XML?

  • Wayland_B_Fowler@Raytheon.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2000
      Hi HTMLers,

      When reading articles about XML, many of them mention that there are XML
      editors. Does anyone know what they mean by this? I know, for example,
      while working in NoteTabPro, one can do a "Save File As" and save the file
      as ".html, .htm, ...". Is what they are implying, by speaking of an XML
      editor, having the ability to save the file as ".xml, .xsl, etc."?

      Eric and/or Jody, is it in the plans for NTP to include this capability? I
      know that I can write XML code in NTP. Is it possible, now, to save this
      type file as an XML file in NTP?

      Regards,

      Wayland Fowler
      Software Engineer (and all around nice guy!)
      (281) 280-4446
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2000
        Hi Wayland,

        Try Modify | Change HTML Tags | To xhtml and see if that is what
        you are looking for.

        >When reading articles about XML, many of them mention that there
        >are XML editors. Does anyone know what they mean by this? I
        >know, for example, while working in NoteTabPro, one can do a
        >"Save File As" and save the file as ".html, .htm, ...". Is what
        >they are implying, by speaking of an XML editor, having the
        >ability to save the file as ".xml, .xsl, etc."?
        >
        >Eric and/or Jody, is it in the plans for NTP to include this
        >capability? I know that I can write XML code in NTP. Is it
        >possible, now, to save this type file as an XML file in NTP?

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab and Html List...
        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
      • Bryan Guignard
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2000
          I just opened an XML file in NoteTab Pro and it does color coding the same way
          as if it were HTML. In essence it colors tags and comments. Since XML and HTML
          tags are similar, NoteTab seems capable of handling them both.

          NoteTab makes a good XML editor since XML documents are essentially only ASCII
          text files. It does lack built in tools for validating and parsing XML, but
          there are plenty of stand alone tools to do this already, and most of them are
          free. NoteTab can usually be made to work in conjunction with these extra tools.

          There are clip libraries (check the NoteTab site) for doing XML, XSLT, XHTML,
          XHTML CSS. I haven't seen any for XSL yet.

          There are several types of tools one can use in creating XML documents. There
          are tools for checking the document integrity (validators). NoteTab can be used
          to activate these stand alone tools.

          There are tools for parsing XML (displaying XML in a meaningful way). IE5 has
          some basic capabilities for doing this.

          There are tools for coding XML documents. XML SPY is one good example. It has
          buttons you can click to insert all sorts of XML elements and tags into your
          document. Some of these tools are graphical, others are text based. XML SPY is
          graphical, Microsoft XML Notepad is too. NoteTab on the other hand is text
          based, but CLIPS and ClipBars can add a lot of graphical capabilities like icons
          and dialog boxes (wizards) to your work environment to facilitate things.
          NoteTab gives you unlimited capabilities for customization in this area. Most
          other XML editors are not as generous and some cannot be customized at all (MS
          XML Notepad).

          Then there are tools which go beyond XML coding. What I'm referring to are
          things like search and replace tools, code colouring, scripting, automation etc.
          NoteTab is one of the most powerful editors (for any file format) in this
          regard.

          NoteTab has a built in Regex. This feature alone is worth 10 times the present
          price for NoteTab Pro. A Regex tool can literally save you hundreds of hours of
          repetitive and mind numbing work, which can translate into thousands of $$$ in
          savings.

          NoteTab has the CLIP scripting language. There is no end to how much work CLIPS
          can do for you. I'll use one example from my work. I manage a large glossary of
          XML terms. It's built as a NoteTab Outline file. I once converted that file to
          HTML manually. It took me an entire week of mind numbing work. With a CLIP (or
          NoteTab's built in HTML converter) I can convert that entire glossary to fully
          formatted and linked HTML (with over 500 cross links and a full table of
          contents), in mere SECONDS!! Not weeks, days, hours or minutes, but SECONDS!!

          If you think that's powerful, hold on. NoteTab can also link to the PERL
          interpreter and others. PERL scripting is vastly more powerful than CLIPS can
          ever be.

          CLIPS and other scripting tools can also be used to automate a lot of repetitive
          and time consuming tasks such updating folders full of files, generating reports
          and much more.

          Hope this helps.

          Bryan

          Red Leader wrote:

          > Wayland_B_Fowler@... wrote:
          > > When reading articles about XML, many of them mention that there are XML
          > > editors. Does anyone know what they mean by this? I know, for example,
          > > while working in NoteTabPro, one can do a "Save File As" and save the file
          > > as ".html, .htm, ...". Is what they are implying, by speaking of an XML
          > > editor, having the ability to save the file as ".xml, .xsl, etc."?
        • Red Leader
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2000
            Wayland_B_Fowler@... wrote:
            > When reading articles about XML, many of them mention that there are XML
            > editors. Does anyone know what they mean by this? I know, for example,
            > while working in NoteTabPro, one can do a "Save File As" and save the file
            > as ".html, .htm, ...". Is what they are implying, by speaking of an XML
            > editor, having the ability to save the file as ".xml, .xsl, etc."?

