Re: [ntb-linux] A 'Virtual' Solution?

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2008
      I have Fedora 8, Gutsy and Xubuntu running in Virtual Box. I once
      loaded Win 98SE but there was a glitch with screen resolution and color
      adjustment that was more trouble than it was worth to figure out how to
      fix (if it was even possible).

      Remember that if you run XP in VB, you'll need a separate license
      (otherwise the nags will drive you nuts and eventually it will shut
      down). I would consider it if my video editing program would work but
      VB doesn't support DirectX (and is not likely to in the near future).

      Speaking of video editing [OT] . . .

      I have finally managed to edit MPEGs and burn a DVD on Linux that plays
      on my TV!

      I have currently settled on Avidemux as the most user friendly editor.
      It allows me to edit MPEGs and save them to a DVD friendly MPG format.
      DVDStyler has a fairly intuitive a GUI that allowed me to create a menu
      - http://www.eartherdesigns.com/ss/menu.jpg - and burn an ISO. As I
      said, it even plays on my TV! And I found two Linux players that can
      handle ISOs and menus - Ogle and VLC! VLC is my fav.

      Good news is there doesn't seen to be a problem with audio sync - that
      was previously a BIG headache with Roxio on XP. Also there was no
      problem with overheating when saving/encoding the edited file or
      creating the ISO. Overheating was also a problem when encoding in XP.

      I was also able to get FIVE 22-24 min episodes of my favorite exercise
      show on one DVD with MB to spare!! This is much more efficient than the
      DVDs I created with Roxio - I could only get three episodes on a disk
      (120 minute limit and every kb used).

      I've been trying to install Open Movie Editor on Feisty but have gotten
      stuck at compiling one of the dependencies. OME looks like a more
      complete and robust editor than Avidemux. Might need to upgrade to
      Gutsy to get it going.

      Video editing is the only function that is keeping me tenuously tied to
      Windoze so I am overjoyed that Redmond's days on my boxes are now
      numbered. :)

      PS I had to compile DVDStyler 1.5 using a HOWTO over on the Ubuntu
      forums. That was an interesting project!

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2008
        I was going to use a licensed version of Windows XP. From what I have seen, the new version of VirtualBox handles it all much better than the others, and runs seamlessly at the same time.

        Just out of curiosity, why do you run three different types of Linux at the same time?

        Lee

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 7, 2008
          --- Lee Underwood <leeu@...> wrote:

          > I was going to use a licensed version of Windows XP. From what I have
          > seen, the new version of VirtualBox handles it all much better than
          > the others, and runs seamlessly at the same time.
          >
          > Just out of curiosity, why do you run three different types of Linux
          > at the same time?
          >
          > Lee

          Yes, VB runs seamlessly with with the Guest Additions. It took me a
          while to figure out how to get everything up and running though . . .

          play with all those 'flavors'. Gutsy - because I haven't upgraded yet
          and wanted to give it a test run. Xubuntu - to play with xfce
          interface. And Fedora - to see the differences between Ubuntu and
          RedHat. Now that I've done my exploring, I rarely fire any of them up.

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2008
            The problem with virtual solutions is that they do not work so well on
            older PCs with lower RAM.

            The up side is that if you have a PC with the horsepower to give good
            performance, this option can "solve" a lot of the issues, since the
            native OS for a program is supported.

            I have heard about Virtual Box, but have not tried it.

            I have tried using Qemu. It seems to be a good option and Debian has a
            GUI to help configure it. I got Win98SE running in Qemu on my 1GHz PC
            with 256 MB RAM, needless to say, it is slowww. NoteTab worked, but I
            did not try printing.

            What I like about using Wine is that it does not have the need for so
            much RAM.

            At some point, I hope to be able to get a new PC that will have the
            power to try these virtual environments and get a usable configuration.

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 8, 2008
              I have a laptop that's a year old with 2GB of RAM, so it should work great. I'll let you know.

              Lee