Re: [ntb-linux] [wine] Unresolved Issues of NoteTab on Wine

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 21, 2007
      System specs:

      Computer: custom build (2.5 years old)
      Processor: Intel P4 2.8Ghz
      RAM: 1 GB
      Graphics: nVidia G-Force MX-4000
      Hard drive: 250GB

      OS: Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 (dual boots with XP Pro)
      Kernel: 2.6 [had to install modutils to get this info]
      Wine Version: 0.9.41.0ubuntu2~feisty1
      NoteTab: Light v.4.95 (since 2002)

      Here are the glitches/annoyances I experienced when I tried to update a
      site with NoteTab/Wine earlier this evening:

      1. No Drag and Drop [*(native, built-in) did not fix this for me]
      Ctrl X and Ctrl V are workarounds.

      2. This is a biggie: Search and Replace will not "Find Next". It
      will "Replace All". It just won't allow a selective replacement.
      Clicking on "Find Next" pops up a box "Not Found" do you want to start
      from the beginning of the document yada, yada . . . Then it doesn't
      find anything. [Manual replacement sucks]

      3. Adding fonts to the .fonts folder in the home/user directory screws
      up the fonts in the NoteTab. I had to rename the .fonts folder to get
      the fonts in NoteTab readable.

      4. Join lines doesn't work - option grayed out.

      5. Save all doesn't work - option grayed out.

      6. Word Wrap doesn't toggle - stays wrapped.

      7. Tabs do not indicate files that have been edited and need to be
      saved with the appropriate color change.

      8. Sometimes unable to save edited files - option grayed out. Have to
      exit NoteTab to get a popup "Do you want to save" dialog.

      9. Cursor unstable and flickers when selecting text. [very
      distracting]

      10. Selecting blocks of text requires shift plus down arrow to get
      past bottom of the window. Very difficult to control cursor movement
      when doing this.

      Many error windows keep popping up. Some are quite persistent and
      show-stopping. These two appear most frequently:

      1. Access violation at address xxxxxxx in module Riched20.dll

      2. External exception 80000101

      I have not yet tried "Replace All' over multiple documents or "Search
      Disk".

      Note: I use NoteTab for creating and editing websites (some quite
      large) so need the ability to markup content efficiently, move text
      around, search and replace (sometimes over many pages). While I do
      have a few PasteClips, I do not really use regex or clips.

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 21, 2007

        > System specs:
        >
        > Computer: custom build (2.5 years old)
        > Processor: Intel P4 2.8Ghz
        > RAM: 1 GB
        > Graphics: nVidia G-Force MX-4000
        > Hard drive: 250GB
        >
        > OS: Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 (dual boots with XP Pro)
        > Kernel: 2.6 [had to install modutils to get this
        > info]
        > Wine Version: 0.9.41.0ubuntu2~feisty1
        > NoteTab: Light v.4.95 (since 2002)

        It's late and I'm tired, but there is a command to get
        the kernel information without installing modutils.
        I'll look it up later this weekend. I will add a post
        on how to get this information out of Linux.

        I suggest that you try NoteTab Light 5.x. Install it
        to a different directory, so it does not interfere
        with 4.95. See if that makes any difference to any of
        the issues you are having. If it helps anything, let
        us know. I do not believe the thread for this on the
        NoteTab Basic list mentioned versions of NoteTab. We
        should have gotten this and could have tried it.

        The other piece is that you have wine 0.9.41. Current
        is 0.9.45.

        I have 0.9.44 and am running NoteTab Pro 5.4.

        I have NoteTab Light 5.4 and the drag and drop does
        not work for me either. Slackware 12, kernel 2.6,
        intel 810 video, dual-boot with WinXP SP2. It seems to
        flash at me. Double-click does not highlight a word.
        NoteTab Light and Standard share the same input
        control, Pro is different. This may be the source of
        some of all the issues you are experiencing.

        If we cannot get Light working well under Linux, then
        it could be a show stopper to those checking it out.
        Now I understand the source of your frustration.

        For thoroughness, I installed NoteTab Light 4.95, and
        double-click and drag and drop do not work either. I
        did not have time to try all of the other issues you
        reported.

        I started Light 4.95 from a command prompt and had a
        whole slew of messages from wine:

        "fixme:richedit:RichEditWndProc_common ..." The ...
        represents detail on the piece of the richedit.dll
        that has not yet been implemented in Wine.

        One possible solution would be to copy the
        richedit.dll and richedit32.dll to Wine and see if
        that resolves the issue. I do not have time to reboot
        to get into Windows right now.

        The good news is that this is a limitation of Wine and
        not a problem with NoteTab Light. Since Standard
        shares the same input control as Light, they should
        both have the same issue.

