[NH] Re: Any ideas on a shopping cart?

  • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 20, 1999
      Wayne & Bill,

      Thanks for the information. I figured it was probably that complex. I
      could probably do it, but it sounds like it is much more involved than I
      have time for.

      On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 08:36:52 GMT wayne@... (Wayne VanWeerthuizen)
      writes:
      >I do not know of any free tutorials, although they likely exist.
      >
      >Here is a quick overview of how the process works. Realize it is
      >MUCH more involved then merely creating a page in HTML and uploading it.

      Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
      http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/ ***NEW Address***
      My Web Site: http://members.tripod.com/notlimaH/

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
    • Steve Veltcamp
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 20, 1999
        I'm going to have to disagree with a few things some of the usually sage folks have said.

        You do not need any kind of database for a shopping cart. There is a quite good one available for free from Arpanet.com called Perlshop. I have installed about a dozen applications of it.

        While some ISP's will want to install scripts themselves or inspect scripts, I won't be on that kind of host. I want total control over my own CGI-bin, meaning I can install just about whatever.

        For more powerful shopping carts, I recommend Miva Merchant. It does use a database, but an internal one and no SQL. It is not free, however, you'll spend $400-$700 depending on whether the host has the Miva engine installed.

        On a similar note - I've made an offline shopping cart that works in Notetab. I produce catalogs on floppy disk with it. I was very interested in the question posted earlier on whether we could get Notetab clips to somehow work on a server, because then I'd have my own Web shopping cart!

        --
        For mutual success,
        Steve Veltkamp, Biz$hop Online

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
      • Glenn Dixon
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 20, 1999
          If you have an NT/IIS server as host for the web site in question, you might
          consider an ASP shopping cart. Here's a link to a sample using VBScript (i
          think).....

          http://local.15seconds.com/search/goto.asp?Goto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Easp101%2E
          com%2Fsamples%2Fshopping%2Easp%3Faction%3Dcheckout

          Glenn Dixon
          glenn@...
          http://thedixons.net

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 20, 1999
            Glen,

            That did not get me there, but I got to the main page and went from
            there.

            Thanks!

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 20, 1999
              Steve,