dual core cpu) and the free Vmware
                Server).
                --

                (note: Win 2K is one of the fastest running Win in Qemu. Win 95 is
                the other of the 2 fastest in Qemu. Win 98, Win ME,and Win XP are the

                I've been running Windows 2000 in Qemu (virtualized hardware) for well
                over a year without any problems. My host operating system has always
                been the Slackware Linux distribution.

                My (real, actual physical) hardware is a pentium 4 2.8 GHZ Intel
                Northwood cpu with 4 gigabytes of DDR ram, an ultra 160 scsi hard
                drive, an (old) Matrox G450 AGP video adapter with 32 megs of video ram.

                I've been using Slackware 12.0 since it was first released. The
                latest Qemu using the kqemu accelerator. Works totally reasonably,
                totally useable with Win 2K SP4 runs inside Qemu. Notetab always
                works just fine. I've LAN and internet access with both the host and
                the guest (Win 2K) OS's. Using Qemu's Samba feature/option I also
                have file sharing back and forth between my host and my guest
                operating systems.

                It's been so steady and reliable that I almost couldn't break it if I
                tried. So, guess what -- I *just keep using it* over and over and
                over again.

                I've been on Linux for near 7 years now. So I don't always fire up
                Qemu/Win 2K (I do lots my work with Linux). I just use the KDE
                desktop in Slackware 12.0

                I have an icon on my mentioned KDE desktop. It's an icon of a penguin
                given if this penguin were Batman. IOW, a penguin'ized (not human)
                version of Batman.

                Such icon is also a shortcut (called desktop launcher in Linux) it
                launches my Qemu/Windows 2000 (might as well have fun).

                What else is it if it's not a batpenguin when launch a 2nd operating
                system (run two different operating systems simultaneously on *one
                real hardware* box?

                Never mind the dual boot. No need to boot in and out. Just run both
                (or three or four) all at once.

                PS yep I been running Debian Etch on another (not my primary) box.
                Slack is what I run but Debian has been around for a long time. A
                little multi distro familiarity. Both let me learn Linux though
                Slackware lets me learn linux/unix even more so than what Debian does.

                It's a way, the Linux/Unix way.

                --
                Alan.