        I suggest that you run NoteTab Light 4.95 and 5.x from
        a command line then exit to see if there are any
        messages like the one I listed.

        If it is any consolation, richedit*.dll caused
        problems in Windows in years past, back to Win95/98.

        I am also posting this to both the NoteTab basic list
        to make sure the details of your issues are available
        there.

        Let me know what you find out.

        Thanks for the details!

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 21, 2007
          --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

          > --- sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:
          There is one configuration thing I thought of. I had to put this out
          there before I could let this go and get some sleep.

          Using winecfg, you can specify on the Applications tab, what version
          of Windows to mimic.

          Highlight the program, or add it to the list so it can be highlighted,
          then specify the version of Windows to use for that program. There is
          a drop down on the lower right-hand corner of the screen on the
          Applications tab.

          The default is Windows 2000, but Win98 is pretty solid. Windows 2000
          emulation is near native in the last year or so.

          I tried changing it to Win98, and it did not make any difference.

          I then tried specifically tweaking how NoteTab Light uses riched20.dll
          and riched32.dll. Still no joy.

          I think this is one case where using an actual Windows dll will make
          the difference. If you copy the one from WinXP, you will want to set
          the application to act like Win2K or WinXP. Win2K may work better.

          I'll try it on my system later this weekend.

          The other option is to get NoteTab Pro. ;-)

          Larry Hamitlon
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
            --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, "lm_hamilton" <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

            > --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- sisterscape <sisterscape@> wrote:
            > There is one configuration thing I thought of. I had to put this out
            > there before I could let this go and get some sleep.
            >
            > Using winecfg, you can specify on the Applications tab, what version
            > of Windows to mimic.
            >
            > Highlight the program, or add it to the list so it can be highlighted,
            > then specify the version of Windows to use for that program. There is
            > a drop down on the lower right-hand corner of the screen on the
            > Applications tab.
            >
            > The default is Windows 2000, but Win98 is pretty solid. Windows 2000
            > emulation is near native in the last year or so.
            >
            > I tried changing it to Win98, and it did not make any difference.
            >
            > I then tried specifically tweaking how NoteTab Light uses riched20.dll
            > and riched32.dll. Still no joy.
            >
            > I think this is one case where using an actual Windows dll will make
            > the difference. If you copy the one from WinXP, you will want to set
            > the application to act like Win2K or WinXP. Win2K may work better.
            >
            > I'll try it on my system later this weekend.
            >
            > The other option is to get NoteTab Pro. ;-)
            >
            > Larry Hamitlon

            I kept the above to keep all this information together.

            I copied the riched20.dll and riched32.dll from WinXP's
            Windows\System32 directory and put it in my
            .wine/drive_c/windows/system32 directory. The Wine dlls are only 2KB,
            the WinXP dlls are about 200KB each. This gives you a clue to the
            functionality missing from the Wine dlls. Wine's dlls are enough to
            allow the text to display.

            I found that NoteTab Light would not display text in the editor window
            using the WinXP dlls no matter what I changed in winecfg.

            I suspect putting them in the NoteTab directory may help, but I have
            to go across the county to move some furniture, so I have to go before
            the wife hurts me... ;-)

            Larry
          • Donguitar
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
              > > The other option is to get NoteTab Pro. ;-)

              Hello everyone, this is my first post.

              I started with NoteTab Light years ago. When I started paying for my web
              host I bought NoteTab Pro and hated it. The main difference is in the
              fonts, it was over a year ago and I only used it for a week so the details
              are fuzzy but it didn't look or feel right so I went back to NoteTab Light.
              Later, to show support, I bought two copies of NoteTab Standard (one for me,
              one for my wife) and I do use it on rare occasions, mainly for its spell
              checking capability, but I still do all my editing and writing in NoteTab
              Light. I'll grant that this may only be true of me, but NoteTab Pro is not
              an option. I'd rather stick with gedit. I'll settle, if I must, for
              NoteTab Standard in Wine but what I WANT is NoteTab Light on my Linux
              machine. I don't care how it gets done and I don't, in the least, mind
              paying for it.

              That's my $.02

              Don Crowder
              http://www.don-guitar.com
              http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/eldergeek/
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
                Hi Don and welcome! Nice to see that you decided to join us over here.
                I'm hoping that discussions on this list will solve a lot of the
                problems we're having.

                FWIW, I tried the trail version of NTPro a while back and didn't care
                for it much either.

                I understand that Light and Standard basically use the same modules(?)
                so if Light won't work, chances are that Standard won't either. (Larry,
                please correct me if I'm wrong about that.)

                http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007

                  <snip>
                  > FWIW, I tried the trail version of NTPro a while back and didn't
                  > care for it much either.

                  The difference in the fonts is intentional. It is a matter of taste,
                  and functionality needed. I write and modify a lot of clips, so I
                  really need the syntax highlighting. I also like the syntax
                  highlighting for working with HTML.

