564Re: [ntb-linux] Re: black border artifact covering up first 1 or 2 lines of text

  • Al
    Feb 10, 2011
      Hi all,

      I'm wonder if a particular video driver . . .

      1. Some computers have Intel video hardware. Others have Nvidia. Yet
      others have ATI/Radeon. Yet others have Matrox video hardware. Each
      requires a specific and distinct Linux video driver.

      2. On another note: I've an Asus motherboard whereby Slackware 12.2
      incorrectly detects the sound hardware as well as its one pata
      controller. My sound works fine though (or at least good enough for me)
      **with the wrong driver loaded**. I forget the specifics but it loads a
      brand y driver even though it has brand x sound hardware.

      So, (1) the drivers of some brands (some Linux users) experience
      sometimes somewhat differing video results on one brand versus another
      brand. Compositing and 3D can make a huge difference -- in fact I'd
      look here first at this ie is it turned on or is it off? Sometimes
      doing manual sys admin things like create an xorg.conf file and/or
      tinker with the video config, edit the xorg.conf (can make better video,
      can mess it up too).

      As far as the (2) there are ways to check. As root (in Slackware) in a
      terminal, the lspci command in Slackware lists the hardware. The (in
      Slackware) lsmod command lists out the loaded modules (drivers) and what
      hardware each module/driver is for. Other distro may not have the lspci
      but most likely have a different hardware lister utility/app.

      3. Sometimes for safety the best video driver goes unused. IOW
      defaults to a more generic video driver due to when it probed, only so
      much (not quite enough) data was returned from the probe (developers of
      video drivers do not want to garner a reputation for damaging people's
      video hardware). I don't use Ubuntu; I don't know how advanced Ubuntu
      might be getting in this (plug and play) arena.

      4. Rather very conservative settings/setup/config on the most correct
      video driver (due to the same reason as #3) ie just not quite enough
      returned on that auto probe (for plug and play)

      I use Slackware which encourages the mechanic in me (get under the
      hood). Conservative Slackware probably leans in a direction of being
      one of the Linux distros with a tendency towards some of the least
      amount of plug and play things (brings out the sys admin in me) -- but,
      even Slackware is getting more and more of plug and play.

      Linux is evolving ie all of the constant kernel development which keeps
      including new features which often times link to what a certain video
      driver needs to have. IOW the video driver can't do it if the needed
      feature is not in the kernel. I've been following this some (kernel
      changelogs, etc.) due to I have an ATI Radeon 5450 PCI-E video adapter
      that continues to be better and better supported by the open source
      video driver (the closed source driver had its problems too, one of them
      choked on me and wouldn't work at all. I now have decent video using
      one of the latest kernels I compiled myself with the open source driver
      for that card.

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic