513Re: [ntb-linux] Re: Ubuntu default text editor

  • Al
    Jul 21, 2010
      sisterscape wrote:
      > --- On Wed, 7/21/10, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:
      >
      >> The boot/login sequence is U - G - L -
      >> Y!!! And can't yet be customized to my
      >> liking. Maybe there will be a way to do it eventually
      >> but not yet.
      >>

      > I was just notified via PM of a new tutorial on GRUB2 theming. You can download the pdf here:
      >
      > http://www.mediafire.com/?amub1vfdyfhj7v2
      >

      > Now if someone can do the same for the login, I just might consider Lucid at some point.

      I'm guess that that uses the Gnome desktop which would use the GDM (or)
      Gnome login manager/screen/dialog. Grub2 hasn't been out that long
      yet. But I do hear lots of good about it.

      Me, I'm a simple Slackware user. I set up my friend's Slackware so as
      to auto login to the KDE desktop. This uses KDM (kde login manager)
      They are ok with it (not ugly).

      BTW, XDM is the generic, an X Windows login manager which may be used
      for a variety of the different desktops.

      GDM, KDM, XDM

      But I use none of those three. Instead, I login on a terminal:

      al@P5Q:~$ Welcome to Linux 2.6.28.8-smp (tty1)

      al@P5Q:~$ startx

      and then I start X

      which I have configured so as to load the KDE desktop.

      I'm on 12.2 Slackware. I skipped the 13.0 release of Slackware.

      I'm soon to install 13.1 Slackware.

      When I do, I may use KDM. But I might not.

      It's Slackware. Do what you want to do.

      BTW Slackware defaults to Lilo but has a option to use Grub instead.
      Grub2 might be a Slackware /extra package by now (available for those
      who want to use it).

      Alan.