Re: XML?

  • Wayland_B_Fowler@Raytheon.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2000
      Jody, Emmett, Brian,

      I thank you all for your replies.

      I just recently started learning and using HTML for some local intranet
      pages (rather simple stuff at that). The HTML language does not seem too
      difficult. Because I am the only one in my group to even attempt that, I
      have been given the task of learning XML for interfacing with a database
      tool to customize/improve its reporting capabilities. This database tool
      uses forms (customized by us) for entering data, although it will not
      "pretty print" the forms, only the data. So my task, also, includes
      retrieving data from the database tool and presenting in an MSIE5.5 browser
      to look like the tool's form, then it can be printed.

      I can see that I have my work cut out, learning more of the nuances of
      HTML, learning XML, learning more about NoteTabPro (I'm relatively new to
      NTP), learning more about Clips (how to write and incorporate them). I am
      more than confident about NTP's capabilities, just need to learn more about
      it. Practice, practice, practice.

      Brian, you seem to already have XML experience, may I send you an
      occasional question?

      Thanks, you guys for your input.

      Regards,

      Wayland Fowler
      Software Engineer (and all around nice guy!)
      (281) 280-4446
    • Eric G.V. Fookes
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2000
        Hi Wayland,

        I have a good example of a Clip library that handles XML files. Software
        developers now have a new standard for publishing descriptions of their
        products. This standard has the acronym PAD and it is stored in the form of
        a plain XML file. Take a look at the following page to see what NoteTab is
        capable of doing with these PAD files:

        http://www.notetab.com/pad/

        Regards,
        Eric Fookes
        -----------
        NoteTab v4.82 available from

      • Grant
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2000
          > I just recently started learning and using HTML for some local intranet
          > pages (rather simple stuff at that). The HTML language does not seem too
          > difficult. Because I am the only one in my group to even attempt that, I
          > have been given the task of learning XML for interfacing with a database
          > tool to customize/improve its reporting capabilities. This database tool
          > uses forms (customized by us) for entering data, although it will not
          > "pretty print" the forms, only the data. So my task, also, includes
          > retrieving data from the database tool and presenting in an
          > MSIE5.5 browser
          > to look like the tool's form, then it can be printed.

          Does this database tool return XML. If so just send an abbreviated example.

          Some thoughts on using xml with notetab

          on learning html with xml in mind.
          Learn xhtml instead of html and stick to the strict dtd.
          In doing so you will understand the concepts of well formedness and
          validation and the separation of structure from presentation which are also
          important concepts in xml.
          Learn JavaScript and how to use the DOM (DocumentObjectModel.)

          On using notetab with xml.
          If you are working in a m$oft environment you need to learn how to
          instantiate com objects in a suitable host for the ms xml parser is a com
          object.
          The HOSTS
          a) wsh as a client can instantiate COM objects
          b) ie5 as gui client can instantiate COM objects
          c) iis5 as a server can instantiate COM objects

          a)WSH
          Using the WSH and notetab you can instantiate the ms xml parser(var doc =
          new ActiveXObject("microsoft.xmldom"). Load a local xml file
          then use dom methods to extract data from the file or directly manipulate it
          and then send any results back to Notetab with^$GetOutput()$
          You can also use the same methods to work with xml files on the web. How
          this is done was posted recently. see my post. RE: Re[2]: [NH] Opera and
          objectDetection

          b) ie5.
          If you are working with an intranet which uses ie5 browsers then you can do
          the same sort of thing for the ie5 browser can host COM objects. Although
          you can use Data islands in ie I prefer to use a simular method as outlined
          above in a script block.
          var doc = new ActiveXObject("microsoft.xmldom"
          doc.load('xmlfile.xml')
          /*...use dom methods ....*/

          c) iis5 or iis4
          with asp jscript script block
          var doc = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM");
          doc.load(Server.MapPath("xmlfile.xml"));

          Of course you need to have a iis5 server installed on your system to test
          this. If you have w2k this is on disk as an install option otherwise
          download the nt4 option pack.
          The latest version of notetab enables you to preview your pages through a
          server. (great stuff)
          options/preview server side and set your path to the server here.

          The best way to learn about this stuff is by downloading the ms xml sdk
          available at.
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/default.asp