                  > I understand that Light and Standard basically use the same
                  > modules(?) so if Light won't work, chances are that Standard won't
                  > either. (Larry, please correct me if I'm wrong about that.)

                  Yes, Light and Standard use the same input control, i.e. the part that
                  handles the document tabs, and typing, etc. This control is highly
                  dependent upon a single Windows dll.

                  I did a search of the NoteTab Yahoo Group and found that riched32.dll
                  is the file in question.

                  Here are 28 messages related to this dll and how Light and Standard
                  are affected. Jody handled a lot of issues with this over the years.

                  Here is an explanation of riched32.dll I found via Google.

                  http://www.auditmypc.com/process/riched32.asp

                  This dll is used by Wordpad, Calc, and several other Windows utilities.

                  Since Wine has its own Wordpad, they either address it in their dll,
                  or do not use that dll.

                  I know that most users that had a problem with Light or Standard,
                  related to this dll, were Win9x, (95/98/ME).

                  Because of this, it may be that using the Win98 dll and using
                  Light/Standard in Wine's Win98 mode will solve the issue.

                  dll-files.com has the riched32.dll available for download. I do not
                  know which version of Windows it is. I have an old laptop with Win98
                  that is too feeble for Linux, very low RAM and very slow CPU. I'll
                  grab the dll and see if it helps.

                  I can see what WineHQ suggests for trying to use a Windows dll.

                  If this does not work, then we will have to wait for the Wine
                  developers to address whatever the issue is. If this is the case, we
                  can add NoteTab to the AppDB and make a detailed report. This should
                  help get some resolution.

                  If anyone else tries one of these things and it works, please let me know.

                  Well, I've narrowed it down to one dll, so at least we have a better
                  focus for our efforts.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
                    --- Donguitar <donguitar@...> wrote:
                    <snip>
                    > I'll grant that this may only be true of me,
                    > but NoteTab Pro is not an option. I'd rather stick
                    > with gedit. I'll settle, if I must, for
                    > NoteTab Standard in Wine but what I WANT is NoteTab
                    > Light on my Linux machine. I don't care how it gets

                    > done and I don't, in the least, mind paying for it.
                    >
                    > That's my $.02
                    >
                    > Don Crowder

                    Don,

                    It may be that those who really want Light/Standard to
                    work in Wine, would want to contribute to get a
                    developer to address the issues that prevent correct
                    functioning of Light/Std on Wine.

                    I do not know if WineHQ has donations for this sort of
                    thing, I will be checking. But Wine is hosted on
                    SourceForge, and SourceForge does have a program to
                    pay for desired improvements.

                    If you had the horsepower, i.e. CPU and RAM on your
                    PC, you could use virtualisation, such as with Qemu,
                    and Win98 or 2k or XP to get NoteTab working. This way
                    you are in Linux, and run Windows on Linux in a
                    virtual setting.

                    I have run Win98 via Qemu and it runs about as well as
                    Win98 on a PC with 64 MB RAM. Slow, but eventually
                    gets the job done. For most users, this will be more
                    than they care to bother with, but is the only other
                    option, besides figuring out how to get the
                    riched32.dll working in Wine, or waiting for the Wine
                    developers to fix it.

                    I understand your perspective, just trying to lay out
                    all the options that I am aware of to get Light
                    working ASAP.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
                      --- Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

                      > It may be that those who really want Light/Standard to
                      > work in Wine, would want to contribute to get a
                      > developer to address the issues that prevent correct
                      > functioning of Light/Std on Wine.
                      >
                      > I do not know if WineHQ has donations for this sort of
                      > thing, I will be checking. But Wine is hosted on
                      > SourceForge, and SourceForge does have a program to
                      > pay for desired improvements.

                      I'd also be willing to contribute towards getting this done (I'd rather
                      it be going to Eric though). What kind of $$$ are we talking about
                      here?

                      As to virtualization . . . it's hardly worth it when XP is only a
                      reboot away.

                      BTW, I did set the wineconf to Win98 and it didn't help.

                      I just now updated to the latest version of Wine via Synaptic and
                      inclusion of the repository on my list so it should stay current.

                      http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 23, 2007

                        > 3. Adding fonts to the .fonts folder in the home/user directory
                        > screws
                        > up the fonts in the NoteTab. I had to rename the .fonts folder to
                        > get
                        > the fonts in NoteTab readable.

                        The fix for this problem is to add a few fonts to the Windoze fonts
                        folder. I opted for the basics - Arial, Courier, Georgia and Verdana.
                        Once these were added, NoteTab displayed correctly and I was able to
                        reinstate the home/user/.fonts directory.

                        http://tv.yahoo.com/