A 'Virtual' Solution?

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2008
      Has anyone tried using a virtual program, e.g., "VirtualBox", and running Linux and Windows at the same time? That way NoteTab Pro could be used in its native environment without jumping though hoops with Wine, and Linux is still the main operating system. I have heard very good things about VirtualBox, and it's free.

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2008
        I have Fedora 8, Gutsy and Xubuntu running in Virtual Box. I once
        loaded Win 98SE but there was a glitch with screen resolution and color
        adjustment that was more trouble than it was worth to figure out how to
        fix (if it was even possible).

        Remember that if you run XP in VB, you'll need a separate license
        (otherwise the nags will drive you nuts and eventually it will shut
        down). I would consider it if my video editing program would work but
        VB doesn't support DirectX (and is not likely to in the near future).

        Speaking of video editing [OT] . . .

        I have finally managed to edit MPEGs and burn a DVD on Linux that plays
        on my TV!

        I have currently settled on Avidemux as the most user friendly editor.
        It allows me to edit MPEGs and save them to a DVD friendly MPG format.
        DVDStyler has a fairly intuitive a GUI that allowed me to create a menu
        - http://www.eartherdesigns.com/ss/menu.jpg - and burn an ISO. As I
        said, it even plays on my TV! And I found two Linux players that can
        handle ISOs and menus - Ogle and VLC! VLC is my fav.

        Good news is there doesn't seen to be a problem with audio sync - that
        was previously a BIG headache with Roxio on XP. Also there was no
        problem with overheating when saving/encoding the edited file or
        creating the ISO. Overheating was also a problem when encoding in XP.

        I was also able to get FIVE 22-24 min episodes of my favorite exercise
        show on one DVD with MB to spare!! This is much more efficient than the
        DVDs I created with Roxio - I could only get three episodes on a disk
        (120 minute limit and every kb used).

        I've been trying to install Open Movie Editor on Feisty but have gotten
        stuck at compiling one of the dependencies. OME looks like a more
        complete and robust editor than Avidemux. Might need to upgrade to
        Gutsy to get it going.

        Video editing is the only function that is keeping me tenuously tied to
        Windoze so I am overjoyed that Redmond's days on my boxes are now
        numbered. :)

        PS I had to compile DVDStyler 1.5 using a HOWTO over on the Ubuntu
        forums. That was an interesting project!

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 7, 2008
          I was going to use a licensed version of Windows XP. From what I have seen, the new version of VirtualBox handles it all much better than the others, and runs seamlessly at the same time.

          Just out of curiosity, why do you run three different types of Linux at the same time?

          Lee

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2008
            --- Lee Underwood <leeu@...> wrote:

            > I was going to use a licensed version of Windows XP. From what I have
            > seen, the new version of VirtualBox handles it all much better than
            > the others, and runs seamlessly at the same time.
            >
            > Just out of curiosity, why do you run three different types of Linux
            > at the same time?
            >
            > Lee

            Yes, VB runs seamlessly with with the Guest Additions. It took me a
            while to figure out how to get everything up and running though . . .

            play with all those 'flavors'. Gutsy - because I haven't upgraded yet
            and wanted to give it a test run. Xubuntu - to play with xfce
            interface. And Fedora - to see the differences between Ubuntu and
            RedHat. Now that I've done my exploring, I rarely fire any of them up.

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7, 2008
              The problem with virtual solutions is that they do not work so well on
              older PCs with lower RAM.

              The up side is that if you have a PC with the horsepower to give good
              performance, this option can "solve" a lot of the issues, since the
              native OS for a program is supported.

              I have heard about Virtual Box, but have not tried it.

              I have tried using Qemu. It seems to be a good option and Debian has a
              GUI to help configure it. I got Win98SE running in Qemu on my 1GHz PC
              with 256 MB RAM, needless to say, it is slowww. NoteTab worked, but I
              did not try printing.

              What I like about using Wine is that it does not have the need for so
              much RAM.

              At some point, I hope to be able to get a new PC that will have the
              power to try these virtual environments and get a usable configuration.

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 8, 2008
                I have a laptop that's a year old with 2GB of RAM, so it should work great. I'll let you know.

                Lee