Re: [wine] Unresolved Issues of NoteTab on Wine

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 21, 2007
      --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

      > --- sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:
      There is one configuration thing I thought of. I had to put this out
      there before I could let this go and get some sleep.

      Using winecfg, you can specify on the Applications tab, what version
      of Windows to mimic.

      Highlight the program, or add it to the list so it can be highlighted,
      then specify the version of Windows to use for that program. There is
      a drop down on the lower right-hand corner of the screen on the
      Applications tab.

      The default is Windows 2000, but Win98 is pretty solid. Windows 2000
      emulation is near native in the last year or so.

      I tried changing it to Win98, and it did not make any difference.

      I then tried specifically tweaking how NoteTab Light uses riched20.dll
      and riched32.dll. Still no joy.

      I think this is one case where using an actual Windows dll will make
      the difference. If you copy the one from WinXP, you will want to set
      the application to act like Win2K or WinXP. Win2K may work better.

      I'll try it on my system later this weekend.

      The other option is to get NoteTab Pro. ;-)

      Larry Hamitlon
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
        --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, "lm_hamilton" <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

        > --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- sisterscape <sisterscape@> wrote:
        > There is one configuration thing I thought of. I had to put this out
        > there before I could let this go and get some sleep.
        >
        > Using winecfg, you can specify on the Applications tab, what version
        > of Windows to mimic.
        >
        > Highlight the program, or add it to the list so it can be highlighted,
        > then specify the version of Windows to use for that program. There is
        > a drop down on the lower right-hand corner of the screen on the
        > Applications tab.
        >
        > The default is Windows 2000, but Win98 is pretty solid. Windows 2000
        > emulation is near native in the last year or so.
        >
        > I tried changing it to Win98, and it did not make any difference.
        >
        > I then tried specifically tweaking how NoteTab Light uses riched20.dll
        > and riched32.dll. Still no joy.
        >
        > I think this is one case where using an actual Windows dll will make
        > the difference. If you copy the one from WinXP, you will want to set
        > the application to act like Win2K or WinXP. Win2K may work better.
        >
        > I'll try it on my system later this weekend.
        >
        > The other option is to get NoteTab Pro. ;-)
        >
        > Larry Hamitlon

        I kept the above to keep all this information together.

        I copied the riched20.dll and riched32.dll from WinXP's
        Windows\System32 directory and put it in my
        .wine/drive_c/windows/system32 directory. The Wine dlls are only 2KB,
        the WinXP dlls are about 200KB each. This gives you a clue to the
        functionality missing from the Wine dlls. Wine's dlls are enough to
        allow the text to display.

        I found that NoteTab Light would not display text in the editor window
        using the WinXP dlls no matter what I changed in winecfg.

        I suspect putting them in the NoteTab directory may help, but I have
        to go across the county to move some furniture, so I have to go before
        the wife hurts me... ;-)

        Larry
      • Donguitar
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
          > > The other option is to get NoteTab Pro. ;-)

          Hello everyone, this is my first post.

          I started with NoteTab Light years ago. When I started paying for my web
          host I bought NoteTab Pro and hated it. The main difference is in the
          fonts, it was over a year ago and I only used it for a week so the details
          are fuzzy but it didn't look or feel right so I went back to NoteTab Light.
          Later, to show support, I bought two copies of NoteTab Standard (one for me,
          one for my wife) and I do use it on rare occasions, mainly for its spell
          checking capability, but I still do all my editing and writing in NoteTab
          Light. I'll grant that this may only be true of me, but NoteTab Pro is not
          an option. I'd rather stick with gedit. I'll settle, if I must, for
          NoteTab Standard in Wine but what I WANT is NoteTab Light on my Linux
          machine. I don't care how it gets done and I don't, in the least, mind
          paying for it.

          That's my $.02

          Don Crowder
          http://www.don-guitar.com
          http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/eldergeek/
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
            Hi Don and welcome! Nice to see that you decided to join us over here.
            I'm hoping that discussions on this list will solve a lot of the
            problems we're having.

            FWIW, I tried the trail version of NTPro a while back and didn't care
            for it much either.

            I understand that Light and Standard basically use the same modules(?)
            so if Light won't work, chances are that Standard won't either. (Larry,
            please correct me if I'm wrong about that.)

            http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007

              <snip>
              > FWIW, I tried the trail version of NTPro a while back and didn't
              > care for it much either.

              The difference in the fonts is intentional. It is a matter of taste,
              and functionality needed. I write and modify a lot of clips, so I
              really need the syntax highlighting. I also like the syntax
              highlighting for working with HTML.