            Usually when they say "XML editor", they mean an editor that has syntax
            highlighting for XML and maybe some debugging features. It's more than
            being able to save as .xml, notepad can do that! Somebody has probably
            written a clip for NoteTab that supports XML, but the syntax
            highlighting won't be as good as a specific "XML editor". Not to knock
            NoteTab or anything....

            Emmett Hawkins
          • Wayland_B_Fowler@Raytheon.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2000
              Jody, Emmett, Brian,

              I thank you all for your replies.

              I just recently started learning and using HTML for some local intranet
              pages (rather simple stuff at that). The HTML language does not seem too
              difficult. Because I am the only one in my group to even attempt that, I
              have been given the task of learning XML for interfacing with a database
              tool to customize/improve its reporting capabilities. This database tool
              uses forms (customized by us) for entering data, although it will not
              "pretty print" the forms, only the data. So my task, also, includes
              retrieving data from the database tool and presenting in an MSIE5.5 browser
              to look like the tool's form, then it can be printed.

              I can see that I have my work cut out, learning more of the nuances of
              HTML, learning XML, learning more about NoteTabPro (I'm relatively new to
              NTP), learning more about Clips (how to write and incorporate them). I am
              more than confident about NTP's capabilities, just need to learn more about
              it. Practice, practice, practice.

              Brian, you seem to already have XML experience, may I send you an
              occasional question?

              Thanks, you guys for your input.

              Regards,

              Wayland Fowler
              Software Engineer (and all around nice guy!)
              (281) 280-4446
            • Eric G.V. Fookes
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 4, 2000
                Hi Wayland,

                I have a good example of a Clip library that handles XML files. Software
                developers now have a new standard for publishing descriptions of their
                products. This standard has the acronym PAD and it is stored in the form of
                a plain XML file. Take a look at the following page to see what NoteTab is
                capable of doing with these PAD files:

                http://www.notetab.com/pad/

                Regards,
                Eric Fookes
                -----------
                NoteTab v4.82 available from

              • Grant
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 4, 2000
                  > I just recently started learning and using HTML for some local intranet
                  > pages (rather simple stuff at that). The HTML language does not seem too
                  > difficult. Because I am the only one in my group to even attempt that, I
                  > have been given the task of learning XML for interfacing with a database
                  > tool to customize/improve its reporting capabilities. This database tool
                  > uses forms (customized by us) for entering data, although it will not
                  > "pretty print" the forms, only the data. So my task, also, includes
                  > retrieving data from the database tool and presenting in an
                  > MSIE5.5 browser
                  > to look like the tool's form, then it can be printed.

                  Does this database tool return XML. If so just send an abbreviated example.

                  Some thoughts on using xml with notetab

                  on learning html with xml in mind.
                  Learn xhtml instead of html and stick to the strict dtd.
                  In doing so you will understand the concepts of well formedness and
                  validation and the separation of structure from presentation which are also
                  important concepts in xml.
                  Learn JavaScript and how to use the DOM (DocumentObjectModel.)

                  On using notetab with xml.
                  If you are working in a m$oft environment you need to learn how to
                  instantiate com objects in a suitable host for the ms xml parser is a com
                  object.
                  The HOSTS
                  a) wsh as a client can instantiate COM objects
                  b) ie5 as gui client can instantiate COM objects
                  c) iis5 as a server can instantiate COM objects

                  a)WSH
                  Using the WSH and notetab you can instantiate the ms xml parser(var doc =
                  new ActiveXObject("microsoft.xmldom"). Load a local xml file
                  then use dom methods to extract data from the file or directly manipulate it
                  and then send any results back to Notetab with^$GetOutput()$
                  You can also use the same methods to work with xml files on the web. How
                  this is done was posted recently. see my post. RE: Re[2]: [NH] Opera and
                  objectDetection

                  b) ie5.
                  If you are working with an intranet which uses ie5 browsers then you can do
                  the same sort of thing for the ie5 browser can host COM objects. Although
                  you can use Data islands in ie I prefer to use a simular method as outlined
                  above in a script block.
                  var doc = new ActiveXObject("microsoft.xmldom"
                  doc.load('xmlfile.xml')
                  /*...use dom methods ....*/

                  c) iis5 or iis4
                  with asp jscript script block
                  var doc = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM");
                  doc.load(Server.MapPath("xmlfile.xml"));

                  Of course you need to have a iis5 server installed on your system to test
                  this. If you have w2k this is on disk as an install option otherwise
                  download the nt4 option pack.
                  The latest version of notetab enables you to preview your pages through a
                  server. (great stuff)
                  options/preview server side and set your path to the server here.

                  The best way to learn about this stuff is by downloading the ms xml sdk
                  available at.
                  http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/default.asp