Re: [NH] Re: XML?

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2000
      Hi Wayland,

      I have a good example of a Clip library that handles XML files. Software
      developers now have a new standard for publishing descriptions of their
      products. This standard has the acronym PAD and it is stored in the form of
      a plain XML file. Take a look at the following page to see what NoteTab is
      capable of doing with these PAD files:

      http://www.notetab.com/pad/

      Regards,
      Eric Fookes
      -----------
      NoteTab v4.82 available from

    • Grant
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2000
        > I just recently started learning and using HTML for some local intranet
        > pages (rather simple stuff at that). The HTML language does not seem too
        > difficult. Because I am the only one in my group to even attempt that, I
        > have been given the task of learning XML for interfacing with a database
        > tool to customize/improve its reporting capabilities. This database tool
        > uses forms (customized by us) for entering data, although it will not
        > "pretty print" the forms, only the data. So my task, also, includes
        > retrieving data from the database tool and presenting in an
        > MSIE5.5 browser
        > to look like the tool's form, then it can be printed.

        Does this database tool return XML. If so just send an abbreviated example.

        Some thoughts on using xml with notetab

        on learning html with xml in mind.
        Learn xhtml instead of html and stick to the strict dtd.
        In doing so you will understand the concepts of well formedness and
        validation and the separation of structure from presentation which are also
        important concepts in xml.
        Learn JavaScript and how to use the DOM (DocumentObjectModel.)

        On using notetab with xml.
        If you are working in a m$oft environment you need to learn how to
        instantiate com objects in a suitable host for the ms xml parser is a com
        object.
        The HOSTS
        a) wsh as a client can instantiate COM objects
        b) ie5 as gui client can instantiate COM objects
        c) iis5 as a server can instantiate COM objects

        a)WSH
        Using the WSH and notetab you can instantiate the ms xml parser(var doc =
        new ActiveXObject("microsoft.xmldom"). Load a local xml file
        then use dom methods to extract data from the file or directly manipulate it
        and then send any results back to Notetab with^$GetOutput()$
        You can also use the same methods to work with xml files on the web. How
        this is done was posted recently. see my post. RE: Re[2]: [NH] Opera and
        objectDetection

        b) ie5.
        If you are working with an intranet which uses ie5 browsers then you can do
        the same sort of thing for the ie5 browser can host COM objects. Although
        you can use Data islands in ie I prefer to use a simular method as outlined
        above in a script block.
        var doc = new ActiveXObject("microsoft.xmldom"
        doc.load('xmlfile.xml')
        /*...use dom methods ....*/

        c) iis5 or iis4
        with asp jscript script block
        var doc = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM");
        doc.load(Server.MapPath("xmlfile.xml"));

        Of course you need to have a iis5 server installed on your system to test
        this. If you have w2k this is on disk as an install option otherwise
        download the nt4 option pack.
        The latest version of notetab enables you to preview your pages through a
        server. (great stuff)
        options/preview server side and set your path to the server here.

        The best way to learn about this stuff is by downloading the ms xml sdk
        available at.
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/default.asp