              > I understand that Light and Standard basically use the same
              > modules(?) so if Light won't work, chances are that Standard won't
              > either. (Larry, please correct me if I'm wrong about that.)

              Yes, Light and Standard use the same input control, i.e. the part that
              handles the document tabs, and typing, etc. This control is highly
              dependent upon a single Windows dll.

              I did a search of the NoteTab Yahoo Group and found that riched32.dll
              is the file in question.

              Here are 28 messages related to this dll and how Light and Standard
              are affected. Jody handled a lot of issues with this over the years.

              Here is an explanation of riched32.dll I found via Google.

              http://www.auditmypc.com/process/riched32.asp

              This dll is used by Wordpad, Calc, and several other Windows utilities.

              Since Wine has its own Wordpad, they either address it in their dll,
              or do not use that dll.

              I know that most users that had a problem with Light or Standard,
              related to this dll, were Win9x, (95/98/ME).

              Because of this, it may be that using the Win98 dll and using
              Light/Standard in Wine's Win98 mode will solve the issue.

              dll-files.com has the riched32.dll available for download. I do not
              know which version of Windows it is. I have an old laptop with Win98
              that is too feeble for Linux, very low RAM and very slow CPU. I'll
              grab the dll and see if it helps.

              I can see what WineHQ suggests for trying to use a Windows dll.

              If this does not work, then we will have to wait for the Wine
              developers to address whatever the issue is. If this is the case, we
              can add NoteTab to the AppDB and make a detailed report. This should
              help get some resolution.

              If anyone else tries one of these things and it works, please let me know.

              Well, I've narrowed it down to one dll, so at least we have a better
              focus for our efforts.

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
                --- Donguitar <donguitar@...> wrote:
                <snip>
                > I'll grant that this may only be true of me,
                > but NoteTab Pro is not an option. I'd rather stick
                > with gedit. I'll settle, if I must, for
                > NoteTab Standard in Wine but what I WANT is NoteTab
                > Light on my Linux machine. I don't care how it gets

                > done and I don't, in the least, mind paying for it.
                >
                > That's my $.02
                >
                > Don Crowder

                Don,

                It may be that those who really want Light/Standard to
                work in Wine, would want to contribute to get a
                developer to address the issues that prevent correct
                functioning of Light/Std on Wine.

                I do not know if WineHQ has donations for this sort of
                thing, I will be checking. But Wine is hosted on
                SourceForge, and SourceForge does have a program to
                pay for desired improvements.

                If you had the horsepower, i.e. CPU and RAM on your
                PC, you could use virtualisation, such as with Qemu,
                and Win98 or 2k or XP to get NoteTab working. This way
                you are in Linux, and run Windows on Linux in a
                virtual setting.

                I have run Win98 via Qemu and it runs about as well as
                Win98 on a PC with 64 MB RAM. Slow, but eventually
                gets the job done. For most users, this will be more
                than they care to bother with, but is the only other
                option, besides figuring out how to get the
                riched32.dll working in Wine, or waiting for the Wine
                developers to fix it.

                I understand your perspective, just trying to lay out
                all the options that I am aware of to get Light
                working ASAP.

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
                  --- Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

                  > It may be that those who really want Light/Standard to
                  > work in Wine, would want to contribute to get a
                  > developer to address the issues that prevent correct
                  > functioning of Light/Std on Wine.
                  >
                  > I do not know if WineHQ has donations for this sort of
                  > thing, I will be checking. But Wine is hosted on
                  > SourceForge, and SourceForge does have a program to
                  > pay for desired improvements.

                  I'd also be willing to contribute towards getting this done (I'd rather
                  it be going to Eric though). What kind of $$$ are we talking about
                  here?

                  As to virtualization . . . it's hardly worth it when XP is only a
                  reboot away.

                  BTW, I did set the wineconf to Win98 and it didn't help.

                  I just now updated to the latest version of Wine via Synaptic and
                  inclusion of the repository on my list so it should stay current.

                  http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 23, 2007

                    > 3. Adding fonts to the .fonts folder in the home/user directory
                    > screws
                    > up the fonts in the NoteTab. I had to rename the .fonts folder to
                    > get
                    > the fonts in NoteTab readable.

                    The fix for this problem is to add a few fonts to the Windoze fonts
                    folder. I opted for the basics - Arial, Courier, Georgia and Verdana.
                    Once these were added, NoteTab displayed correctly and I was able to
                    reinstate the home/user/.fonts directory.

                    http://tv.yahoo.com/