RE: [NH] XHML and all that

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10, 2000
      Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold said...

      > What puzzles me, with a thousand and one web pages under my belt, and
      > a few billion by others around the world, is that if XHTML with />
      > tags etc and lower case was to become compulsory, most web pages in
      > the world would cease to work. As this isn't going to happen, a
      > great many people will continue to use even HTML 3.2 and without
      > declaring a "transitional" or otherwise tag.

      True! but one of the main purposes of XHTML is to prepare from new technologies.
      If people don't update their sites to the new standard, we'll all have to
      continue to suffer the bug ridden bloatware that is modern software as it
      struggles to cope with every long forgotten old "standard" and proprietary code.
      So as I update anything I'd prefer to use the latest standard, especially when
      it can be done on the fly for me by my authoring tools (NoteTab Pro, Tidy and
      Top Style Lite).

      > Incidentally, off topic, the installation of Internet Explorer 5.5
      > has given me greyed out DUN password hell.

      I've been thinking about upgrading to that on my Win98SE system. Tell me about
      it off-list, so I can consider whether it's worth the hassle.

      Greg
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 10, 2000
        Hi Greg,

        >> What puzzles me, with a thousand and one web pages under my
        >> belt, and a few billion by others around the world, is that if
        >> XHTML with /tags etc and lower case was to become compulsory,
        >> most web pages in the world would cease to work.

        >True! but one of the main purposes of XHTML is to prepare from
        >new technologies.
        >If people don't update their sites to the new standard, we'll all
        >have to continue to suffer the bug ridden bloatware that is
        >modern software as it struggles to cope with every long forgotten
        >old "standard" and proprietary code.

        I prefer to wait on the new software and then when they create
        the latest and greatest HTML for it and they get all the kinks
        worked out - change all my code then.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab and Html List...
        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 10, 2000
          Greg and others,

          I also am considering the upgrade. Please continue this thread online
          either on this board or on the Off Topic board.

          Ray Shapp

          > Incidentally, off topic, the installation of Internet Explorer 5.5
          > has given me greyed out DUN password hell.

          I've been thinking about upgrading to that on my Win98SE system. Tell me
          about
          it off-list, so I can consider whether it's worth the hassle.
        • -=/ Cees /=-
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 10, 2000
            Hello Greg,

            Tuesday, October 10, 2000, 11:43:19 AM, you wrote:

            GC> I've been thinking about upgrading to that on my Win98SE system. Tell me about
            GC> it off-list, so I can consider whether it's worth the hassle.

            Don't talk about win98 please. It gives me stomach-ache. <g> Better choose
            Win2k Professional then!

            -=/ Cees /=-
            http://dierhulp.nb.nu/

            I'm killing time, wasting space, and going through a phase.
          • Grant
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 10, 2000
              > >True! but one of the main purposes of XHTML is to prepare from
              > >new technologies.
              > >If people don't update their sites to the new standard, we'll all
              > >have to continue to suffer the bug ridden bloat ware that is
              > >modern software as it struggles to cope with every long forgotten
              > >old "standard" and proprietary code.
              >
              > I prefer to wait on the new software and then when they create
              > the latest and greatest HTML for it and they get all the kinks
              > worked out - change all my code then.

              I'm sure what you are trying to say here but..
              What matters is the document.
              Documents marked up in html3.2 have limited functionality...formatting,
              hyperlinks and image insertion etc.
              Documents marked up in html 4 have more functionality...better formatting
              via css, accessibility concerns addressed, clearly defined rules for element
              inclusion via dtds so avoiding propriety elements etc.
              Documents marked up in html 5 have no functionality ... there will be no
              html 5
              Documents marked up in xhtml 1 have still more functionality ... all the
              stuff for html4 plus documents can treated as an object, have XML
              process-ability etc.
              Documents marked up in xhtml 1.1 will have still more functionality ... all
              the stuff for xhtml plus extensibility via modularisation etc.

              The browser is just the software side of things that parses the mark-up
              ,renders these documents, and hosts a scripting engine to enable scripting
              of these same documents. In fact you could imagine a near future when a
              fully bloated browser becomes less important in accessing documents on the
              web.
              As document creators if we stick to a W3C's standard mark-up then the
              information contained in these documents will last in spite of browser
              variations.

              There is one good reason for using html4 and xhtml1 (strict dtd) as opposed
              to html3.2 if you are to use a text editor like Notetab to create html
              documents .
              Readability ..If you learn to use 'font' here there and every where your
              document will soon become an unreadable mess in a text editor.
              Another good reason for using html4 and xhtml1 (strict dtd) is that you
              learn to construct html documents in a way in which you don't have to
              unlearn latter.
              If you learn to construct html as a bunch of formatting hacks. "table" as
              formatting layout mechanisms, "blockquote" as a formatting hack mechanism to
              indent text then the syntactic meaning of "table" or "blockquote" is lost.
              The meaning is lost to such an extent as I have heard Jody a say about using
              blockquote to indent text .. "that's what I thought it was for"
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 10, 2000
                Hi Grant,

                >> I prefer to wait on the new software and then when they create
                >> the latest and greatest HTML for it and they get all the kinks
                >> worked out - change all my code then.
                >
                >I'm sure what you are trying to say here but.

