[NH] Re: Any ideas on a shopping cart?

  • Steve Veltcamp
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 20, 1999
      I'm going to have to disagree with a few things some of the usually sage folks have said.

      You do not need any kind of database for a shopping cart. There is a quite good one available for free from Arpanet.com called Perlshop. I have installed about a dozen applications of it.

      While some ISP's will want to install scripts themselves or inspect scripts, I won't be on that kind of host. I want total control over my own CGI-bin, meaning I can install just about whatever.

      For more powerful shopping carts, I recommend Miva Merchant. It does use a database, but an internal one and no SQL. It is not free, however, you'll spend $400-$700 depending on whether the host has the Miva engine installed.

      On a similar note - I've made an offline shopping cart that works in Notetab. I produce catalogs on floppy disk with it. I was very interested in the question posted earlier on whether we could get Notetab clips to somehow work on a server, because then I'd have my own Web shopping cart!

      --
      For mutual success,
      Steve Veltkamp, Biz$hop Online

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
    • Glenn Dixon
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 20, 1999
        If you have an NT/IIS server as host for the web site in question, you might
        consider an ASP shopping cart. Here's a link to a sample using VBScript (i
        think).....

        http://local.15seconds.com/search/goto.asp?Goto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Easp101%2E
        com%2Fsamples%2Fshopping%2Easp%3Faction%3Dcheckout

        Glenn Dixon
        glenn@...
        http://thedixons.net

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
      • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 20, 1999
          Glen,

          That did not get me there, but I got to the main page and went from
          there.

          Thanks!

          Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
          http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/ ***NEW Address***