[NH] Re: local anchors and spacers

  • Kevin A. Krall
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 1999
      Hello,

      ...maybe this will help?

      > This is a link I have on a web page:
      > <A HREF="../intro/aims.html#news">newsletter</A>
      > In IE4 the visitor clicks on 'newsletter' and away they go to the
      > 'aims.html' page then straight down to the local anchor 'news', with
      > details of the newsletter they want. Perfect.
      > In NS4 the visitor ends up at the BOTTOM of the 'aims.html' and, having
      > not stopped at the newsletter anchor, haven't a clue where they are.
      > Problemo!

      Depending on what version of NS you are using I have found this to be of
      significance...make sure you have a <BR> before the actual Named
      Anchor...i.e. <BR><A NAME="news"></A>

      > Is there a another way of telling NS to look harder for the anchor?

      I think the above will work...

      > And another funny thing about NS: why does it show up transparent
      > 'spacer gifs' sometimes (and only sometimes, on a page with several
      > that remain invisible), where IE never does?
      > I'd appreciate your thoughts...

      Netscape is somewhat "stricter" about it's parsing of HTML that is why you
      find three factions of developers:

      1. those who rave about NetScape being "compliant" in the strictest
      sense...(although somewhat short 63% of total compliance)
      2. then you have those who rave about all the "cool" implementations that IE
      allows...compliance and then some (90% compliance HTML 4.0 & CSS1), but
      there extensions and add-ons get you (not cross-platform)
      3. then you have those developers who develop for both (have to for a
      living), these developers don't say too much about either, because they are
      too busy trying to figure out what will work in both...;-)

      I have found that NS also "misses" the "spacer.gif" (embedded Tables), and
      all I can recommend is that you make sure that the .gif is "clear", and that
      your path to it is correct...aside from that using a   (in a blank TD)
      and defining the actual size (WIDTH= and HEIGHT=) of your Table Data Cell
      (TD) will recitify the need for the "spacer.gif", if you are using Netscape
      4.x and above...

      Hope this helps!
      Kevin
      WebLucent, Inc.