[NH] local anchors & spacers

  • ChrisPye@woodcarver.force9.co.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21 9:15 AM
      Kevin
      Thanks for the suggestions.
      >Depending on what version of NS you are using I
      >have found this to be of significance...make sure
      >you have a <BR> before the actual Named
      >Anchor...i.e. <BR><A NAME="news"></A>

      I'm using NS4.0 and I'm sorry to say I couldn't get your solution to
      work. NS still bombs to the bottom of the page. I tried all sorts of
      variations on it too.
      My named anchor is this, in a (page)table:
      <TR><TD COLSPAN="2" HEIGHT="3"> <A NAME="news"> </A></TD></TR>
      I thought NS might be confusing the   sign so I changed that to
      'news', and missed out completely as you have above, but to no avail. I
      split the page table and placed the anchor on its own, outside any
      table; with and without <BR>, and everything else.

      So, WITHIN any particular page NS4 will whip like a ferret to a named
      anchor, but it doesn't want to combine the two actions going to another
      page and then finding the anchor page(<A HREF="linked.html#named_anchor
      ">name</A>.
      Anything up your other sleeve?

      Interesting thoughts about IE and NS.
      >I have found that NS also "misses" the
      >"spacer.gif" (embedded Tables), and all I can
      >recommend is that you make sure that the .gif is
      >"clear", and that your path to it is
      >correct...aside from that using a   (in a
      >blank TD) and defining the actual size (WIDTH= and
      >HEIGHT=) of your Table Data Cell (TD) will
      >recitify the need for the "spacer.gif", if you are
      >using Netscape 4.x and above...
      By 'clear' you mean really, really transparent'? I tried gifs from at
      least 5 sources... Like you I've now been using more   to avoid
      the problem. It's the inconsistency I can't figure. Should I take out
      even the one's the NS renders invisible in case it changes its mind?
      Of the 2 browsers it's always been NS which has the quirk so far,
      though that might be because I use IE4 as the one I construct in.
      Since the two browsers cover the majority of visitors, it means that
      either both do something or neither to be consistent. I dread to think
      what might happen when I test on other browsers out there...
      Regards
      Chris

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
    • Grant
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 21 3:05 PM
        Chris
        > My named anchor is this, in a (page)table:
        > <TR><TD COLSPAN="2" HEIGHT="3"> <A NAME="news"> </A></TD></TR>

        > So, WITHIN any particular page NS4 will whip like a ferret to a named
        > anchor, but it doesn't want to combine the two actions going to another
        > page and then finding the anchor page(<A HREF="linked.html#named_anchor
        > ">name</A>.
        > Anything up your other sleeve?

        The only way I could replicate it was to by capitalising the HREF's
        attributes value.
        <A HREF="linked.html#news ">name</A>
        <A HREF="linked.html#News ">name</A>

        In this case IE4+ is more forgiving and ignores case
        however nn4 + looks for the bookmark until it reaches the bottom.

        Check your case and I think you will find your problem.
        PS;If you use enough javaScript which is casesensitive checking case becomes
        2nd nature.

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html