                I'm saying that I'll wait until I absolutely have to before I go
                changing 1000s of web pages, because I suspect there will be many
                more changes before that time comes.

                >Documents marked up in html3.2 have limited
                >functionality...formatting, hyperlinks and image insertion etc.
                >Documents marked up in html 4 have more functionality...better
                >formatting via css, accessibility concerns addressed, clearly
                >defined rules for element inclusion via dtds so avoiding
                >propriety elements etc.

                Yes, but for us simpleminded folk, we don't need all that extra
                stuff. I build very basic web pages because that is all I need.

                >If you learn to construct html as a bunch of formatting hacks.
                >"table" as formatting layout mechanisms, "blockquote" as a
                >formatting hack mechanism to indent text then the syntactic
                >meaning of "table" or "blockquote" is lost. The meaning is lost
                >to such an extent as I have heard Jody a say about using
                >blockquote to indent text .. "that's what I thought it was for"

                And I still say that is what it is for, to indent. I will agree
                that it is to be used by those of you who go by the book as only
                to set off a quoted paragraph, but if I want to use it for
                indenting on both sides I really do not care what the book says.
                <g> I understand there are a number of web pro's like you that
                have to have it done the way it is written and more power to
                you!!! However, if I am pleased with a "hack" job in the eyes of
                the pro's that is my business. I'm sorry if you look at my code
                sometime and puke. <bg>

                I do appreciate your input and perhaps someday you will convert
                me, but now, I am simply a hobbyist HTMLer that wants to get his
                pages up as fast and easy as possible making them somewhat
                presentable. I am only presenting the way I think about it - not
                the way it should be done.

                Stevie's HTMLib (my emphasis):

                "The BLOCKQUOTE element is used to contain text quoted from
                another source.

                A typical rendering would be a slight extra **_left and right
                indent_**, and/or italic font. The BLOCKQUOTE element causes a
                paragraph break, and typically provides space above and below the
                quote."

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 11, 2000
                  Hi Jody,

                  I hate to join the "Let's bash Jody" brigade, but as we're into blockquoting...

                  From: http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/BLOCK/blockquote.html

                  Authors should not use BLOCKQUOTE for unquoted material just to achieve a block
                  indentation in common visual browsers. With the rise of style sheets, such
                  misuse of BLOCKQUOTE will become less reliable while also reducing the author's
                  ability to fully exploit the power of style sheets. Cascading Style Sheets
                  provide the margin-left property to indent a block.

                  In short you'd be much better off with something like:

                  .inset{
                  margin-left: 10%;
                  margin-right: 10%;
                  }

                  in a style tag/sheet and a <p class="inset">

                  It really isn't that difficult! Honest!

                  Greg
                • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 11, 2000
                    11/10/00 14:10:01

                    Greg said

                    In short you'd be much better off with something like:

                    .inset{
                    margin-left: 10%;
                    margin-right: 10%;
                    }

                    in a style tag/sheet and a <p class="inset">

                    OR I'd prefer the easier still <span style="margin-left:10%>text block</span> which
                    avoids the need for setting up an internal style sheet: the only time I prefer an internal
                    style sheet is where the span style is complicated and repeats a lot.

                    Adrian Worsfold

                    web: http://www.pluralist.co.uk
                    email: adrian@...
                  • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 11, 2000
                      11/10/00 16:02:17

                      That was an odd message for me.

                      Honest, I put:

                      opening angle bracket span style="margin-left: etc" then close angle brackets, a text
                      then open angle brackets forward slash and span close angle brackets which is better
                      than a style sheet div unless the span is complex and repeats a lot.

                      Adrian Worsfold

                      web: http://www.pluralist.co.uk
                      email: adrian@...
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 11, 2000
                        Hi Greg,

                        >I hate to join the "Let's bash Jody" brigade, but as we're into blockquoting...

                        No problem - I've been bashed by the best. ;)

                        >From: http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/BLOCK/blockquote.html
                        >
                        >Authors should not use BLOCKQUOTE for unquoted material just to
                        >achieve a block indentation in common visual browsers. With the
                        >rise of style sheets,

                        Ask me if I care what he/she/they think/say, etc. about how I want to
                        write my code. ;)

                        >In short you'd be much better off with something like:
                        >
                        >.inset{
                        > margin-left: 10%;
                        > margin-right: 10%;
                        >}
                        >
                        >in a style tag/sheet and a <p class="inset">
                        >
                        >It really isn't that difficult! Honest!

                        I've use that and <BLOCKQUOTE>. <BLOCKQUOTE> is much easier.
                        The only reason I went to .css on some of my pages is because of
                        Opera and I might just get in the mood someday to change it back
                        to <BLOCKQUOTE>. <g>